PDA

View Full Version : Motor Mount Question

Mike Spencer
01-15-2006, 09:15 PM
OK, this isn't really a racing question. But I know SOMEBODY out there must know this stuff!

My daughter has "inherited" her mom's '92 civic with a B15 16-valve that got toasted when my wife decided that even though the temp gauge was pegged (it blew a water pump) she wasn't about to walk home so she drove it another 3 miles.

My son convinced me to buy a JDM B15 (also 16-valve) motor for $600 that supposedly has about 15,000 miles on it.

PROBLEM: The old motor is out, the new motor is in, BUT... although the rear and right side motor mounts fit perfectly, the left-side motor mount doesn't match up at all. The OEM engine bracket has two posts that are parallel to the fender. The JDM engine bracket has the same two posts, but they are angled about 45 degrees from parallel. :bash_1_:

I talked to the kids at the local (Raleigh) ricer shop, and they told me to move the bracket over from the old motor to the new one. That doesn't seem to be viable, since the bracket appears to be cast as part of the block. :(

Has anyone else come across this? Are there places to buy JDM motor mounts? The guys at the ricer shop say "no", but I'm willing to listen to a second opinion.

Thanks in advance.

{BTW, please don't hold the fact that I race a Mazda against me! :unsure: }

R2 Racing
01-16-2006, 12:14 AM
Mike, I'm struggling to understand your situation since there is no such thing as a B15. Not in this country or any other. Check and make sure that the original engine was a D15 (it should be, assuming it's a non-vtec engine) - should be a D15B7 or a D15B8. As for the JDM engine, again, B15 is wrong. Take a look at the code on the block and tell me what it is. From that I can tell you what car it came out of and if it should fit in your car. You may have bought a JDM B16A or something which would not fit that car. But again, just verify the codes and I can tell you what to do.

We'll figure it out - Honda's are very versatile little cars, much more so than Mazda's. :P

iambhooper
01-16-2006, 07:14 AM
Mike,

While I can't help you with the answer... hopefully, I can point you towards a couple of places that could.

http://www.carolinahondas.com/forums/index.php?
http://www.honda-tech.com/zeromain
http://www.redpepperracing.com/forums/index.php

Best of luck!
hoop

jlucas
01-16-2006, 07:28 AM
You could also try calling Hasport (http://hasport.com/) as they make mounts for all kinds of Honda motor swaps.

Mike Spencer
01-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by R2 Racing@Jan 16 2006, 04:14 AM
Mike, I'm struggling to understand your situation since there is no such thing as a B15. Not in this country or any other. Check and make sure that the original engine was a D15 (it should be, assuming it's a non-vtec engine) - should be a D15B7 or a D15B8. As for the JDM engine, again, B15 is wrong. Take a look at the code on the block and tell me what it is. From that I can tell you what car it came out of and if it should fit in your car. You may have bought a JDM B16A or something which would not fit that car. But again, just verify the codes and I can tell you what to do.

We'll figure it out - Honda's are very versatile little cars, much more so than Mazda's. :P

OK, I probably got my codes mixed up. (Mazda's may be less versatile, but all you need to know is; 12A, 13B, and 20B! :P )

The engine is probably a D15 (the anemic one). I'm absolutely POSITIVE it's a 1.5 liter. The "old" motor has 16 valves and makes (I believe) about 102 HP from the factory. The car is a 1992 4-door civic. The new motor looks almost exactly like to old one, complete with "16 valve" on the valve cover. If you still need the numbers I can get them (It's dark right now and the racecar trumps the "project" for garage space!).

Thanks a BUNCH to everyone!!!!!! :023: Lots of stuff to check out in the meantime.

itaintegra31
01-16-2006, 10:44 PM
Mike,
You can just move the bracket over from the old motor, they are not cast in, take timing covers off and it un-bolts.

R2 Racing
01-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by itaintegra31@Jan 16 2006, 09:44 PM
Mike,
You can just move the bracket over from the old motor, they are not cast in, take timing covers off and it un-bolts.

This should be correct but I'd still like to know the engine code on at least the new JDM engine. If your car is a 1.5L 4 door than the stock engine was the D15B7; the "DX" engine. I'm just curious what you ended up buying because I've never heared of someone buying a "JDM" D15. Pretty much any engine that makes its way across the pond is at least a vtec D16.

stevel
01-17-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by R2 Racing@Jan 17 2006, 02:01 PM
This should be correct but I'd still like to know the engine code on at least the new JDM engine. If your car is a 1.5L 4 door than the stock engine was the D15B7; the "DX" engine. I'm just curious what you ended up buying because I've never heared of someone buying a "JDM" D15. Pretty much any engine that makes its way across the pond is at least a vtec D16.

the JDM d15b swap is pretty popular. It's a vtec motor, basically a destroked d16z6. They share the same head, but the d15 has a better r/s ratio so it was made to rev out a little more. There is also a JDM D15 motor that has a 3 stage vtec, you can tell by the 2 vtec solenoids. Most of the d series nowadays that make there way over will be d15b's. They're super cheap and really nice motors.

And like itaintegra31 said, the bracket bolts to the block. Take off those timing covers and you'll see it.

Mike Spencer
01-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by itaintegra31@Jan 17 2006, 02:44 AM
Mike,

OK, *THIS* road I've been down before. The first time the water pump failed I tried to fix it myself. Getting to the water pump requires removing the timing chain cover. Getting that off requires removing the main pulley.

This is where the fun begins. I just couldn't get the stupid nut off the pulley! I finally gave up and took it to a Honda shop. They kind of snickered when they found out what I was trying to do. Apparently, the nut is torqued at the factory to approximately 600 ft. lbs! :119: They have a special 1 inch impact gun to do that. (I don't!)

(The reason I thought it was cast as part of the block is because I have only been able to remove the upper half of the timing cover)

Or am I missing something?????

help!

itaintegra31
01-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Mike,

Honda and other tool companys make a special tool that will hold the crank pully so you can use a large breaker bar to remove the crank bolt to get the pully off and then the timing covers, if you can't find one of the special tools a chain wrench will also work.

racer-025
01-18-2006, 01:18 PM
If it does not have the Vtec solonoids, you might have bought a JDM SOHC ZC 1.6L engine that came out of a base model Honda Integra. That is very similar to our D16A6 or D15 DX engines.

Mike Spencer
01-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by itaintegra31@Jan 18 2006, 02:37 AM
Mike,

Honda and other tool companys make a special tool that will hold the crank pully so you can use a large breaker bar to remove the crank bolt to get the pully off and then the timing covers, if you can't find one of the special tools a chain wrench will also work.

As luck would have it, my wife's Accord had to go in for a "check engine" light problem. I took the oppotunity to talk to one of the mechanics at the shop. He was *VERY* helpful. He brought out the tool I need to show me and point out that the only place I can get one is either at a Honda dealer (the MOST expensive), and a tool truck (i.e. Mac or Snap-On).

I'm practically there, guys. Thanks a BUNCH!!!!!!!