PDA

View Full Version : engine modifications?

anrkii
12-14-2005, 05:34 AM
i am buying a turnkey itb 85 crxsi, and i am going to build a second engine for it, and i was wondering just what modifications can be done, if any?

looking at the rules, it seems that there isnt really much i can do to the engine legally, so basically i am building a stock engine, right?

any tips or ideas?

joeg
12-14-2005, 08:45 AM
If you are building it yourself, sure, try and keep it stock (Hondas are pretty good motors in "stock" form).

You may want to do a little match porting, balance the components, work to get cam timing spot-on, etc., but overall a "stock" Honda will work just fine.

Zephyr
12-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Make sure you have a factory manual and follow it to a T. Grab a copy of the rule book and take it with you to your machine shop. Bore it out to .040 over. Have all your bottom end components balanced. Pick up all the bottom end bearings from your local Honda dealer after taking down all of the information that is stamped on the block, crank and rods regarding the thickness of the bearings. Some people say to go with all Red bearings to keep things on the loose side but IIRC these are guys who run these engines in Production. Intake and exhaust porting you can do on your own. I did mine and it was comparable power wise to a well known shop. It could get more power so I'm sending out an extra head that I have for this seasons engine.

All the power that you are going to get out of these little engines is going to come from the head work. Make sure you have a good header and exhaust on the car too. Most of the off the shelf headers are not all that great and have vast amounts of restrictions in them.

Zephyr