PDA

View Full Version : Bought an ITB GTI, need setup advice...

eMKay
12-23-2005, 10:33 PM
I just need some basic setup advice, things like recommended alignment (car has camber plates). corner weights (coilovers with Koni single adjustable), ride height, timing, what fluids are recommended. It's an '84 GTI.

racer_tim
12-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by eMKay@Dec 24 2005, 02:33 AM
I just need some basic setup advice, things like recommended alignment (car has camber plates). corner weights (coilovers with Koni single adjustable), ride height, timing, what fluids are recommended. It's an '84 GTI.

Since the car has camber plates and coil overs, did the previous owner race it? What tires are on the car? Different tires need different setups, Hoosiers, Goodyears, Toyo's. Kuhmo's are like different setups. What tracks will you be running at?

Standard VW alignment is normally for as much camber as you can, with a little bit of toe out in the front. Taking tire temps and pressures is the really only way to match what each tire manuf likes.

With corner weights, try to get to your diagonal 50/50 as possible. Shoot for your minumum weight with you in the car, and with you minumum fuel.

Timing should be around 32-36 degree's.

Fluids, Engine oil any brand that you like. Red Line is the best, but any syntehtic is good. RedLine MTL in the tranny, and any good DOT 600 brake fluid is best. I like Motul.

Hope this helps.

eMKay
12-26-2005, 02:18 AM
Thanks, the previous owner did four races, so probably not enough to get it set up. It has a set of Hoosiers and a set of victoracers, I will be able to change the settings to suit different tires pretty easily as I have a pyrometer and access to an alignment rack. The car will be raced in the northeast so Watkins Glen, Beaver Run, Nelson Ledges, Mosport, and maybe Pocono or Lime Rock but those two are pretty far. I will be autocrossing it as well.