PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Restrictor Plate

snk328is
01-06-2006, 05:40 PM
I was browsing through the final 2006 BMWCCA club racing rules today and noticed that on page 20, section 2.F. states:

Competitors choosing to compete under SCCA rules must comply with all
that series’ requirements (including restrictors, weight, etc).

Thus, restrictor plates must stay on for BMWCCA races, contrary to 2005.

Not that I will be participating or anything, because they will require an SFI certified H&N restraint starting 4/1/2006 and I would prefer to have an ISAAC over a HANS. Unfortunately, the ISAAC is not SFI certified...

mlytle
01-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by snk328is@Jan 6 2006, 09:40 PM
I was browsing through the final 2006 BMWCCA club racing rules today and noticed that on page 20, section 2.F. states:

ouch. that hurts. now the jp cars will run away even faster....

maybe scca prepped e36's should run in kp...

dj10
01-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by snk328is@Jan 6 2006, 04:40 PM

Not that I will be participating or anything, because they will require an SFI certified H&N restraint starting 4/1/2006 and I would prefer to have an ISAAC over a HANS. Unfortunately, the ISAAC is not SFI certified...

It said competitors "choosing". When your at a BMW event and want to run with a whole 4 or 5 cars, Just don't "choose" to run as a SCCA ITS car! :D Seems to me they are giving you the option. Doesn't it seem that way to you Marshall?
dj

chuck baader
01-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Mlytle, seems that ITS is quicker at every track in the country except TMS!!! Don't think running IT trim is a disadvantage. That is why I run ITA trim when I run BMWCCA racing. Chuck

mlytle
01-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by chuck baader@Jan 7 2006, 04:49 PM
Mlytle, seems that ITS is quicker at every track in the country except TMS!!! Don't think running IT trim is a disadvantage. That is why I run ITA trim when I run BMWCCA racing. Chuck

kinda sorta... that is true for now. its cars have been turning faster laps than jp cars at most tracks, but it ain't because of the car. B) last year its cars could remove the restrictor plate in bmwcca racing, it helps. most jp guys have not built their cars up to the level that scca guys have. a bunch that i have seen don't have near the experience of the scca drivers either. however, some bmw cr racers are starting to build their jp cars to the rules max now. i have run against a few that just run away from my pretty tweaked its car on the straights. the vir and glen cca jp records are faster than the its records. i guaranttee i could run a lot faster laps in a jp car than an its e36. cams, big injectors, no restrictor, aero, big brakes, bigger wheels, light flywheels, etc...it all adds up to a faster car.

yo dj, i wish it were that simple. an its car can't just pull the plate and run jp. there are a few things a maxed out its car can do that are not legal in jp. spherical bearings in the susp is the most obvious. there is no choice for me, i have to run the scca configuration.

and jp is one of the biggest bmwcca classes. the races i have done with bmwcca usually have 10-15 jp cars, not 4 or 5.

marshall

dj10
01-07-2006, 07:07 PM
i guaranttee i could run a lot faster laps in a jp car than an its e36. cams, big injectors, no restrictor, aero, big brakes, bigger wheels, light flywheels, etc...it all adds up to a faster car.

yo dj, i wish it were that simple. an its car can't just pull the plate and run jp. there are a few things a maxed out its car can do that are not legal in jp. spherical bearings in the susp is the most obvious. there is no choice for me, i have to run the scca configuration.

and jp is one of the biggest bmwcca classes. the races i have done with bmwcca usually have 10-15 jp cars, not 4 or 5.

marshall

[/quote]
Thanks for the clarification. Light weight flywheels!!??? Doesn't that seem strange to allow all those mods and not be allowed to help the handling of the car??? :blink:
Come to Mid Ohio and you will see 23 to 26 ITS cars any race weekend. The Roebling BMW weekend had a whole 4 cars jp.

gpeluso
01-08-2006, 01:36 AM
:119: Hey guy, I ran a few BMWCCA races last year. I am new to racing and have an ITS E36 and run in JP. I just contacted an offical today(chairman) and bitched about the restrictor. Well, the response I received from him blew my mind. He claimed that if you were not using a restrictor in 2005 you were cheating. He doesn't know what I'm talking about. However, I personally was told by a tech offical prior to my first race we did not have to use the restrictor. I'm very disappionted by his response to me. A full blown out JP car would easily beat a ITS car. The only real advantage a ITS car has is 50lbs less in weight. Can anyone confirm what I am talking about to BMWCCA.

DJ, guess it's time to get my SCCA license so you and AL can kick my ass at all the races. Sorry, I left Muffin out too.

dj10
01-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by gpeluso@Jan 8 2006, 12:36 AM
:119: Hey guy, I ran a few BMWCCA races last year. I am new to racing and have an ITS E36 and run in JP. I just contacted an offical today(chairman) and bitched about the restrictor. Well, the response I received from him blew my mind. He claimed that if you were not using a restrictor in 2005 you were cheating. He doesn't know what I'm talking about. However, I personally was told by a tech offical prior to my first race we did not have to use the restrictor. I'm very disappionted by his response to me. A full blown out JP car would easily beat a ITS car. The only real advantage a ITS car has is 50lbs less in weight. Can anyone confirm what I am talking about to BMWCCA.

DJ, guess it's time to get my SCCA license so you and AL can kick my ass at all the races. Sorry, I left Muffin out too.

Greg, I've been telling you for a year to come over to the DARK SIDE. 2005 is the 1st year I've raced in 5 yrs and I had a blast. We'll introduce you to some very good people in ITS and I bet you learn a lot.
Muffin doesn't race, I think your talkin about JR. = Chris. :D
NASA looks interesting this year.
dj

kthomas
01-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Gee, did we ever decide how much the ITS restrictor hurts?

mlytle
01-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by gpeluso@Jan 8 2006, 05:36 AM

as soon as the restrictor plate scca rule came out last year, i requested of the bmwcca cr folks a rules clarification to allow its cars to run without it in jp. it was approved in mar05 i think. it was advertised on the bmw cr mailing list and bf.com. sounds like whomever you talked with didn't get the word somehow.

gpeluso
01-08-2006, 09:03 PM
:119:
Originally posted by kthomas@Jan 8 2006, 03:09 PM
Gee, did we ever decide how much the ITS restrictor hurts?

:119: Mythle,

Would you mind talking to David Mcintyre. For some reason he truely doesn't understand where I am coming from. According to him this never happened (non use of restrictor) and he doesn't seem to think JP are really faster than ITS cars. There is no way someone could think that a fully prep'ed ITS could be as fast as a JP fully prep'ed car. Personally, I think BMWCCA allows to many engine mods in the prepared class. Speed is going to be a real problem. Some Mod cars are faster than Pro cars. At Roebling the speed difference between Chuck Strickleys awesome machine compared to LP cars were crazy. I think Strickley's car could hit almost 170 mph down the front straight. The LP car coould probably hit 105 mph. JP is nowhere near one of the faster classes and to slow ITS(JP) cars down doesn't do much for bringing SCCA drivers over to BMWCCA. If this is true about requiring restrictors ITS cars should run as KP.

Thanks
Greg

mlytle
01-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by gpeluso@Jan 9 2006, 01:03 AM
:119:
:119: Mythle,

Would you mind talking to David Mcintyre. For some reason he truely doesn't understand where I am coming from. According to him this never happened (non use of restrictor) and he doesn't seem to think JP are really faster than ITS cars. There is no way someone could think that a fully prep'ed ITS could be as fast as a JP fully prep'ed car. Personally, I think BMWCCA allows to many engine mods in the prepared class. Speed is going to be a real problem. Some Mod cars are faster than Pro cars. At Roebling the speed difference between Chuck Strickleys awesome machine compared to LP cars were crazy. I think Strickley's car could hit almost 170 mph down the front straight. The LP car coould probably hit 105 mph. JP is nowhere near one of the faster classes and to slow ITS(JP) cars down doesn't do much for bringing SCCA drivers over to BMWCCA. If this is true about requiring restrictors ITS cars should run as KP.

Thanks
Greg

i'll try to touch base with him greg. i just wish i had time to read the new rules during the one week "comment period". might have been able to get a dig in then before they solidified.

the bmw prepared rules have gone (crept?) so far beyond the original intent of being similar to scca it that it may be too late for us. it is particulary more difficult with the new scca performance compensation adjustment in it. as restrictor plates or weight changes come and go, it will be harder to decide what its cars are allowed to do in jp. reclass to kp would be an option, but the e30 325 guys will scream. we may be left with a "place to play and have fun" but no chance of doing well. unless we have our own "its e36" races at bmw club events.

it was nice being semi-competitive in two series with the the same car, but with scca trying to put the brakes on bmw's in its and bmw cr letting jp cars get even faster, i hope we don't end up as also rans in both series... rebuilding my car (though hugely expensive) specifically for jp and ditching scca is always at the back of the mind...
:(

marshall

dj10
01-09-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by mlytle@Jan 9 2006, 04:55 PM
i hope we don't end up as also rans in both series... rebuilding my car (though hugely expensive) specifically for jp and ditching scca is always at the back of the mind...
:(
marshall

The other option is ditching bmw club racing for nasa & scca. I'd hate to see you go at least until I get another crack at ya :D . OH btw, where do you get marrs decals?
Hope you get a chance to come to Nelson Ledges and/or Mid Ohio this year. They repaved over the concrete patches @ Mid Ohio I hear. Or is this to far inland for you? LOL ;~) You could always come up the mississippi to the ohio river and park. hehe
dj

mlytle
01-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by dj10@Jan 9 2006, 11:07 PM
The other option is ditching bmw club racing for nasa & scca. I'd hate to see you go at least until I get another crack at ya :D . OH btw, where do you get marrs decals?
Hope you get a chance to come to Nelson Ledges and/or Mid Ohio this year. They repaved over the concrete patches @ Mid Ohio I hear. Or is this to far inland for you? LOL ;~) You could always come up the mississippi to the ohio river and park. hehe
dj

i'm not going anywhere...yet...you will have another crack...just make sure your cooling system is connected next time! :)
you can get marrs decals at the summit point og racing store. think they also sell them in tech. you coing to play more often with us?

i do want to get to mid ohio this year....sometime...

dj10
01-10-2006, 10:42 AM
just make sure your cooling system is connected next time! :)

Marshall, that was a good one! LOL
You know, Ted G was up the Ledges and he was still giving me shit about that. hehe