PDA

View Full Version : A2 air intake question for ITB car

robinlarry
12-19-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm running an A2 GTI. Someone had mentioned to me I should gut the large plastic airbox inside the passenger side fender. I'm just wondering what others have done here: Run a hose up from the ground to the opening in the engine comparment? Just leave the opening in the engine compartment open? Cut a hole in the plastic box and reinstalled it into the fender? And should I cut open the air box below the K&N filter and duct that over to the sheet metal opening to keep out engine bay hot air? Suggestions welcome.

Andy Bettencourt
12-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by robinlarry@Dec 19 2005, 11:34 AM
I'm running an A2 GTI. Someone had mentioned to me I should gut the large plastic airbox inside the passenger side fender. I'm just wondering what others have done here: Run a hose up from the ground to the opening in the engine comparment? Just leave the opening in the engine compartment open? Cut a hole in the plastic box and reinstalled it into the fender? And should I cut open the air box below the K&N filter and duct that over to the sheet metal opening to keep out engine bay hot air? Suggestions welcome.

I would suggest taking a long and hard look at the rules for IT on this one. When you do, post back with some ideas because I think you have suggested some illegal stuff.

AB

robinlarry
12-21-2005, 07:33 PM
I don't think so. The plastic unit in the fender could be considered the intake. We're free to remove that. I'm not suggesting we cut any sheetmetal...just run air up to the opening in front of the air box. Which also could legally be cut.

Matt Rowe
12-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by robinlarry@Dec 21 2005, 06:33 PM
I don't think so. The plastic unit in the fender could be considered the intake. We're free to remove that. I'm not suggesting we cut any sheetmetal...just run air up to the opening in front of the air box. Which also could legally be cut.

The part that you still have to adhere to is 17.1.4.D.1.a.4

All air entering the intake tract shall pass through the carburetor or fuel injection air inlet. Air intake source shall be within the confines of the engine compartment or stock location.

Keeping in mind that no legal modification can perform an illegal function. So while removing a fender mounted intake component is legal it can not result in bringing that air into the intake.

zracre
12-22-2005, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Matt Rowe@Dec 21 2005, 10:14 PM
The part that you still have to adhere to is 17.1.4.D.1.a.4

All air entering the intake tract shall pass through the carburetor or fuel injection air inlet. Air intake source shall be within the confines of the engine compartment or stock location.

Keeping in mind that no legal modification can perform an illegal function. So while removing a fender mounted intake component is legal it can not result in bringing that air into the intake.

I think that area is more grey...if the air filter is in the stock location and the air inlet to be removed is an airbox component that sources air, I believe he can remove it as part of the airbox...you just cant duct air into the void of where it was...it was origionally intended to bring air there as part of the airbox...just my thoughts

Andy Bettencourt
12-22-2005, 10:24 AM
I think I agree with Evan here...if the OEM stuff is in the fenderwell, you can keep the stock setup in there. Change the stock filter to a cone etc.

If you remove it all per the rules, you can't then source your air for your new setup from that location via a custom tube or the like.

AB

Matt Rowe
12-22-2005, 11:00 AM
Didn't mean to come across as a tech inspector or SOM, I was just trying to point out the relevant section to the new guy. Gee, don't we all have too much free time. :)

It is highly dependant on the OEM setup, and if the OEM source from the fender well you can make that argument. Modifying a stock component to make the fender well the source when it hadn't been prior would be illegal. In my humble judgment.

mgyip
12-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Another possible way to feed cold air into an 8v is to use the 16v air box that effectively uses the passenger headlight as a factory scoop. Of course in VW's infinite wisdom, the ducting isn't well sealed and turns the air 90 degrees 3-4 times in less than 4 inches of travel so its usefulness is more than questionable.

Bildon
12-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Robin,
I see nothing wrong with your initial post.
But don't go nuts. Your engine cant use enough air to require a larger hose.

It's more important that you source cool air and that you dont disrupt the flow and cause it to be turbulent as it enters the throttle body.

The stock system is excellent. Pull the air from behind the headlight or the fender.

If you just HAVE to go fabricate something... make the airbox as large as possible, use as large a filter as possible. This will reduce heat soak after you've been on track for 10+ mnutes. Insulate the engine side of the airbox and tubing.

robinlarry
01-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Larry