PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen wiring harnesses

JeffW
01-02-2006, 03:08 AM
I have an 83 Spec7 that is a bit of a rust bucket. I found a clean 85 with a bad motor and am starting to re-tub. I have run across a potential problem and am looking for some help.

On the 83, the wiring harness emerges from the firewall on the drivers side (as described in Haynes) and snakes across the engine from left to right.

On the 85, the harness comes from the passenger side and crosses right to left. The 85 also has the emissions box in the passenger footwell.

I am putting the engine from the 83 into the 85 and was wondering which wiring harness to use. Can I use the 83 harness? And how do I adapt it to fit the 85 with or without the box in the passenger footwell? OR, do I adapt the 85 harness onto the 83 engine? And how much can I leave disconnected since 2006 rules allow removal of all emissions?

The wild card in this is that I don't have a good history on the 83 and have found a few things that have had me scratching my head.

If anybody has a "Wiring Guide for Dummies", let me know.

Happy New Year

Jeff

Hotshoe
01-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by JeffW@Jan 2 2006, 07:08 AM

I am putting the engine from the 83 into the 85 and was wondering which wiring harness to use. Can I use the 83 harness? And how do I adapt it to fit the 85 with or without the box in the passenger footwell? OR, do I adapt the 85 harness onto the 83 engine? And how much can I leave disconnected since 2006 rules allow removal of all emissions?

Jeff

Jeff.

....What model is the 85? Is it a GS, GSL, or GSLSE?

.... I would use the 83 wiring harness as long as both cars are 12A.

....Rick

JeffW
01-03-2006, 11:57 PM
Both are 12A. '83 is GSL, '85 is GS

I was able to talk to one of the local Mazda guys and he recommended removing the '83 harness (including the solenoid rack) from the engine and using the '85 harness. Something about the emissions controls advancing the leading and trailing timing separately in the '85.

I'll finish the rest of the mechanical R&R, then take it to him to finish the wiring and get it running.

Jeff