PDA

View Full Version : Rolex 24

gsbaker
01-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Testing has begun and the field is said to be large.

Any IT.com members going to be in Daytona at the end of the month?

billf
01-07-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm not planning on the Rolex this year because of time constriants, but I and friends are going ot Sebring. Will you be at Sebring, and are you going as a business man or turist? :)

Thanks,

Bill

gsbaker
01-07-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm always the tourist, Bill. :)

R2 Racing
01-08-2006, 06:52 PM
I decided to not go to the 24 this year since I've been there 3 of the last 4 years. I'm still thinking about going to Sebring though. I'll be down in the keys during that weekend but haven't decided if I want to make the ~4-5 hour drive up or not. Has anyone seen a schedule for that weekend yet?

Dave Burchfield
01-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Gregg,

I would go, and have had worker credentials, but the charge to drive my rig in there is so out of line, I won't be going.

Kevin,

I am at the 10MM until late in Feb. How far down are you coming? There is a bit of a racer contingent in the neighborhood here.

I'll just be content to watch it on Speed and fish during the commercials and other breaks.

db

R2 Racing
01-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Dave Burchfield@Jan 8 2006, 06:48 PM
Kevin,

I am at the 10MM until late in Feb. How far down are you coming? There is a bit of a racer contingent in the neighborhood here.

I'll just be content to watch it on Speed and fish during the commercials and other breaks.

db

Dave,
I'm not sure that I know what "the 10mm" is. But I'll be down in Islamorada from the 10th through the 20th - "her" Dad's got a place there. :023: I was going to try and hit Sebring on the 17th and 18th but with the added driving and expense and the "why would anyone leave the keys if they don't have to?", I think I'll be passing.

Dave Burchfield
01-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Kevin,

10MM is Keyspeak for 10 mile marker. I am at the Geiger Key Marina from mid December until late February. Ron Sharp(race chair of the Runoffs) is here also until Daytona. C'mon down and we will share an adult beverage or get you out on the water.

db

gsbaker
01-09-2006, 02:10 PM
You lightweights. If you were real racers you would be at the Rolex. ;) :D

planet6racing
01-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by gsbaker@Jan 9 2006, 12:10 PM
You lightweights. If you were real racers you would be at the Rolex. ;) :D

And if you were a real sponsor, you'd pony up the cash!!! :D :D :023: :P :P :smilie_pokal: :smilie_pokal:

gsbaker
01-09-2006, 02:58 PM
LOL!

Okay, c'mon down Bill! At $20 per day it's not exactly a budget buster. :)

Unless, of course, you are talking the 4 day megapass that let's you do everything but drive....

http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/misc/Rolex24.jpg

I am so bad.

R2 Racing
01-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Jeez Gregg, I said that I've been there 3 of the last 4 years. I don't quite remember a good part of last years race from about 4am to 9am though. :birra: :birra: :birra:

Dave, I'it looks like I'll be missing you by a couple of weeks.

Dave Burchfield
01-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Gregg,

At $600 to park and work a flag station as a volunteer, it is a bit rich for my blood. I planned my vacation to be there on the way home year before last but decided it was just a bit much. Maybe I should plan to just drive in and spectate some year. By the way, I did wave on the way by, did you wave back?

db

gsbaker
01-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Dave Burchfield@Jan 9 2006, 06:22 PM
Gregg,

At $600 to park and work a flag station as a volunteer, it is a bit rich for my blood. I planned my vacation to be there on the way home year before last but decided it was just a bit much.
Agreed, especially since you are volunteering. I understand that for 10 days worth of oval races an RV spot in T3 is about $3K.

Maybe I should plan to just drive in and spectate some year.
It is fun, and very budget friendly if you just want grandstand and infield seats.

By the way, I did wave on the way by, did you wave back?

db

You should have called as you went by; I had to stand at that window waving all day long just to make sure I didn't miss you. ;)

You guys have fun in the Keys! :023:

gsbaker
01-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by R2 Racing@Jan 8 2006, 06:52 PM
...Has anyone seen a schedule for that weekend yet?

Right here. (http://www.daytonaintlspeedway.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=923)

Despr8dave
01-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Talked to a customer of ours today that is racing a Porsche. He said this weekend's practice was crazy with 79 cars trying to get in the race. More black flags and yellows than he had ever seen in practice with all the different "talent" racing around out there. He had that "Red Mist" look as he was talking to me. Damn I jealous.
If I go, it will be a spur of da moment, moment, .....I'll look for ya Greg.

David

Mattberg
01-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Anyone at Homestead this past weekend who stayed at the track got a treat after dinner Saturday night. As we were drinking our beers and bench racing, the roar of an engine was heard. Then we heard a car go out on track. What the heck?

Hurley Haywood roared past us testing his Red Bull Daytona Prototype under the lights. All I can say is... very, very cool. :happy204:

gsbaker
01-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Any updates? Just three days to go.

Charles Perry
01-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Greg I will be there with a couple of IT guys. I am from Jacksonville, bought an Issiacs from you as well. Where will you be hanging?
Charles Perry

gsbaker
01-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Charles Perry@Jan 23 2006, 05:42 PM
Greg I will be there with a couple of IT guys. I am from Jacksonville, bought an Issiacs from you as well. Where will you be hanging?
Charles Perry

Charles,

We'll probably be at the horseshoe most of the time, weather permitting. Also, the seating area above the pits entering turn one is a good spot.

How about you?

(Thanks for being an Isaac user!)

Despr8dave
01-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Ya gotta sit in the grand stands outside sometime during the race. Going into turn one, you can watch the pit action too, then slide down towards Nascar one as they come out, still a great place to watch. But I agree Greg, I spent most of last November's vintage races at the horseshoe. Got some great shots of an old 911 with the front wheel off the ground like the old days before they changed the turn coming out of the infield into Nascar one. ( turn 8?)

Charles Perry
01-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Greg, we have an RV near the dog leg just down from the horseshoe. Will you be displaying any logos or is it just blind luck to run into you.
Also, how many people (best guess) will be using your system in the race?
Charles

gsbaker
01-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Charles Perry@Jan 24 2006, 12:39 PM
Greg, we have an RV near the dog leg just down from the horseshoe. Will you be displaying any logos or is it just blind luck to run into you.
This is purely social for me. In fact, every year friends come in from the frozen north to celebrate the first real race of the season. I'll try to remember to bring an Isaac hat.

Also, how many people (best guess) will be using your system in the race?
Charles

I have no idea. The more the better. ;)

Despr8dave
01-28-2006, 08:33 PM
I've searched as far as I can for a live web cam from Daytona for the 24 hours, like I have found for LeMans. Usually we can find a team's pit cam or corner cams. Anyone know where there is a broadcast on the web from the track? I've got a radio broadcast and timing and scoring. Thanks for your help. Might be another allnighter!

David

Eagle7
01-29-2006, 12:24 AM
Congratulations to the Huffmasters (Ray and Rob) for an 11th place finish in the GrandAm ST race Friday at Daytona in a SpeedSource RX-8. :happy204:

KevSC1
01-29-2006, 12:40 AM
So why exactly does Speed need to show pre-recorded shows during a 24 hour race???
:bash_1_: :angry: ;)

Bill Miller
01-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Great race, but there's something in there that shows just what a strangle-hold NASCAR has on racing in the US. The entire team for the winning Ganassi car was decked out in Target suits EXCEPT Casey Mears, in his Texaco Havoline suit. What a load of crap!

gsbaker
01-31-2006, 07:28 PM
Ahhhhh, I needed that. :)