PDA

View Full Version : Hi! Rallycrossing a 240SX: suspension issues

ChrisC
12-12-2005, 10:33 AM
I was linked over from Grassrootsmotosports in my quest to improve my car's suspension. I have an S13 240SX without HICAS (yay). I'm currently on the stock springs with KYB-GR2s. The entire setup is way too soft. I'd like both stiffer springs and dampers with very durable valving but I don't want to loose any ride height. Coilovers would be fine, but they'd have to have really good valving and seals to deal with the much more random nature of a grassy field. If not coilovers, which springs and struts?

One of the options I'm working on is stiffer springs and modified adjustable BMW intended Bilsteins, but I can't seem to find a stiffer spring that doesn't lower the car: the vast majority of stuff out there is intended for drifting/ridezzzz.

RSTPerformance
12-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Chris-

You should be able to get "sleeved Coilovers" that could be used with any strut inserts... You can get any spring rate when using "racing springs" in your Coilover setup.

Basically Coilovers are the best way to go, and you do not need to have any really good valving and seals to deal with the much more random nature of a grassy field, just because you have coilovers. Struts and springs are two different animals to be used together for optimal performance.

Raymond "If I am totaly unclear I can try to explain better..." Blethen

Joe Harlan
12-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by ChrisC@Dec 12 2005, 07:33 AM
I was linked over from Grassrootsmotosports in my quest to improve my car's suspension. I have an S13 240SX without HICAS (yay). I'm currently on the stock springs with KYB-GR2s. The entire setup is way too soft. I'd like both stiffer springs and dampers with very durable valving but I don't want to loose any ride height. Coilovers would be fine, but they'd have to have really good valving and seals to deal with the much more random nature of a grassy field. If not coilovers, which springs and struts?

One of the options I'm working on is stiffer springs and modified adjustable BMW intended Bilsteins, but I can't seem to find a stiffer spring that doesn't lower the car: the vast majority of stuff out there is intended for drifting/ridezzzz.

PM sent.

erlrich
12-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Try Ground Control (www.ground-control-store.com) or SPL Parts (www.splparts.com). Both sell high quality stuff, both have provided me with excellent service.

Good luck

ChrisC
12-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by RSTPerformance@Dec 12 2005, 09:47 AM
Chris
Basically Coilovers are the best way to go, and you do not need to have any really good valving and seals to deal with the much more random nature of a grassy field, just because you have coilovers. Struts and springs are two different animals to be used together for optimal performance.
You do need good valving and seals because otherwise you will eat struts. A coilover spring will do much more of the work, but just the extra motion will probably eat a cheaper strut.

I'm going to the junkyard as soon as I have time and will start taking apart various Nissans to see if they have what I need :)

RSTPerformance
12-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Chris C-

Good point... lol...

I thought you were questioning those coilover kits where the struts and shocks are all one unit and very expensive... Coilovers are cheep, and can be done without the struts. I have done it on the race car back when we used ours for road racing as well as rallies. Interesting enough, our cars were best for "off road stuff" with the coilovers and stock soft blownout struts... I am sure the cars would be better with better struts, but it was the cheepest way out. Even in the rain in Road Racing the cars were better with stock struts rather than the racing ones that we run now (same exact coilovers as before). Softer can be better!!! But that again all depends on driving style... And everything depends also on buget.

I am not sure of any other options than coilovers for your application. The sleeved coilovers should work fine and be your cheepest way out. As far as struts, I have herd many good things about the bilstiens in off road applications, however I am partial to giving Koni a try based on everything they have done for us.

Raymond