PDA

View Full Version : catch can breather setup - KA24E

stevel
12-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Hey all,

As of yet we have not used a catchcan/breather setup at all on these motors. I am planning to this coming season but am not sure how to route this. And there's always some debate on the subject. With the hondas, the line from the intake tube to valve cover was a source of fresh air for the crankcase so some people would say leave that as is and just run the catchcan inline with the pcv. On the SOHC motors, is the valve cover to intake line a source of fresh air? I imagine it is. Does it ever revert to let pressure out at say high load/high rpm operation?

Should I use a breather or just a closed catchcan? What lines should the catchcan be routed into?

Joe, please fill me in here. I'm clueless.

steve

Andy Bettencourt
12-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by stevel@Dec 8 2005, 01:46 PM
Hey all,

I'm clueless.

steve

Do we need a message board to tell us this???

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Can you tell I will be racing against these guys next year?

:happy204:

AB

Joe Harlan
12-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt@Dec 8 2005, 02:29 PM
Do we need a message board to tell us this???

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Can you tell I will be racing against these guys next year?

:happy204:

AB

Stevel, because I believe the system should stay closed. I am moving mine to a oil catch tank and running a line back to the intake tube. This will allow the system to do its job while allowing any oil in the air stream to fall out rather than contaminate the intake charge.

handfulz28
12-12-2005, 01:08 AM
It's been a long while since I've seen the stock layout, but isn't the intake tube a source of vacuum, to suck out vapors? And that's why the TB and intake manifold can get coated in oil?
I plugged the intake tube, and T'd both the valve cover and the line that runs off the front cover, underneath the water inlets/outlets, into a catch can. Sorry Joe, it's not airtight so I guess it couldn't be considered a closed system.
Is there much difference, performance/reliability-wise not pollution, in maintaining that vacuum versus just letting the crankcase vent?
Thanks,
Michael

Joe Harlan
12-12-2005, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by handfulz28@Dec 11 2005, 10:08 PM
It's been a long while since I've seen the stock layout, but isn't the intake tube a source of vacuum, to suck out vapors? And that's why the TB and intake manifold can get coated in oil?
I plugged the intake tube, and T'd both the valve cover and the line that runs off the front cover, underneath the water inlets/outlets, into a catch can. Sorry Joe, it's not airtight so I guess it couldn't be considered a closed system.
Is there much difference, performance/reliability-wise not pollution, in maintaining that vacuum versus just letting the crankcase vent?
Thanks,
Michael

Oiling the intake charge is never good. but positive evacuation of crankcase gases is. Maybe no large opportunity to create a vacuum in the crank case but there is no reason to chance a pressure. ANyway when I go back to the dyno in the spring I will try it both ways and let you know.