PDA

View Full Version : Front air dam

GregM
01-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Has anyone built an airdam that follows this rule ?
GCR ITCS -13
8 Body Structure b.
Is there one already made and available for our cars that complies with this rule ?

Anyone got any pics to post ?

ITAntNeon
01-05-2006, 10:09 PM
The last one I saw was on the Mopar ITS neon show car.

If I find I have some time this spring I will make a couple.

GregM
01-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by GregM@Jan 2 2006, 07:28 PM
Has anyone built an airdam that follows this rule ?
GCR ITCS -13
8 Body Structure b.
Is there one already made and available for our cars that complies with this rule ?

Anyone got any pics to post ?

Do you have any pics of it ?

Rabbit07
01-09-2006, 07:55 PM
The air damn that was on the ITS car from Mopar was not legal. It was a completely different facia. You can add an air damn but not a new facia. That car was stripped for parts and destroyed about a year ago.

sstecker
01-09-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit07@Jan 9 2006, 07:55 PM
The air damn that was on the ITS car from Mopar was not legal. It was a completely different facia. You can add an air damn but not a new facia. That car was stripped for parts and destroyed about a year ago.

is a splitter legal?

Rabbit07
01-10-2006, 07:23 AM
As I recall, ( No GCR in hand) If the spliter does not go further than the most forward part of the original car. It also can't be lower than the lowest part of the wheel rim. Something like that?

GregM
01-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by sstecker@Jan 9 2006, 09:50 PM
is a splitter legal?

Sounds like a project for your company Chris, break out the clay and make a mold.
or
Maybe someone will find something readily available out there already that works.

Andy Bettencourt
01-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Awesome article posted by Greg A.... (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7046)

Doc Bro
01-10-2006, 05:25 PM
I agree- awesome article. Thanks Greg for the contribution!

A question arose while I was reading;

How come there are provisions in the GCR that allow for fitting of an airdam and splitter that would result in an increase in front end downforce, yet, there are no provisions for increasing downforce in the rear?

(Not trying to start trouble just asking!!) :D

R

Greg Amy
01-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Doc Bro@Jan 10 2006, 04:25 PM
(Not trying to start trouble just asking!!)
Well, you asked for it...

The air dam/spoiler has historically been viewed as a drag-reduction item, not a downforce-producing (or lift-decreasing) device. We didn't have complex computer flow modeling 25 years ago, all we had was seat-of-the-pants, "hey I'm going 5 miles per hour faster into the bridge at Road Atlanta" type of testing. You'll notice in that article that the affect on drag reduction (mostly from reducing under-body turbulence) far outweighs its affect on downforce, and that is typically supported by the seat-of-the-pants-wind-tunnel testing.

Given its drag reduction value, there had to be limits, and those limits were set (generally speaking) at no lower than the bottom of the wheel (so a flat tire does not cause it to drag), no higher than 4 inches above the center of the hubs (so that you cannot use it to reduce cooling drag), no farther back than the front of the wheel openings (so that you cannot use it to reduce wheel opening drag), and within the outer confines of the body outline (so you can't use it to produce downforce with extended winglets). Of course, think of the cars we had "back then": most of them were blunt front cars with protruding bumpers (think Pinto, Capri, Rabbit, Scirocco, Civic, TR-7, etc). Most of these cars did not have integrated bumpers and if you followed the rules it would be VERY difficult to construct any type of aerodynamic downforce given the horizontal restrictions and protruding bumpers excluded.

Today that's not the case; most cars are shipped with enclosed integrated bumper assemblies and it's perfectly legal to the rules to attach someting under that cover. You mount an air dam under the nose of your Z3 and you'll have a good 4 to 6 inches of forward horizontal space to work with before you hit the tip of the nose. That can be a big advantage (especially for FWD cars).

Geo's favorite slogan is "if it says you can, you bloody well can." While there are no allowances to install a splitter, there are insufficient restrictions on the air dam to disallow one. Who's to say that this piece is a "not specifically allowed" aerodynamic device or actually a specifically-allowed air dam part? Absent those restrictions, the "openness" of the air dam rule pretty much allows you to do whatever you want within those physical boundaries.

So, it's not that the SCCA is specifically allowing a splitter and thus frontal downforce; I'm of the opinion that it was not even considered at the time the rule was written simply because "they" could not have foreseen the design of current vehicles... - GA

Rabbit07
01-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Mr Amy,

Well put! :happy204:

sstecker
01-11-2006, 09:41 PM
hey thanks for the info and pdf link - good reading.

zracre
01-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Doesn't it say specifically "splitters are not allowed"?

Greg Amy
01-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by zracre@Jan 12 2006, 08:55 AM
Doesn't it say specifically "splitters are not allowed"?

Negative.