PDA

View Full Version : NASA Northeast 2006 Schedule

tcpip
01-12-2006, 06:53 PM
http://www.nasaproracing.com/calendar/northeast.html

Just in case anyone has tried looking at the NASA Northeast website or the PDA Driving School website, and couldn't find the dates for the races.

anthony1k
01-12-2006, 07:55 PM
It looks like NASA will be hosting a 944 Cup series in the Northeast in 2006. Here is the schedule.

Rd 1
May 5 Pocono South (1 race) (NASA)(Comp School)
May 6 Pocono East (1 race) (NASA)
May 7 Pocono South (1 race)(EMRA)

Rd 2
May 8-9 Watkins Glen (NASA) (2 races)

Rd 3
June 3-4 BeaveRun (3 races)(EMRA)

Rd 4
July 1-2 Mosport (3 races) (CASC)

Rd 5
August 4-5 Lime Rock (2 races) (NASA)

Rd 6
Aug 19 Pocono Long Course(1 hour enduro only) (EMRA)
Aug 20 Pocono Long Course (1 sprint race) (NASA)

I'm not sure whether they will be doing anything with any of the other classes. The email that I received was not very clear.

Greg Amy
01-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Hey, great. As long as you don't mind spending your entire month of August racing with NASA (and don't mind missing the SCCA LRP and NHIS Regional/Enduros) you too can qualify for the Mid-Ohio bash only three weekends later. Join NASA and learn how to compress an entire race season into only 6 weeks...

Well, it's a good start, anyway.

anthony1k
01-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by GregAmy@Jan 13 2006, 12:00 AM
Hey, great. As long as you don't mind spending your entire month of August racing with NASA (and don't mind missing the SCCA LRP and NHIS Regional/Enduros) you too can qualify for the Mid-Ohio bash only three weekends later. Join NASA and learn how to compress an entire race season into only 6 weeks...

Well, it's a good start, anyway.

No way I'll be missing SCCA LRP in August.
I don't see a downside with NASA expanding in the Northeast. The more choices the better. Now, if someone could build a new track in the Northeast...

dpc
01-13-2006, 12:12 PM
I wonder what their entry fees will be at LRP, or better yet what LRP is charging them for the weekend. just curious dave

dominojd
01-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Some of those dates are not totally correct from the info I recieved.

gran racing
01-16-2006, 09:41 AM
The race dates - really? Then why publish them!

andrew240z
01-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by gran racing@Jan 16 2006, 01:41 PM

From what I hear they may be muffled 87DB Races.....

Greg Amy
01-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by andrew240z@Jan 16 2006, 03:06 PM

That would scratch me... - GA

lateapex911
01-17-2006, 12:29 AM
Ditto! Coming up with 12 dB would be very tough...if the HP was to remain.

dominojd
01-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by gran racing@Jan 16 2006, 01:41 PM

Only a few are off from what I have. Unless they changed them from the schedule I got. I got my schedule strait from PDA/NASA NE

Rd 1
May 5 Pocono South (1 race) (NASA)(Comp School)
This is pretty accurate except for the fact it most likely will not be the south course it will be the east.

May 7 Pocono South (1 race)(EMRA)
This has nothing to do with NASA NE.

Rd 2
May 8-9 Watkins Glen (NASA) (2 races)
All I have is one race on the 9th.

Rd 5
August 4-5 Lime Rock (2 races) (NASA)
Unfortunately yes this will be a muffled event.

Rd 6
Aug 20 Pocono Long Course (1 sprint race) (NASA)
This will be Honda Challendge + other sprints.

The classes that are running at each event have not been determined yet. They are trying to make it so that NE guys will have enough races to qualify for the National at MId-O.

dominojd
01-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by andrew240z@Jan 16 2006, 08:06 PM

The only race that will be muffled is LRP. That I believe is 89db.

Greg Amy
01-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by dominojd@Jan 17 2006, 08:03 AM
The only race that will be muffled is LRP. That I believe is 89db.

I understand the limitations are not PDA/NASA's; there just aren't any more unmuffled race weekends available. However, with this sound restriction I suspect it will temper the attendance and could very well be a money-loser for NASA (unless they increase the entry fees, which will temper the entries further; a financially disastrous Catch-22).

If I remember correctly, each increase of 10dB is a doubling of the sound level. In general, most of our SCCA cars pound out mid- to high-90s dB. That means most cars will have to find a way to halve the sound level; a very difficult thing to do without significant expense and/or affect on power.

I seem to recall my NX blows a 96 at NHIS, and that's with the meter on the right side (where my side-exit exhaust points) probably about 50 feet away. The meter at LRP is typically placed halfway down the back straight driver's right. The only way I could get mine down to the 87-89 level would be to completely replace my exhaust system with a rear-exit one and muffler/resonators. Others may be able to get away with a turnout pointing driver's left.

In my case, that's too much trouble and expense for just one race weekend per year... - GA

gran racing
01-17-2006, 10:17 AM
However, with this sound restriction I suspect it will temper the attendance and could very well be a money-loser for NASA (unless they increase the entry fees, which will temper the entries further; a financially disastrous Catch-22).

From my understanding (and it could be totally incorrect), many of these dates will be HPDE / Racing dates. HPDE events at LRP do very well, regardless of the fact that entry fees continue to rise. I am curious how many run groups would be dedicated towards racing versus HPDE groups.

Greg Amy
01-17-2006, 10:32 AM
They actually run these quite well, if Hyperfest '04 is any indication. I recall three (?) race groups, and at least as many HPDE groups, if not more. They quickly and efficiently run the HPDEs between the racers with very little dead air between them (in fact, I could be wrong but I seem to recall the race group being let out virtually the same time they were recovering the last of the DE'rs!)

The market for HPDE is DRAMATICALLY bigger than that for racers, so this is not surprising. It's also a clever way of maintaining revenue (now if SCCA can only find a way to exclude the FVs and both of the faster formula and sports racer cars...just kidding...probably...) - GA

Jake
01-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by GregAmy@Jan 17 2006, 01:35 PM
I suspect it will temper the attendance and could very well be a money-loser for NASA

I highly doubt this. Just look at our pals at EMRA. Their LRP event is almost always overbooked and they always run it on an muffled day too. I plan on running with NASA, as I do with EMRA every year. My experience with both organizations has been excellent, and there is a much lower key - racing just for fun attitude - than I find with the $CCA.

gran racing
01-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Jake, you're missing a huge part of the equasion here. Look at the date that EMRA books the one race at LRP. In 2006, it is 10/28. Brrrr! The price clubs pay does depend on the date chosen. I'll guarantee that the EMRA date does not even come close to what SCCA pays Lime Rock for their dates.

Not to knock on any of the smaller clubs, but you also need to take a close look at each club closely. I was absolutely shocked that it takes SCCA nearly 100 volunteers to host a LRP weekend!!! How many trained corner workers do you see at each station for SCCA events? I also took some things SCCA does for granted.

Wreckerboy
01-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Jake+Jan 17 2006, 11:02 AM-->
I highly doubt this. Just look at our pals at EMRA. Their LRP event is almost always overbooked and they always run it on an muffled day too. I plan on running with NASA, as I do with EMRA every year. My experience with both organizations has been excellent, and there is a much lower key - racing just for fun attitude - than I find with the $CCA.

[/b]

Jake - thanks for the kind words. I'll look forward to seeing you again this season.

<!--QuoteBegin-gran racing@Jan 17 2006, 01:59 PM
Jake, you&#39;re missing a huge part of the equasion here. Look at the date that EMRA books the one race at LRP. In 2006, it is 10/28. Brrrr! The price clubs pay does depend on the date chosen. I&#39;ll guarantee that the EMRA date does not even come close to what SCCA pays Lime Rock for their dates.

Dave - I wouldn&#39;t make that bet if I were you. I only wish that EMRA got preferential pricing, but that ain&#39;t the case. Lime Rock charges us (EMRA) the same rental fee for our race date that they would charge the SCCA at that time of year. The only difference *may* be in our cost for the Friday Time Trial date, which, because it is not wheel to wheel racing, is slightly less expensive. There is a difference between what LRP charges from September to October. Not huge, but a difference. LRP has always been expensive, and we got hit by the same large increase in cost that everybody else did a year or two back.

EMRA has traditionally had an October date there - I&#39;ve stood on grid during snow flurries and wondered if we were going to run out of daylight before we finished.

gran racing
01-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Lime Rock charges us (EMRA) the same rental fee for our race date that they would charge the SCCA at that time of year.

In no way do I disagree with you here, but I don&#39;t think a person can compare the cost of a late Oct. event with a June / July "prime time" event. It has nothing to do with the club hosting the event but timing.

dpc
01-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey guys, wait a minute. what about that date in Aug, or am I missing something? dave