PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a few good tools

gran racing
12-21-2005, 12:38 PM
I’ve been using a wonderful set of the cheapest tools I could find about 12 years ago. No really, they only cost me about $20. They have done well but I think a better set could provide some additional benefits. In my search for a decent tool set, all of them come with metric and SAE but I really only want metric tools. My feeling is why pay for SAE tools when I have no need for them and they would just go in a junk bin. Are there any nice metric only sets for a reasonable cost? Or do I just need to suck it up and buy a large set with ½ of them being junked?

RacerBill
12-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by gran racing@Dec 21 2005, 12:38 PM
I’ve been using a wonderful set of the cheapest tools I could find about 12 years ago. No really, they only cost me about $20. They have done well but I think a better set could provide some additional benefits. In my search for a decent tool set, all of them come with metric and SAE but I really only want metric tools. My feeling is why pay for SAE tools when I have no need for them and they would just go in a junk bin. Are there any nice metric only sets for a reasonable cost? Or do I just need to suck it up and buy a large set with ½ of them being junked?

Dave: Craftsman tools (sockets, wrenches) come in small sets that are either SAE or metric, your choice. Some of the larger sets that include the ratchets and stuff come with both.

gran racing
12-21-2005, 02:30 PM
I went to a few different Sears stores and did some on-line searches. The employees agreed that it would be nice if there were Metric only sets, but they only sell mixed sets. I looked into buying some of the very small "sets" but to get all of the sockets it is cheaper to buy a large set and disgard the SAE stuff. I'm hoping that it is as simple as me not looking or asking the right people.

Bill Miller
12-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Dave,

You can buy Craftsman metric-only sockets and wrench sets. However, if you want a more 'comprehensive' set (ratchets, etc.) you're going to end up w/ a mixed (SAE and Metric) set. I've also seen things like Husky (HD) and Kobalt (Lowe's) come in Metric or SAE only, but again, nothing big.

charrbq
12-21-2005, 03:26 PM
I got a fairly comprehensive set of metric only Craftsman tools through the Sears catalog. Of course, I've since spent a fortune on all the extra job specific tools for my car. Trust me, you'll be surprised at how many SAE tools you can use around the house or on the tow vehicle. They might not be such a waste of money.

If its a "Real Tool" you're interested in, you might check the author of the "Bombshell" thread on this site. He's one for sure. ;)

mowog
12-21-2005, 05:30 PM
How often do you need two 13mm wrenches? With a mixed set, you have them (1/2" and 13mm). How about 14mm? Needed two more than once (14mm and 9/16)....didn't get a 17mm in that set? SAE (11/16) will work just fine, thank you. Not all sizes cross, but enough do to make life much easier. Go with the mixed set if it's the best deal for the money. I think you'll end up finding it quite useful in the long run.

lateapex911
12-23-2005, 02:48 AM
Try as I might...and I have spend hundreds $ on spare metric hardware, nuts, bolts, washers, allen cap screws, etc,.... SAE stuff keeps popping up on my race car....grrrrrrr.

Ground Control???? I think I need an SAE allen to loosen their camber plate.....G-Forge Engineering??? Yup....you got it...SAE hardware.

All those rod ends? You can get them in metric, but call Bob Clark (IT.com contributor and IT racer), at Pegusus Racing Supplies, and he'll tell you... you have a much wider choice in SAE.

And on and on.

I bet that tow dolly of yours uses SAE stuff!

Get the combo....time to step up to a complete tool box! ;)

ddewhurst
12-23-2005, 09:34 AM
When I started my professional career in 19?? the talk was that SAE was out & metric would be in the U.S. I'm retired & you guessed it. SAE is still in. Billions of $$ to convert within the U.S. IMHO

ps: Matt W. what do you think ? :rolleyes: Want to see if he reads anything on this site other than his own stuff.

Racer X
12-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Another consideration is your tow vehicle- If you are like me, you have a big "Merican" truck pulling your import IT car. The SAE tools included in the kits do not go to waste in this case, as tweaking on the truck inevitably does happen.

Jake
12-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by RacerBill@Dec 21 2005, 04:45 PM
Dave: Craftsman tools (sockets, wrenches) come in small sets that are either SAE or metric, your choice. Some of the larger sets that include the ratchets and stuff come with both.

That's exactly what I have. Works GREAT!

Jake
12-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by gran racing@Dec 21 2005, 06:30 PM
I went to a few different Sears stores and did some on-line searches. The employees agreed that it would be nice if there were Metric only sets, but they only sell mixed sets. I looked into buying some of the very small "sets" but to get all of the sockets it is cheaper to buy a large set and disgard the SAE stuff. I'm hoping that it is as simple as me not looking or asking the right people.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...000&tab=des#tab (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00933941000&tab=des#tab)

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...Owner+Tool+Sets (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00934144000&subcat=Home+Owner+Tool+Sets)

gran racing
12-24-2005, 10:18 AM
I love it! (from the web site...)

Craftsman 40 pc. Tool Set with Bottle Opener and Tin

Sure could use the bottle opener while working on the car often. :D

Thanks Jake. Looks like I'll get one of those two but can't easily tell what the differences are. For the SAE stuff, I'll just dig up the old junk ones I have in the box if I ever need them.

Jake
12-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by gran racing@Dec 24 2005, 02:18 PM
I love it! (from the web site...)
Sure could use the bottle opener while working on the car often. :D
Thanks Jake. Looks like I'll get one of those two but can't easily tell what the differences are. For the SAE stuff, I'll just dig up the old junk ones I have in the box if I ever need them.

We don't need no stinking SAE stuff. I have a $10 SAE tool set I got from Job Lot for the one time every few years that I need an SAE tool on a piece of yard equipment. Invest in Metric tools - those big sets will give you multiple sockets in each size. Using a "close" SAE equivlent is a good way to round off a bolt.

lateapex911
12-24-2005, 12:55 PM
I only use a 9/16" ~ 14mm interchangibly, as well as the 3/4" ~ 19mmm combo. Haven't ruined anything yet with those, but I suppose theres always that fun waiting for me in the future!

One thing that IS important is making sure the markings are easily legible, and that you get some form of organizer. Knowing....and keeping each socket in a spot where you KNOW it is is very important.

Greg Amy
12-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Dave, let me give you a bit of friendly advice, garnered from years and years and years of buying tools:

Go buy one of the Sears Craftsman mechanic's tool combinations. Don't argue about it, just do it.

When it comes down to it, these things are not all that expensive! Yep, you get a lot of stuff you'll never use, but you also get a lot of stuff you will. Some judicious research will narrow it down to the set that fits you best, and throw in a good carry-around tool box and you'll be set for life. Join the Craftsman Club and keep an eye on their circulars; they offer these sets at significant discounts.

There's two big reasons why you don't want to go cheap:

- First, the combo sets are not that expensive. We're talking a couple of hundred dollars here for a set of tools that can and will last you a LIFETIME.
- Second, the right tool for the job. Even try to do a job using the wrong tool? It takes twice the amount of time and the job gets done half-assed while probably damaging someone/thing else.
- Third, if you buy a set that's very specific (say, metric sockets only), and you have to buy those one or two other tools you need (say, a screwdriver, allen key, or SAE wrench), you'll end up spending about the same (or more) money and get less (price out just one screwdriver set versus the cost of the combo set that comes with them)
- Third, when you break one of the tools - and you will - it gets replaced for free at any Sears store.

Finally, NEVER EVER buy Craftsman tools as single items, ALWAYS buy them in sets. You spend very little more money to buy a lot more product, and even though you'll have doubles or triples of things you already own, you've now got spares for when you lose items (and you will.)

Dave, metric only? Sure, you've got a Honda car and you're pulling it with a Toyota truck, but you WILL need SAE tools, I guaran-damn-tee you. For example, what's the hardware on that tow dolly that you're trusting to bring your Honda home on? SAE, I'll bet. Good luck using some little crappy metric tool set you bought for $20 (or, God forbid, a pair of pliers and a screwdriver) trying to repair that tow dolly at midnight in the middle of Podunk Nowhere on the side of the highway while Melissa fumes in the front seat.

If I were making a living working on cars, I'd spend the money on MAC or Snap-On, but Craftsman tools are quality stuff that gets the job done at a bargain price. Creak open the wallet and spend the money, Dave; it's money well invested, which is something you can't really say about any other aspect of motorsports. - Greg

lateapex911
12-24-2005, 01:55 PM
What he said, LOL....

I actually think Craftsmen are cheap tools...but over built for the price.

Price out a Snap On ratchet sometime....sure it's nicer, but you can get 2 Craftsmen ratchets, and 3 socket sets for the same $!

Seriously, tools make the man...you want to be a man don't you?

Melissa wants you to...

;)

gran racing
12-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Yeah, yeah! I want to be the man! :happy204:

Geeze, after picking my car up from Richie Hunter's today, I see how all of those different tools will be useful. Eeek.

Jake
12-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by GregAmy@Dec 24 2005, 04:56 PM

Dave, metric only? Sure, you've got a Honda car and you're pulling it with a Toyota truck, but you WILL need SAE tools, I guaran-damn-tee you. For example, what's the hardware on that tow dolly that you're trusting to bring your Honda home on? SAE, I'll bet. Good luck using some little crappy metric tool set you bought for $20 (or, God forbid, a pair of pliers and a screwdriver) trying to repair that tow dolly at midnight in the middle of Podunk Nowhere on the side of the highway while Melissa fumes in the front seat.

If I were making a living working on cars, I'd spend the money on MAC or Snap-On, but Craftsman tools are quality stuff that gets the job done at a bargain price. Creak open the wallet and spend the money, Dave; it's money well invested, which is something you can't really say about any other aspect of motorsports. - Greg

We use Mac and Snap-on at work, I think the Craftsman stuff is every bit as good. Yeah - it's nuts what they charge for some of the stuff. We also have SAE and Metric at the shop - there's fairly thick dust on teh SAE stuff. What a waste. Save your money for some ratchet-wrenches, expensive but very useful.

Domestics have been using metric fasteners for a while, so don't worry about getting a domestic tow vehicle. And metric pliers and screwdrivers will work fine on your dolly! Even your metric vice grip! Now of course if you decide you want race an MGB... you've got bigger problems!! :)

Jake
12-24-2005, 06:53 PM
FWIW - most useful tools EVER:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...subcat=Wrenches (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00942445000&subcat=Wrenches)

64oeg
12-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Yeah, most domestic vehicles are now metric. However, domestic metric and import metric typically us different sizes. Domestic typically use 8-10-13-15 and 18 mm head sizes, while imports typically use 7-10-12-14-17-19mm with the occasional 16mm thrown in. Of course, replacement hardware bolts will vary, and really p!ss you off.

Most tool sets will cover you from 8mm to 19mm. Just make sure that the tool set that you plan to buy will cover your anticipated needs.

As a proffesional auto tech, I have bought a lot of tools from Mac, Snap-on, and Matco. All quality tools. But you PAY for them to come to you. Craftsman indeed makes many quality tools, however because of my own personal dislikes for Sears, I no longer purchase them. For light weight tools, IE 1/4 drive, screwdrivers etc... I've been using independent tool shops. For something a bit more heavy duty, I've been buying the Husky brand that Home Depot carries. Life time warrenty.

Just my .02 cents worth

George

Bill Miller
12-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Jake@Dec 24 2005, 06:53 PM

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...subcat=Wrenches (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00942445000&subcat=Wrenches)

What Jake said! Those ratchet box-ends are the best!

MMiskoe
12-24-2005, 09:31 PM
If you don't have the SAE stuff you look awfully silly asking your neighbor for a the tools to fix your lawnmower or dishwasher when your hobbie is wrenching.

Tools are an investment. Just like getting a drivers suit you like & fits is. If you're going to go racing, you will be needing tools, just like you need your helmet. Take care of them, loan them out carefully and you will only buy them once. Some of my kit are tools that my dad gave me when I was in 8th grade.

9 times out of 10 buying the Craftsman grade stuff is so little more money than the cheapo stuff that you'd be silly not to just get the good ones. This does not always apply to big stuff like the 1" drill bit that you need to use for 2 holes.

Eagle7
12-25-2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Jake@Dec 24 2005, 06:53 PM

This one drops the 11 mm that I never use and adds 17 mm that I use all the time.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...000&tab=spe#tab (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00942445000&tab=spe#tab)

loopracing
12-25-2005, 01:18 AM
Also,don't forget that Sears offers a lifetime replacement warranty on handtools.
I've replaced tools up to 20 yrs. old, that I've done horrible things to.

philstireservice
12-25-2005, 10:54 PM
http://www.toptul-usa.com/

try these guys too.......they make some great stuff. I've won a few sets of tools from them.

They are one of sponsors for the East Coast honda Challenge in NASA....

RacerBill
12-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by loopracing@Dec 25 2005, 01:18 AM
Also,don't forget that Sears offers a lifetime replacement warranty on handtools.
I've replaced tools up to 20 yrs. old, that I've done horrible things to.

Read the fine print, though. Turns out that Craftsman tools such as torque wrenches have limited warranty, not lifetime!

Festus E. Simkins
12-27-2005, 12:28 PM
While we are on the subject of tools. Does anyone know where I can get a ratchet hex drive 5.5 mm?

My Craftsman's allen wrench set has a 5.5mm in it. I would like to get a 5.5mm 3'8" drive allen wrench so it would be easier to install and remove the studs from the 1st gen brake disks. I have looked everywhere to include but not limited to SnapOn, Mac, Craftsman, K-mart, Wall Mart, Jap junk, China junk, India junk, etc., to no avail. :blink: There has got to be one made somewhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks

JamesB
12-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Depends ont eh size of the stud. If its late model like my street car there is nothing that will work on an M14 stud. But for say and m12 stud have you looked at this http://store.autotoolexpress.com/ass100-12.html

http://all-tool.com/AST-10012MM.jpg

Bill Miller
12-27-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Festus E. Simkins@Dec 27 2005, 12:28 PM
While we are on the subject of tools. Does anyone know where I can get a ratchet hex drive 5.5 mm?

My Craftsman's allen wrench set has a 5.5mm in it. I would like to get a 5.5mm 3'8" drive allen wrench so it would be easier to install and remove the studs from the 1st gen brake disks. I have looked everywhere to include but not limited to SnapOn, Mac, Craftsman, K-mart, Wall Mart, Jap junk, China junk, India junk, etc., to no avail. :blink: There has got to be one made somewhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Festus,

You might just have to make that one. Can you get a 5.5mm socket, or the SAE equivalent? Looks like a 7/32 is going to be real close (.21875" vs .2165" for 5.5mm). Maybe you can get a 7/32" allen-head socket, but it might be a tad snug.

If you can't, take a piece of the 5.5mm allen wrench, cut it off, and use some J-B Weld to 'glue' it in the 7/32 socket. Ta-da, you have your 5.5mm allen-head socket.

I've done similar stuff w/ ball-end allen wrenches. You can't get those in sockets, but most allen-head sockets have a small set screw, so you can change the allen wrench part.

HTH

Bill Miller
12-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by JamesB@Dec 27 2005, 12:44 PM
Depends ont eh size of the stud. If its late model like my street car there is nothing that will work on an M14 stud. But for say and m12 stud have you looked at this http://store.autotoolexpress.com/ass100-12.html

http://all-tool.com/AST-10012MM.jpg

$40 + shipping for a stud remover? :119:

Us cheap racers use a double nut!!! (here come the jokes!).

JamesB
12-27-2005, 02:25 PM
The 7/32 is not tight enough and it strips, thats what I tried to use on my M14 studs, its fine for putting them in and getting them to tq, but pulling them it stripped.

I figure 40 bucks for a took that would make stud removal and replacement a snap is well worth the price. figure how often you replace wheel bearings and hubs on VW's wouldnt it be nice to be able to reuse your studs a few times rather then replacing them every single time?

Bill Miller
12-27-2005, 02:38 PM
James, if 7/32 is too loose, I&#39;d go w/ a 15/64. Even still, you could make that 5.5 mm allen-head socket for <$40. As far as the VW studs, pulling them w/ a double-nut is easy, not to mention that you can put a lot more torque on that that I would a 5.5mm allen head. I&#39;ve seen guys twist up 6mm and 8mm allen-head sockets.

JamesB
12-27-2005, 02:49 PM
find me a 15/64th socket? The double nut works well but not when someone helps out and cross threads the stud for you.

Either way, the suggestion came from more then one race shop, and since I do most of my work myself a tool like that will save me time and hassel and let me get my work done faster is fine with me.

Something was said to me a long time ago when I was a paid mechanic out of HS. Time is money, on or off the clock, a 40 dollar tool you know you will use often and saves you time will pay for itself in a few uses.

OTLimit
12-27-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by JamesB@Dec 27 2005, 12:25 PM
figure how often you replace wheel bearings and hubs on VW&#39;s wouldnt it be nice to be able to reuse your studs a few times rather then replacing them every single time?

Actually, I would rather pay for new studs then worry about them breaking. Few things piss me off worse then not finishing or losing the race because of trying to scrimp at that level.

Studs should be less then $12-15/corner TOPS, and we only change them once or twice a year, even with the number of races that Chris does.

Back on topic, Chris&#39; Christmas present was from Home Depot--a Husky 1/2in composite impact that he had been looking at, but being good and not buying. Lifetime warranty. He&#39;s happy.

Greg Amy
01-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Dave, Craftsman is having a sale on their tool sets through February 4th. Craftsman Club members can buy their 283-piece set which includes:

- 180 sockets
- 3 quick-release ratchets
- 46 combo wrenches
- 11 drive tools, 40 hex keys
- 3 slotted and 3 Philips scredrivers
- Screw/nutdriver handle, bits

Retails for $349.99, yours for $289.99. Cash tight? Get a Sears card and pay it out over a few months.

Part number 34283, http://www.craftsman.com

Like I said: best (maybe only) investment in racing you&#39;ll ever make... - GA

gran racing
01-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Actually, the set I purchased was delivered a few weeks ago and I&#39;ve re-organized my tool box to accomodate them. Very cool! Next purchase is the cordless impact gun - can&#39;t wait!