PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cell Bulkhead

rsx165
12-15-2005, 07:59 PM
The GCR states a metal bulkhead is needed between a driver & a fuel cell if the cell is in the driver/passanger compartment.
It does not state how or what material, other than metal, the bulkhead is to be constructed.
I am putting the cell on the passanger floor.
Any ideas ?

Thanks Mark

Eagle7
12-15-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by rsx165@Dec 15 2005, 07:59 PM
The GCR states a metal bulkhead is needed between a driver & a fuel cell if the cell is in the driver/passanger compartment.
It does not state how or what material, other than metal, the bulkhead is to be constructed.
Any ideas ?

Thanks Mark

Is it within 12" of the original fuel tank location?

rsx165
12-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Eagle7@Dec 15 2005, 09:02 PM
Is it within 12" of the original fuel tank location?

YES

x-ring
12-16-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by rsx165@Dec 15 2005, 04:59 PM
Any ideas ?

Thanks Mark

I made a box out of 16 gauge 5052 (or maybe it was 5054?) aluminum to cover the frame I made out of 1" square 16 gauge steel tubing.

Pop rivets and metal duct tape are your friends.

racer_tim
12-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Mine is made from Aluminum. Don't remember how thick it is.

http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/2002/cell-cover.jpg

http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/2002/cell-1.jpg

Greg Amy
12-23-2005, 07:04 PM
The funny part is, all these boxes are probably legal. However, I would expect that the purpose of this "bulkhead" is to prevent fuel entering the driver's compartment in the event of an incident.

So how many of these "bulkheads"/boxes are actually gonna stop fuel from splashing all over the driver anyway? Even though I wouldn't bounce them at an inspection as-is, I encourage you guys to use some type of fuel-resistent sealing tapes around the seams to stop fuel splash. - GA

benspeed
12-23-2005, 08:00 PM
Per Greg - your really want to be sure that burning fuel cannot reach the passenger compartment. If you can seal the seems as best as possible you'll be safer and won't get grousing from tech. I have a bulkhead and was asked to run the metal duct tape all around any seam that might allow fuel into the passenger compartment. I appreciated the safety advice. They stopped short of asking me to put rubber seams where the bulkhead opened for fueling, but I was told in Prod or GT looks for that level of safety.

PS - I also have a very large bulkhead per the idea that much of the airspace is displaced in the cockpit creating a more aerodynamic car. I'm no car builder but thought I'd mention that as a possible performance advantage. Might make no difference. Makes for a very clean and professional look.

Hotshoe
12-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by rsx165@Dec 15 2005, 11:59 PM
Thanks Mark

.Mark,

... I prefer to make my bulkheads out of sheet metal / tin. Aluminum will not withstand fire, thus not providing protection to the driver during all possible circumstances :018:

... Rick Thompson

charrbq
12-24-2005, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Hotshoe@Dec 24 2005, 01:56 AM
.Mark,

... I prefer to make my bulkheads out of sheet metal / tin. Aluminum will not withstand fire, thus not providing protection to the driver during all possible circumstances :018:

... Rick Thompson

Good point, Rick! Something I never thought of. Should that transfer in thought to aluminum enclosed fuel cells? I was looking that way as a weight savings. Price difference is nominal, but, thinking about the flammable issue, weight difference might not be worth it. :023: