PDA

View Full Version : How bad is cold temps for race tires?

Ben 84 RX-7
12-10-2005, 02:29 PM
I have my RX-7 in my garage for the winter. No exposure to sunlight, or any elements (rain, snow etc.) It does get cold in the garage however since I have no heater out there. Is just being cold bad for the tires? I keep air in them so they don't sit flat. Should I put the car on jack stands and bring the tires in the house?

Thanks!

Ben

lateapex911
12-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Yes.

LOL...but what do I know? I DO know you want to be on the fastest tires you can, and I know you want to control your budget...so, it wouldn't hurt, would it? Greg Amy has the low down on all the tricks, but basically, bag em in a black bag, put them in a cool dry place away from electric motors, flourescent lights, toads feet and other incantations, and you should be just fine come spring time.

Never store the car for any period on the tires, warm or not..they prefer to be truly round!

(And by the way..."cold" for your neck of the woods is an understatement! I am positive you will see numerous sub zero mornings...)

zracre
12-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Ick!!! you could come south and keep them warm at sebring in feb.......When I lived up in northeastern Mass, I used to keep my dirt bike and all the parts in the garage...autocross friends of mine seem to like to put street rollers on the car (no place to leave it immobile....wife garage kids etc) and keep the tires inside in garbage bags.

Wreckerboy
12-12-2005, 09:56 AM
Ben - what Jake (and by extension Greg) said. Keep 'em inside, away from toads and light and all that. Then again, I'm such a cheap bastard that I bag my tires and store whenever they're not on the car, year 'round. My race tires even travel to and from the track in the van, and don't go on the car until race morning.