PDA

View Full Version : EGT Gauge for 2nd Gen

tdw6974
12-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Is a EGT (Dual) usefull on a 2nd gen 13B. Or does the ecu eliminate its usefulness. How about an O 2 sensor? :unsure:

C. Ludwig
12-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by tdw6974@Dec 18 2005, 07:06 PM
Is a EGT (Dual) usefull on a 2nd gen 13B. Or does the ecu eliminate its usefulness. How about an O 2 sensor? :unsure:

There isn't anything you can do to trim the rotors seperately with a completely stock ECU. Now if you stuff an EMS in the stock case that's a different story.

Using a dual gauge does let you see if you have a problem if there is a wide difference between rotors. To tune for a/f ratio a wideband O2 sensor is more accurate. Since EGT is effected by ignition timing and a/f ratio you can be off on both but still create a temp that's "right". A wideband combined with a dyno session will allow you to find what a/f ratio provides best power along with bumping the timing around until you again find best power. Any good dyno operator will have a wideband as part of the dyno setup that you can use eliminating the need to purchase one.

tbtapper
12-30-2005, 04:24 PM
I just added a pair of AFR guages to my g-2. It is "interesting" to compare the readings for each rotor. It is also "interesting" to actually see what afr is doing while at varying power points on a track.

That said I agree with Chris that unless you have sophisticated and very $$$ fuel/ignition controls your ability to correct any particular problem is pretty limited.

At the ARRC this year my motor just would'nt pull. The AFR meters clearly showed that the secondaries were'nt comming in as needed. (it's a long story about "improving" stuff that works just fine)

I R&Red the secondaries and all was well again. The meters made the diagnosis simple. (then I ran out of gas after starting 59th and working up to 10th or 11th. It's a real drag to watch all the folks you just passed whiz by while you're stumbling around!)

I personally like the AFR guages and will use them for more tuning as I become enlightened to Mazda FI.

TT