PDA

View Full Version : CRX Si in ITB

backformore
01-01-2006, 07:07 PM
OK,

Now that some time has passed since the 86-87 CRX Si was classed in ITB, does it look like it can be competitive? Are parts going to be available?

I know this has been asked before, but I'm curious now that people have had a chance to live with the new classification

Thanks

bamfp
01-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Parts are getting harder and harder to find, even from the dealer. The car should be very competitive in ITB. My friend wrecked his before I got a chance to drive it. We are in the process of building him a new car. Hope to have it ready by the end of MArch.

Blake Meredith

Knestis
01-01-2006, 11:54 PM
I ran against that car and I think the Si is a great addition to ITB. With some luck we'll have a rematch of new cars at the March VIR double regional...

K

charrbq
01-02-2006, 08:15 AM
I hope so, but like most cars in ITB and ITC, parts are getting hard to find. I shared a Civic Si for a couple of yrs when it was in ITA...where it should&#39;ve never been classed. It was fun and strong running. My buddy killed it in St. Louis in &#39;98, so we took some of the parts for the ITC car. If given the opportunity, I&#39;d dump this carberated crap and jump on another CRX or Civic Si in a heart beat and punish some VW&#39;s that blow by me on the straights. They should be a great B car. Trouble is so many of them have gone away due to non competitive classing in ITA. <_<

backformore
01-03-2006, 09:59 PM
I know this is probably not the place to put this, but since I started the thread I&#39;ll hijack it.

Just for the sake of accuracy, the 1st Gen CRX was NOT improperly classed in ITA. When it was classed in ITA, it was actually pretty competitive, just like the 1st gen RX7 and MR2. EVERY car in the class was obsoleted with the addition of the 2nd gen CRX, which has since become that standard. I know, I had one of those RX7s.

Anyway, just wanted to make sure the blame got aimed in the right direction. The car was not improperly classed, the class was obsoleted. Personally, I think this is the worst mistake that can be made when classing a car. Instant overdog. I do believe that lesson has been learned.

SPiFF
01-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Since you have hijacked it already ... I&#39;ll go and say it....

Classing the 2nd gen CRX in ITA is the best thing that could have happened to that class.

tom91ita
01-04-2006, 10:16 PM
to return the integrity of the thread:?

i think the 1st gen crx in itb is pretty good. i started getting my car ready to return to racing after seeing a honda challenge race at mid-0hio in 2004. i decided H5 would be a good home.

i used to end up running just behind the front running itb cars and would have a pretty good time. still did that this year.

but with the car going to itb, i raced there most of 2005 with a disappointing HC race (mostly because it was not in a group by itself but with many other cars including C Sports Racing types that were lapping us every 7 laps).

i am giving serious consideration to doing some H5 this year mostly because I want to run in the NASA National event. it looks like two weekends at mid-ohio is all that is needed to qualify.

charrbq
01-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by SPiFF@Jan 4 2006, 03:25 AM
Since you have hijacked it already ... I&#39;ll go and say it....

Classing the 2nd gen CRX in ITA is the best thing that could have happened to that class.

Agreed! Followed by the improved competition of the Integra. Many cars were properly classed at the inception of IT. One of them was the 1st gen CRX. Also named could be the Toyota Corolla, the Datsun 510, the 1st gen RX7, and on and on. Once the second gen CRX came along, many cars in that class became improperly classed and nothing was done about it until rules, etc. were changed. If my memory serves me, the first gen Civic Si was even changed to ITB for a brief while, but before the change came into play, it was reclassed to ITA. Word on the street was the VW&#39;s screamed. lol
I discussed the classification of the car several years ago, when mine still lived, with one of the guys on the IT advisary committee. I was trying to get the car reclassed to ITB. This gentlemen told me that he had been one of the main protagonists behind the classification of the 2nd gen CRX. He then regreted his effort as he felt that it had made a number of cars obsolete and wrongly classed. Last I talked to him (several years ago at the ARRC), he was talking a different story.
However, at the time, he told me the the board had become afraid of classing anything named Honda. That was an influencing factor in the reclassing of the Accord from B to A a few years ago, and what kept the carberated CRX in B for several years while the Civic was in C.
Fortunately, rules have changed, and we now have a better method of distributing the competitive edge.

gran racing
01-05-2006, 10:18 AM

Putting the CRX and Integra without making other adjustments sucked. Until very recently, the class should have been called speck CRX / Integra. That&#39;s a good thing? No. The classification could have been a good move if the things that are being done today and in the near future were done then.

By making that move and not doing the necessary adjustments, how many club members were hurt? Look at all of the other cars it hurt. The Rx7 certainly comes to mind.

Back to the tread topic...
The civic should be a great car to have in B. It will be interesting next year!!

IvanO
01-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by backformore@Jan 1 2006, 07:07 PM
OK,

Now that some time has passed since the 86-87 CRX Si was classed in ITB, does it look like it can be competitive? Are parts going to be available?

I know this has been asked before, but I&#39;m curious now that people have had a chance to live with the new classification

Thanks

Absolutely competitive.

I&#39;m the guy that Kirk and Blake mentioned earlier. The car will be a front runner. In the events I ran last season I posted some competative ITB times until I wadded the car up at Road Atlanta in July.

One drawback is some parts are becoming hard to find. Right now I having a hard time finding new body pieces (rear bumper, side skirts, lower, door panels, fenders) for the new car. Honda and aftermarket companies have seem to stop making these pieces. The friends and the junkyard have been valuable assets for finding parts.

Try www.redpepperracing.com. There are 1st gen CRX folks that post there.

Good luck.

Ivan Orndorff

iambhooper
01-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by IvanO@Jan 25 2006, 12:31 PM
Absolutely competitive.

One drawback is some parts are becoming hard to find. Right now I having a hard time finding new body pieces (rear bumper, side skirts, lower, door panels, fenders) for the new car. Honda and aftermarket companies have seem to stop making these pieces. The friends and the junkyard have been valuable assets for finding parts.

Try www.redpepperracing.com. There are 1st gen CRX folks that post there.

Good luck.

Ivan Orndorff

I run in ITC, and will fully agree with this. I&#39;ve been seeking out spare side skirts for the year I&#39;ve owned my car. Fortunatly, I have a spare set of fenders and doors. Rear bumpers are scarce as well. I had to replace one after the 1st SARRC at VIR in October. Ivan, if you ever run across a set of DX side skirts, keep me in mind. :D

As for running in B... the few I&#39;ve seen (and you may have been one of them) seemed reasonably competetive.