PDA

View Full Version : ccr double drivers school

flaboy
12-03-2005, 11:11 AM
I would like to attend the double drivers school in january 2006.I have emailed the registrar and have not gotten any info from them.I am asking for some help from anyone in that region.I am looking for an entry form. if you can get me one please e-mail me at [email protected].

Thank you for your help.

Tim

JamesB
12-03-2005, 11:44 AM
did you goto the www.ccrscca.org site and click on the register link on the left hand side? looks like thats their online registration system.

Team SSR
12-05-2005, 09:53 AM
I emailed Mr. Bartlett about attending this school as well...

"Online registration will be via myautoevents.com, so if you're not registered on this, you can do that in advance. Entry fee will be $385."

I was told the school should be open for registration shortly.
I sent my sons forms to Kansas this morning.

erlrich
12-08-2005, 07:48 PM
Registration is now open for the school.

Catch22
12-08-2005, 08:05 PM
I went to this school last year and was very impressed. CCR did a great job, and the instructor to student ratio was excellent.

flaboy
12-13-2005, 09:26 PM
i just signed up on sunday 12/11.sent all my paper work in for my novice permit on monday.can't wait to go.i only hope theres no rain or snow or cold weather.

the only bad thing about this school is that i will be there alone,no help.but i'm sure the'll be someone around to help me out if i need help.

it's been 15 years since i've raced and i can't wait to run again.

erlrich
12-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by flaboy@Dec 13 2005, 09:26 PM
the only bad thing about this school is that i will be there alone,no help

You won't be the only one - with having to leave Thursday there's no way I will be able to get anyone to come down with me. I only hope CCR is not like the DC Region and requires a crew member for each driver. I didn't see anything in the sups.

Catch22
12-14-2005, 12:11 AM
I'd be careful about that guys. You will get TONS of seat time and classroom time at this school. If anything goes wrong you either wont have time to fix it or you'll miss sessions, and if you miss too many sessions you wont pass the school.

GET CREW.
Pay someone to go with you if you have to.

Gregg
12-14-2005, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by erlrich@Dec 13 2005, 10:05 PM
You won't be the only one - with having to leave Thursday there's no way I will be able to get anyone to come down with me. I only hope CCR is not like the DC Region and requires a crew member for each driver. I didn't see anything in the sups.

Earl-

There's nothing in the supps about crew being required for a WDCR school. It's simply a very strong suggestion since the driver isn't going to have time to work on his car between sessions. I would assume that it's no different at any of the schools you might attend as they're quite intense and emmersive. Having been on both the learning and teaching end, I can tell you that car prep goes a long way towards being able to complete your school.

Good luck to all of you!

Racerboy03
12-14-2005, 03:51 AM
Tim,

I may be able to come down and help you out that weekend. Shoot me an email:

[email protected]

-Mark

JeffYoung
12-14-2005, 01:04 PM
I echo Scott's comments:

1. It was a GREAT school last year (I was there crewing for a buddy). 30 cars max I think, good student/instructor ratio, and other than an SRF that kept spinning, everyone stayed pretty level headed.

2. Do have crew if you can. You are on track a lot and won't have time to work on the car. Crew is not required, and I made it through Savannah school (in a British car no less) without crew, but it's asking for trouble if you don't carry someone down with you.

3. I may be instructing this year, but if not (and even if I am), come see me if you need some help. I'll be in a big green Suburban with yellow and gold stripes -- RTP Racing on the side. Can't miss it, especially in a "light" paddock.

Good luck, and hope to see you down there.

Jeff

JamesB
12-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Greg you are wrong, the WDCR sups state

OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
�� Each student is required to obtain and read a copy of the
current GCR prior to the school. GCRs may be purchased
from the SCCA National Office (www.scca.com, 800-
770-2055).
�� It is mandatory that each student have at least one
responsible crew member present at this event.

Gregg
12-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by JamesB@Dec 14 2005, 01:30 PM
It is mandatory that each student have at least one
responsible crew member present at this event.

Well, then I stand corrected and I appreciate it. As JamesB will attest since he paddocked next to a driver/car combo that would have not made it through school (or as much as it did) without competant crew on hand to wrench (and tug and pull) away while the student was in madatory classroom sessions, that crew is many times a necessity. I think you´ll also find some posts from racers that just finsihed their rookie seasons that I personally crewed for that note how necessary this is.

Maybe it´s best to look at it this way....most of us have no problem coming solo for a sprint race. Would you do the same for a 12hr (or even a six hour) endurance race?

Hopefully Mark will be able to come down from Charlotte and help you out.

gmmiata
12-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by flaboy@Dec 13 2005, 09:26 PM
i just signed up on sunday 12/11.sent all my paper work in for my novice permit on monday.can't wait to go.i only hope theres no rain or snow or cold weather.
the only bad thing about this school is that i will be there alone,no help.but i'm sure the'll be someone around to help me out if i need help.
it's been 15 years since i've raced and i can't wait to run again.

Fla, I will be there with the John Deere/ Race Engineering SM. I will be in the school with you, but we will have full crew available if you need assistance. I also have a buddy that will be onsite all weekend to assist if you need help.

Please tell as many folks as you can about this school. We really need to have 50 or 60 in school to make it work, otherwiswe there may not be another next year.
BTW CMP is a GREAT track, probably one of the safest place to trace in the SE.

Glenn

JamesB
12-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Your right Gregg he would not have passed his school without using all the resources of our Paddock. I was lucky to get a 3rd person to come down for the weekend that could keep an eye on my car which ran with relative ease.

As one who took a single driver school, I have to say beg, pleade, bribe someone who can take direction, check tire pressures and fluid levels and all the basic other prep like cleaning windscreens. I barely had enough time to use the bathroom if it wasnt lunch break, so I just cannot see how you can make it through a school without someone.

If you can find someone with a competent wrenching hand, thats even better....stay away from current SCCA social butterflys, they can lead to some fustration when you cant find them and your car is having an issue.

flaboy
12-21-2005, 08:47 PM
I want to thank everyone for their support.anyone willing to help out would be much appriecated.My wifes grand father will be comming up with me so theres alittle help with tire pressures and checking all the fluids and cleaning things up for me.But if we need mechanical help i'll come begging for help from all of you.

can't wait to get going again.it's been 15 years since i've raced and can't wait!!

Thanks again.

Tim Martin

PS- You won't be able to miss me....Bright Teal Rabitt

erlrich
12-29-2005, 12:32 PM
For those who have attended this school in the past - the sups say there will be classroom instruction followed by a GCR test. Is the test based solely on the material from the class session, is it a comprehensive test on the GCR, or something in between? I'm already pretty familiar with the section on flags, as well as the parts of sections 17 - 20 that relate to IT, but the rest I would probably want to go over if I were being tested on it.

Thanks

Oh, also, is anyone willing to spill the beans on the "bring your right shoe to the classroom" deal? Or is that one of those "you'll have to find out for yourself" things? Sorry, I just hate surprises.

JamesB
12-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Well what I learned from my first school was bring your GCR, at the same time for the school worry about the core GCR and not the class specific portions.

with WDCR it was an open book GCR test (we got the test 2 weeks before the school.) and a closed book flag test. Even then the open book it took me a good hour and forced me to reread a few sections to find the answer, so their GCR test was put together pretty well.

erlrich
12-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by JamesB@Dec 29 2005, 12:54 PM
Well what I learned from my first school was bring your GCR, at the same time for the school worry about the core GCR and not the class specific portions.

with WDCR it was an open book GCR test (we got the test 2 weeks before the school.) and a closed book flag test. Even then the open book it took me a good hour and forced me to reread a few sections to find the answer, so their GCR test was put together pretty well.

Yep, I did the WDCR test too, and I know there was no way I would have gotten half of the answers had the test not been open book. That's why I was kind of hoping the CCR test would be based on the classroom stuff, or maybe open book also.

JamesB
12-29-2005, 02:14 PM
From what I took fromt he WDCR school was that they didnt expect you to memorize the whole GCR...though we know a few here who have. But to make sure you know where to look to find the answer and generally make sure you read it. I just dont see CCR being any different and expecting you to be able to recite all of x.x.x from memory. But i would expect them to make you recite the meaning of every flag from memory.

racer14itc
12-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by JamesB@Dec 29 2005, 06:14 PM
From what I took fromt he WDCR school was that they didnt expect you to memorize the whole GCR...though we know a few here who have. But to make sure you know where to look to find the answer and generally make sure you read it. I just dont see CCR being any different and expecting you to be able to recite all of x.x.x from memory. But i would expect them to make you recite the meaning of every flag from memory.

As an instructor at the CCR school coming up, it's also a good idea to know if you can or cannot pass under each of the flags as well. :023: I'm amazed/shock/horrified at the number of licensed drivers I've encountered (novices, regional and national license holders) who don't know if they can pass under a white flag, a debris flag, a checkered flag, etc...

Or the ones who think a double yellow flag means immediately slow down to 30 mph and create a huge parade behind you. :119:

See ya there!

MC

JamesB
12-29-2005, 02:53 PM
I havnt seen that at the races I been at, I have seen a few brake checks as they go from 10/10th to 5/10th the second the double yellow comes out.

racer14itc
12-29-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by JamesB@Dec 29 2005, 06:53 PM
I havnt seen that at the races I been at, I have seen a few brake checks as they go from 10/10th to 5/10th the second the double yellow comes out.

James,

I've been in a few races in which I've gotten caught behind some yahoo (usually a lapper but not always) who won't catch up to the safety car under double yellows, creating a long line of very unhappy drivers. Even the corner workers were practically on the track waving to the clueless driver to speed up and catch up, to no avail. :angry:

My point is that the students at the CCR school (and other schools of course) should not only be able to identify the flags but also what constraints they put on the track/racing surface. I've surprised more than a couple of drivers over the years with a (safe) pass under a white flag condition when they slowed down (too much). I've also seen near wrecks by people relaxing a little too much after taking the checker and nearly collecting someone who was passing them on the cool down lap (a perfectly legal thing to do). And I have been the beneficiary of a pass on a fast, but uninformed, newbie driver who moved over and let me pass when he was shown the blue passing flag. :blink:

See ya there!

MC

JamesB
12-29-2005, 03:16 PM
oh yeah the white flag as the worse. But WDCR did great about pounding that into your head to just keep going. We actually had a few incidents that they didnt even have to drill us on certain flags as one of my run groups drivers brought out the red, we had enough hot pulls from drivers that it wasnt all that bad.

Ron Earp
12-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Jeff and I are going down to crew for three new drivers we're bringing in. I'll help out if anyone needs help, we've got our stuff covered I think unless something breaks.

Ron

Jim
12-30-2005, 09:01 AM
Hey Ron,

I will be down there crewing for a friend of mine who crewed for me last year. I normally run the white IT7 in CCPS. He will have a grey and red IT7. We might have another car (blue and yellow IT7) for a different friend. If you need a hand on the cars let me know, otherwise we can hoist a cold frosty beer after on-track events.

Jim

Ron Earp
12-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Jim@Dec 30 2005, 09:01 AM
Hey Ron,

I will be down there crewing for a friend of mine who crewed for me last year. I normally run the white IT7 in CCPS. He will have a grey and red IT7. We might have another car (blue and yellow IT7) for a different friend. If you need a hand on the cars let me know, otherwise we can hoist a cold frosty beer after on-track events.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the offer of help and we'll help out where we can. We'll have three Miatas down there, #43 which is red with black top, Richard Petty style numbers, #39 which is silver and black, and another car which is white with some green trim. As Jeff and the others will tell you, there is a lot to do in the little town of Camden, you just have to find it.

As you know, last year was cold! We'll have a 20ft enclosed trailer with RTP Racing triangles on the side, come in and get warm if you need. We're planning to have a heater in there, but I'm hoping this year will have more sun and temps like we have now - 60F!

ron

charrbq
12-30-2005, 03:32 PM
I have a good friend that has ADD. Even though he's had his license for ten years, before each track session, I have to go over the flags with him. He's not dangerous, but just forgetful. He was passing a car once that was given the passing flag. When my buddy saw the flag, he moved over and backed off. I verbally beat him up after the session for doing so. His response was he thought the flag was for him and someone else was passing. To his defense, we were on the track with the Corvette challenge.

charrbq
12-30-2005, 03:34 PM
Nothing is worse than getting behind someone, under a full course yellow, that drops their speed to a crawl as the field drives away. That is, unless you are the cause for the yellow flag...that would be worse.

Team SSR
01-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Anyone know why the school was cancelled?

I guess I'll be going to Savannah...

CaptainWho
01-06-2006, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Team SSR@Jan 5 2006, 10:31 PM
Anyone know why the school was cancelled?

The CCR Web (http://www.ccrscca.org) site says it's due to low entries. Now I wish I'd pursued that "get another double school under my belt" idea. Supps or not, if entries were that low I bet they'd have let me.

erlrich
01-06-2006, 07:37 AM
Well s*#t! I was worried this might happen, as of yesterday they only had 18 entries.

I wonder when they were going to tell us about it? I wouldn't know anything if I hadn't seen it here. Thanks guys. See you at Roebling I guess.

Toni
01-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Here is the text of the email I received.

Due to very low entries (about 20), we have decided to cancel the school at Kershaw in January. If you know anyone who was planning to attend, please let them know. Thanks.

Betsy Speed
CCR Registrar

erlrich
01-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by erlrich@Jan 6 2006, 07:37 AM
I wonder when they were going to tell us about it?

Question answered - just got the phone call. I take back all those terrible things I was thinking :D

pistonwheels
01-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Hi,

The decision to cancel was made yesterday Jan 05 (as I just came back yesterday from a vacation in England). At that time we only had 17 definite entries and another 4 possible. I had received a few further inquiries.

We needed about 30 entrants to even come close to break even. (Last year we lost a signifcant amount). It was extremely unlikely that we would reach that number.

It costs somewhere around $16,000 to $20,000 to put on an SCCA double drivers school at CMP (which is not an overly expensive track). Price variation is due to such things as number of instructors required, insurance fees, track car charges, etc.

I've posted this so there's accurate explanation of the reason to cancel. All involved in organizing it sincerely wish we could have allowed it to continue, but it would have been financial jeopardy for CCR to do so.

By the way, regarding GCR's. Topeka should now send one out with every completed Novice permit application. We would not have taken any action if they were not available and you didn't have one, due to the event being so early in the year.

Regards,
Martin Bartlett.
CCR Regional Executive.

flaboy
01-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Savanaha here we come!!

RussMcB
01-07-2006, 01:23 AM
Hmm. I wonder if the Roebling school is going to be crowded? I guess as long as they have enough instructors it will be okay.

As an old SCCA driver and based on various experiences over the years, I hope the following things are stressed in all drivers schools:

1. When being passed, do not alter your normal racing line. I know this is sometimes controversial, but the chances are much greater that an accident will happen if a passee doesn't take a normal line through a corner. The experienced passer, if he's lucky with the timing, has planned the corner to come out at maximum speed, which means timing the pass to happen coming out of the corner on the INSIDE, possibly within inches and on the edge of adhesion. If a passee does not take the normal corner exit, it could be a bad surprise for the passer.

I hope I don't ruffle any feathers with that opinion, but I will probably go to my grave believing it is the best advice.

2. Starts are when many crashes occur, especially when people at the front are playing games. If you're fortunate to be at the front of the pack, try very hard not to find yourself needing to get off the gas before the green is thrown. You may get away with it, but somebody behind you will likely suffer. You know - that accordian effect.

3. When a yellow, red or black flag comes out, do not abruptly slow or stop. There is a good chance that you've noticed a flag before someone else. It happens a lot, probably because people are involved in a battle and focusing on the front bumper ahead. When you need to come to a stop or slow for an incident, DO NOT suddenly slow up. Simply ease off and make sure you are in total control of the car. In a red flag situation (or black flag), the GCR does not say to come to a complete stop in the shortest possible distance, for obvious reasons.

4. In a full course yellow, don't dilly dally. If you hold up cars behind you they are going to be pretty upset.

Those are the biggies that come to mind. There's plenty more I'd like to share with young whipper snappers, but I'm sure they're saying, "Yeah, right, Grandpa. Next tell us about your riding mechanic and your old Morman Wasp race car. :-).

Those of you going to the school, enjoy the experience. You'll look back on it for many years, hopefully with good memories and advice from good instructors.