PDA

View Full Version : hoosier tire pressure

flaboy
12-26-2005, 07:56 PM
i will be going to my 1st scca school in january.i haven't raced in about 15years.

i have 2 sets of hooser tires. would like to know what tire pressure to run for a itc rabitt.

thank you for the help

Tim

joeg
12-26-2005, 09:21 PM
30 PSI should be safe

charrbq
12-27-2005, 12:44 AM
A lot depends on your shocks and springs...type...weight capacity...etc. My Honda runs 33-34 front and 31-32 rear. But that can vary with the track, temp, etc. I run more air than most. For a school, start with 30 and pay attention to the edge of the tread and sidewall relation. See where it's rolling or not rolling and adjust accordingly. I'd definitely run more in the front that rear with a front wheel drive car.

Bill Miller
12-27-2005, 08:28 AM
Best way to do this, is w/ some white shoe polish. Put 3 or 4 little dabs on the outside of the tread. Pay attention to them when you come off the track. If you can, either borrow or buy a pyrometer, and have someone check the temps when you come off the track. You need to do this in the pit lane, right when you come off the track, to get any meaningful numbers.

I'd start w/ 30 up front and 28 in the rear.

Also, you didn't say if the tires were new, or used.

flaboy
12-27-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Bill Miller@Dec 27 2005, 08:28 AM
Best way to do this, is w/ some white shoe polish. Put 3 or 4 little dabs on the outside of the tread. Pay attention to them when you come off the track. If you can, either borrow or buy a pyrometer, and have someone check the temps when you come off the track. You need to do this in the pit lane, right when you come off the track, to get any meaningful numbers.

I'd start w/ 30 up front and 28 in the rear.

Also, you didn't say if the tires were new, or used.

Bill the tires are very used.almost used up.but i couldn't see going out and spending 600.00 for s new set of tires for a school.

Bill Miller
12-27-2005, 05:00 PM
I agree with you, was just curious.

charrbq
12-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Most definitely agreed on the used tires for a school idea. It will be tough to get an accurate reading on used tires under a school situation. Best idea is the first one...put them at 30 lbs, use shoe polish on the edge of the tread/sidewall, and pay attention to how it feels, what you were doing, and how much shoe polish is left after each session. Chances are, if the Hoosiers are very worn, they have been through so many heat cycles that they'll wear like champs. I would put more air in the front than the rear by a couple of pounds and have fun. :D

flaboy
12-28-2005, 10:56 PM
I just remember back in the old days when we ran the Yokahama A008s we would run about 28lbs in front and about 25.5 in the rear.I have never ran hoosiers befor.

Also do you guys think that should be the tire to stay with when i'm rady to buy new.Or are there better tires for the $$$ out there??

Thank you all for all your help.

Tim

charrbq
12-29-2005, 01:53 AM
I've had good luck with Toyos and Kumhos...limited luck with Yokohamas of various flavors. I buy Kumhos now for long endurance races as they wear well, stick reasonable well, and have the versatility to be shaved and still be viable for dry or damp weather. Until you get your car sorted and get some time under your belt, it might be a good idea to run Toyos or Kumhos. Price is still high, but cheaper than Hoosiers. After you're confident of what goes on, Hoosiers are the only tire to run for our class.

flaboy
12-29-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks Chris.

Are most people in itc running 14" or 13" tires.I don't see that big of an advantage of running the 14'.But what the hell do i know. :bash_1_:

charrbq
12-30-2005, 12:46 AM
What I've seen is that everyone is still running 13". One of the advantages of ITC is the reduced cost over the faster classes. I'm sure that if Hoosier came out with a tire that would fit a 14" rim and work on our cars as well as their 13" sizes, someone would have them. If they started kicking our butts, then anyone who was really serious would have a set. Then it would start.
I surely hope it doesn't. I have eighteen 13x6 rims and four 13x5.5's. I use them all at some time or another throughout the year. ;)

Tkczecheredflag
12-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Interesting - I am trying to get into the low 40's for optimum pressure, (car feels great at aroung 42 - 44 psi) by the end of a session. For my "C" 1st Gen CRX, I run around 32-33 in the front and 35-36 in the rear to get to that goal. Are you guys achieving your rear pressure goals with the lower rear numbers? What pressures are you trying to achieve? Maybe I need to be reschooled.

spnkzss
12-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Tkczecheredflag@Dec 30 2005, 10:23 AM
Interesting - I am trying to get into the low 40's for optimum pressure, (car feels great at aroung 42 - 44 psi) by the end of a session. For my "C" 1st Gen CRX, I run around 32-33 in the front and 35-36 in the rear to get to that goal. Are you guys achieving your rear pressure goals with the lower rear numbers? What pressures are you trying to achieve? Maybe I need to be reschooled.

What I always start with (including crewing for other people) is to start around 33-34 all the way around. Immediately after the first session I take pressures and MAKE them 40 all the way around hot. If I need to add I need to add, if I need to subtract I subtract. Next session out I take hot pressures again and make sure I'm at 40 psi all the way around. Then I figure out what is going on with the car. Can I get it to rotate. If I can't then I add 2 pounds to the rear. If it rotates too much, I subtract 2 pounds. Do I have enough bite in the front, etc. Once you figure out what you need you'll be able to set it every time. I know that there are more factors involved with weather and track conditions, but to start try and get 40 psi all the way around hot and move from there. You may get 32 RF 33 LF 35 RR 36 LR which works for me at Summit (to START WITH). My hots are normall about 40-41 in the front and 43-44 in the rear to help with rotation.

YMMV

charrbq
12-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Tires aren't the only part of the suspension that comes into play. Besides spring rates and shock settings there's also wheel base and corner weights. Throw in driving style and the mix gets more complicated. My teaching was that you always run higher pressure in the front with a front engined car to help support the weight. Increasing the tire pressure increases the spring rate.
I run 27 mm torsion bars on the front and 350 lb. coil overs on the rear of my Civic with Tokico Illuminas all around. The shocks are normally set stiffer in the front also. My pressures normally come up 5-6 lbs all around after a session (except at Daytona).
I always understood that the only reason you ran higher pressures in the rear was to get the car to loosen up in the back end. However, I only applied that to an autocross and then only in a Lotus Europa.

RSTPerformance
01-01-2006, 11:50 PM
We run higher starting temps in the rear of our Audi's so that they come up to the same temps as the front.... Those that run lower starting temps in the rear what are the hot temps???

Raymond "man a week off takes forever to catch up!!!" Blethen

charrbq
01-02-2006, 08:05 AM
Depending on the track and the temps, my pressure usually comes up 5 -8 lbs. all around. Pyro readings vary with the track configuration, but are pretty consistent.

JLawton
01-02-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm with you Raymond. Start at 30 in the front and 32 in back. End up with 41 hot.