PDA

View Full Version : Ford-vs-Chevy-vs-Dodge

BERG Racer
12-22-2005, 12:38 AM
Looking at buying a NEW truck, crewcab dually diesel. While I've been to all three dealers I would love to hear some personal opinions. Please try to stay away from "Ford sucks because I own a Chevy" type of posts. Please just facts.

Andy Bettencourt
12-22-2005, 12:57 AM
I am a Ford guy but I think there is a reason that they outsell everything exponentially. Nick just picked up exactly what you are talking about - F350 QC, dually, 6.0 diesel, full tow and winter package. The integrated brake control system is really nice and the special tranny is awesome.

It does run a little high on the RPM side with the tow gears for highway use...check our website and drop him an e-mail for more specifics.

Always a factor to consider is resale and the Ford's are tops there IIRC.

AB

zracre
12-22-2005, 03:45 AM
I have a F350 Diesel Dually (the huge one!) and love it...I bought mine used (99) and have had no problems. I have had Dodge rams and they were good too, but I saw and heard good stuff about the ford and am not dissapointed. My friend Chip sells used ones if you want to compare prices... fdiesel.com

mowog
12-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Because I put less than 10K per year on the truck, and because some of the areas I drive don't have diesel readily available, combined with the extra costs, I went decided to go with a gas motor. My requirements were: dually, 8' bed, extended or crew (didn't care which), extending type mirrors (sometimes called camper mirrors), automatic, enough power to pull an enclosed trailer thru the PA hills. Preferences included bucket seats. I have read, and heard, too many stories about Dodge transmissions, so never considered this brand. I couldn't find a V10 Ford, and no Ford dealer wanted to work with me. Chevy gave me the best deal by far, would order or find one that met my needs (found one a few states away), and gave me a decent trade in on my '97 Ford dually. I've had it almost a year, and am quite happy with it. It can get 10 mpg towing if I stay under 63 mph, down to 8.3 if I go faster than I should. :)

joeg
12-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Duramax fan here. Have driven them all.

If you take a spin in the chevy/GMC and the Ford you will notice a much better ride in the GM products.

The Dodge killed my back.

Try and drive them all and compare for yourself.

Drivetrain-wise, only the Dodge (Cuumins) engine has a great reputation. They have suffered with poor auto trannies in the past (as has the Ford), but seem to have cured themselves.

The Allison in the GM products is simply the industry standard.

Regards.

JIgou
12-22-2005, 11:05 AM
I spent some time looking at all three about a year ago.

With a gooseneck and a dually in mind, even though I was raised as a Dodge guy I was looking very hard at the Ford and GM products. We wanted a crew cab, and the backseat on the Dodge was just a bit too small. (My parents have a 1/2 ton version of the current quad cab.)

With the advent of the Dodge Mega Cab that is MUCH better, but I believe they sacrificed bed length to give more legroom. Not sure what the bed options on a dually are with the Mega Cab. (A friend looked at one and, although he says he hates Dodges, nearly bought one, so that says something for the improvement they made.)

I wanted a full 8' bed for a gooseneck - not knowing exactly what I wanted to pull with it, it eliminated any issues with the corner of the trailer and the rear window that can crop up in a shortbed.

Engine wise, joeg is correct - the Duramax and the Powerstroke have had their issues....but the early 6.0 in my Excursion is cruising along just fine 2 years and 32xxx miles later, so a lot of it is luck. (Hope mine continues.)

I LOVE the TorqShift tranny in my Ford....the Allison in the Chevy is, as I understand it, similar in function. Haven't heard a lot about the new trannies in the Dodges....which, based on their late-90's issues, is probably a good thing.

Jarrod

Despr8dave
12-22-2005, 12:52 PM
I deal in trade ins of such trucks in the RV industry. It looks like you can't go wrong with either brand, although I see a great deal more Fords than the other two combined and that could be regional. To me that goes back to personal preference, what ever feels comfortable and drives the way you prefer. Remember how you are going to use it the most, towing or daily driving. Not related to your question, but all the gas trucks of this size with the V-10's are guarenteed to bring at least $2000 behind wholesale book on trade. Good luck in your venture and enjoy your new truck!

PDoane
12-22-2005, 02:33 PM
When I was researching for my recent tow vehicle purchase (Chevy 2500HD Duramax), I found that both Ford and Chevy had lots of issues with their latest Diesel engine/tranny releases, but that both have reported fixed them all now. Be very conscious of which year were the troublesome ones when looking at used vehicles.

I do know that gas or diesel, Ford sells more than the others.

DavidM
12-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Like everyone else I did a lot of research. I was looking for a used truck and wound up getting a 2002 F350. The big thing for me was the number of used F350s available compared to the Dodges and Chevys. Ford outsells Dodge and Chevy combined by a huge margin so there is a much bigger used market. You said you're looking at new trucks so that may not figure into your decision. They've all got their issues. Transmissions used to be a big problem for all three, but they claim to have mostly fixed them. The Cummins engines in the Dodge's used to be considered the best, but I don't know how they stack up nowadays. The new F350s have the 5-speed automatic, which is supposed to be nice. I'd visit the dealers and see if you really like one more than the others (ride, interior, etc.). If not, I'd go with whoever was willing to give you the best deal.

Go to www.thedieselstop.com if you want to read up on the F350s. That's the best Ford diesel site I've found.

David

MMiskoe
12-23-2005, 12:30 AM
GM is the only one of the three w/ indpendent front susp. if you go 4x4. Haven't driven any new ones in quite a while, but when I did, the ride differece was noticiable right off.

My sister has had both GM & Ford in the 250 4x4 gas set up (3 in the past 6 years, all new). GM's ride nicer and don't need a damn rope ladder to get in and out of if you're short like I am.

Otherwise its like picking out beer at the supermarket.

JohnRW
12-23-2005, 07:20 PM
If you live north of the Mason-Dixon line and are muttering the word 'dually', you really need to be thinking 4x4 if you want to use it when the water gets hard.

2wd duallies are about as nimble as a pig on stilts when it's snowy/icy/slippery...absolutely horrendous...evil...vile...nasty. All that rear tire area (think 'contact patch') with no load is basically undrivable.

I live up in the frozen north and own several 4wd vehicles, and the dually is always the first to go into 4wd each season...it's like the ceremonial lighting of the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center.

F-350 crewcab diesel dually, which replaced an E-350 SuperCargo 7.3 PSD van. Other than the comfort factor and the noise factor and the 'all the collisions will start 4 ft. further forward' factor, I wish I still had that van.

Daryl DeArman
12-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Give me the Ford quality and looks.

Give me the GM ride

Give me the Dodge powertrain.

I was looking to change to a Gooseneck w/LQ and CC Diesel Dually set up last year, but after too much research (sometimes ignorance is bliss) I decided to keep the Motorhome and current enclosed setup.

IMO they all have something that was a big enough 'don't like it' to not make any the clear winner. Maybe 10years down the road Toyota/HINO will build a CC Diesel truck and I'll finally buy one.

The only big issue I had with the Dodges were the small rear seating area, which now has been addressed, and the number of them I have seen with peeling paint.

Merry Christmas...I'm off to take Gma-in-Law to Church!