PDA

View Full Version : Cage transplant possible?

gran racing
01-13-2006, 11:06 AM
After spending some quality time with my baby last night, I’ve come to the realization that eventually it’ll need some cosmetic surgery. While trying to develop a budget to do this, one item I question is related to the cage. Is it possible to transplant my existing cage into the new tub? If so, is that typically a difficult and costly process?

To preface this, I’m not looking for the “have someone build you a new cage which will benefit you…” answer.

Thanks.

jc836
01-13-2006, 11:11 AM
With time, money and desire anything may well be possible. The cage can be removed either whole or in parts. The best solution would be to take the roof off both chassis and go from there. If you are planning to upgrade the existing cage, this is also a good time for that.

dave parker
01-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Dave
It has been done, I know because I helped do it. It is a much easier job with a bolt in cage. It can be done with a welded in cage but it is MUCH more labor intensive.

As was advised this is the best time to do any upgrades or redesigns to the cage that you have considered.

The logbook follows the cage so you will want to get with your local chief of tech as to how he would like to do the notations in the logbook on the VIN number change if you use a new tub.

Good Luck
"dangerous" dave parker

Bill Miller
01-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Dave,

I've heard of people moving the cage from one car to another. As was mentioned, you usually cut the roof off . One thing to make sure you're aware of, is that you have to go get a new log book.

gran racing
01-13-2006, 01:48 PM
I'll admit I'm pretty clueless with welding. (Jake G. - don't say it!) Can the cage "joints" be unwelded then assembled back again?

Cutting the roof when I have a basic cage seems like more trouble then it would be worth. :(

Bill Miller
01-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by gran racing@Jan 13 2006, 11:48 AM
I'll admit I'm pretty clueless with welding. (Jake G. - don't say it!) Can the cage "joints" be unwelded then assembled back again?

Cutting the roof when I have a basic cage seems like more trouble then it would be worth. :(

Not really Dave, and it would end up costing more than a new cage.

Knestis
01-13-2006, 03:07 PM
If the removable roof option isn't for you (and it would all but certainly be the most affordable), it's possible to cut the cage out in sections, replacing or sleeve-jointing any elements that have to be cut. I agree that this would probably be almost as expensive (or moreso) than just doing a new cage.

We thought about a transplant as a solution to our problem but only for a couple of seconds, since the cage didn't fit at all well after we took out the interior. (One of my larger race planning blunders.)

K

Speed Raycer
01-13-2006, 05:21 PM
I recently installed a weld in cage in an RX7 that I had cut out of another rx (long story and several owners in between). Basically, by the time the reinstall was finished, the bill was only 2-300 short of a brand new cage install.

The only way that I see reusing a typical 6point cage as cost effective is if you can weld it in yourself, or if you're very good at bodywork ;) .

That being said, if there are any questionable straight tubes/welds, they're the prime candidate for hacking. Removing the rear hoop supports and replacing them with new ones might make your install a bit easier, but you don't really want to weld to the same place on a tube twice .

spnkzss
01-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Been there done that. Cut the roof off, pull the cage out whole, put roof back on, reweld to floor, have inspected. I would not recommend this to the Harry homeowner. Find someone who knows what they are doing. You need to support it properly so the windows go back in and you have to be somewhat precise. It's best to support the car on a lift when you start cutting. You will also need to repaint most if not all of the car.

It is doable. If you know someone or have some friends in low places it can be done realitivly cheap. If you need to pay someone to do it all then you would be better off with a new cage and move suspension over yourself.

HTH

charrbq
01-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Been there, done that, but it was with a wrecked car into a fresh one.

Step 1...cut roof off destroyed Civic Si

Step 2...disassembled bolted cage for fresh paint

Step 3...reassemble bolted cage in new Civic DX

Modifications insue.

Step 4...New car, new log book, obliterated old number, new number stamped

Let's go racing! :D

lateapex911
01-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Dave, call me on this! but the short answer is yes....

joeg
01-14-2006, 10:51 AM
I agree; you can certainly do this.

However everyone's advice is still correct and you really would need to do most of the work yourself to make it economically feasible.

Of course, since most of us build and/or maintain our race cars as part of the hobby, do not place any value on your time!

Have fun.

bldn10
01-14-2006, 12:02 PM
I had a cage in a 2nd gen. RX-7 that was transplanted not once but twice! We did not cut off the roofs but cut the rear down tubes and side tubes and wrestled it out the hatch. The tubes were rejoined w/ 10" x 1/4" steel sleeves and 2 big bolts in each. The cutting and welding was done by my brother's farm manager, I had a friend in the conveyor erection business who cut and gave me the sleeves and bolts, and I did the drilling (tedious) and bolting, so it cost me hardly a thing. :D That and a $500 tub and I was back in business.

gran racing
01-14-2006, 12:10 PM
The steel sleeves thing...I would imagine that weakens the cage a bit, no?

Of course, since most of us build and/or maintain our race cars as part of the hobby, do not place any value on your time! Something like that. ;)

backformore
01-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Just a thought. If you are doing purely cosmetic surgery, you may be able to pay to have a cage put in your new tub and then sell the old tub, cage and all, to someone who is not concerned about cosmetics but wants a tub with a cage as a good starting point (if the price is right). I could see this being attractive particularly if the tub was to be used for Prod where much of the sheet metal could be replaced.

This might allow a significant cage upgrade without a significant cost increase.

Just a thought.

gran racing
01-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Unfortunately the frame is bent a bit (even after going on a frame straightening machine). Based on responses so far, it might be worth having a body shop take a look at what could be done with the frame and rust again. But that was a good idea!

p.keane
01-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Dave, I have done it, but all you are saving is the cost of some of the tubing.

1. Cut roof off
2. Cut cage out of old car
3. Cut "A" pillar bars and door bars from main hoop.
4. Clean up the cage
5. Slip main hoop and rear down bars into new car. (Pain in the a$$ cause it is a tight fit)
6. Refit "A" pillar and door bars to main hoop. (I ended up make new door bars)

If you cut the cage out very carefully you do not lose to much. Good luck. PK