PDA

View Full Version : Neon Blocks

hadalian
12-30-2005, 01:12 AM
I have been told that the blocks for the DOHC and the SOHC engines are the same only the rods and pistons are different. I know that the identification for each engine is in different places on the block but can I use a SOHC block to rebuild a DOHC engine?

Thanks for any help

super8neon
12-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by hadalian@Dec 29 2005, 11:12 PM
I have been told that the blocks for the DOHC and the SOHC engines are the same only the rods and pistons are different. I know that the identification for each engine is in different places on the block but can I use a SOHC block to rebuild a DOHC engine?

Thanks for any help

You have been told correctly. The 95-99 Neons share the same block... just different internals.

Matt Rowe
12-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Also, all of the documentation I have shows the id numbers on the same place on the blocks and the parts book does list different numbers for the blocks, but only because they come as a short block assembly complete with pistons. Still, for an IT build it wouldn't be technically legal unless you can document that the block is identical. Without a part number for the bare block that will be difficult.

Greg Amy
12-30-2005, 12:06 PM
One would expect that if the blocks are truly the same part, that Dodge would not bother with different casting identification marks. I would expect them to produce the blocks on the same casting molds and sort out the internal differences within the parts system after assembly.

So, number in the parts system is not important; the key is to find out if there are any different casting identification marks on the blocks. If they're the same, you're golden; if, however, Dodge did cast in different ID marks into the blocks, you're screwed... - GA

Matt Rowe
12-30-2005, 12:56 PM
Greg, I would tend to agree with you expect for one detail. Casting numbers only refer to the casting and do not reflect any post machining variations that may be done as a difference between DOHC and SOHC. It may be something as trivial as a mouting boss that is tapped in one version and not the other. I don't think there are any differences and apparently none that matter. But from a strictly legal sens it is hard to show proof and if the part numbers stamped don't match the motor wouldn't be legal. Also you have to keep in mind things must be interchanged as an assembly. From a practical standpoint, I don't think it matters but I do think anybody doing this should be aware of the possible rules implications.