PDA

View Full Version : Equipment list

Mattberg
12-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Ok. One more year of SSC and I'm done. I'm starting to buy ITA stuff. Couple of questions and hopefully the start of a detailed discussion:

1. Quaife v. LSD
2. Best Header/exhaust
3. Wheels
4. IT required items
5. Best $$ per HP items - engine
6. Weight reduction
7. Final drives
8. Suspension
9. ECU/Electronics
10. Other

joeg
12-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Weight reduction is EZ--gut the interior per ITCS. Take sidebars into Pass door too.

Wheels--Should be more choices than OEM Chrysler.

Coil-overs

I'm sure stress bars will help.

Others will chime in. Afterall, this is a popular youth/tuner car.

Kill switch needed for IT.

Speed Raycer
12-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Are you able to be competitive still in SSC???? If not... why not go ahead and make the leap to ITA?

Mattberg
12-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Speed Raycer@Dec 2 2005, 01:24 AM
Are you able to be competitive still in SSC???? If not... why not go ahead and make the leap to ITA?

Not a bad question.... Just not that prepared.

Speed Raycer
12-02-2005, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Mattberg@Dec 1 2005, 08:33 PM
Not a bad question.... Just not that prepared.

So make the jump to ITA and make the additions as you go! Unless you're still competitive in SSC, I'd make the leap. My brother's running basically an SSC prep Neon in ITA (interior gutted and that's it) and was running mid pack at the last race.

If it were me, I'd get it prepped as much as you can go and get yourself a benchmark lap time and then start tweaking.

Mattberg
12-02-2005, 06:39 AM
Actually it comes down to money. Being competitive in SSC brings in some decent contingengy dollars from Dodge and other sponsors for Nationals that I probably couldn't get in ITA, at least not right away. Might as well do it for the remainder of its SSC life while planning for a more complete ITA build. So I'll probably finish out this season and then do a complete conversion for 2007. With no aspirations or desire to go to Topeka I was actually thinking about just doing the Florida Nationals and bring her out in ITA trim for the Turkey Trot 2006! What better race to find out whether you did it right or not? :D So guys, just tell me what to buy! I've got a lot of shopping to do before Thanksgiving! :happy204:

GO FLORIDA! :023:

mcgyverit
12-02-2005, 01:10 PM
some other IT stuff to be prepared for:

Tow Hooks/Straps front & rear

Disable the ignition/Steering Wheel lock. Takes a security Torx bit to remove the cover to get to the locking pin

There is a good write up on the Power Cutoff switch on the SpecNeon website. Just make sure you use quality connections and solder them.

There was a few headers mentioned on an earlier post, Pace Setter, TTi, Megan Racking, Kirk Racing and I am sure there are more.

Use hood pins instead of the hood latching mechanism, save a little weight maybe

Matt Ferratusco
12-03-2005, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Mattberg@Dec 2 2005, 05:39 AM
Might as well do it for the remainder of its SSC life while planning for a more complete ITA build. So I'll probably finish out this season and then do a complete conversion for 2007.

That's a good idea. If you're going to do it, do it right. I could've run the Turkey Trot last weekend but the car has no ITA mods yet. It's gutted, but otherwise still in SSC form. There was no reason to race an uncompetitive car in a 25-car field. But that's JMHO...I race to win. I spent enough years driving uncompetitive equipment that I won't run if the car won't be competitive. Racing is more than just a hobby for me, so in the long run it doesn't help my career to race mid-pack or worse. Maybe we'll race together at Moroso! :)

I bought an intake from Iceman. That was 30 days ago, and I still haven't received it. I sent an email to their sales/cust. svc. dept 2 weeks ago, no response. I called them Tuesday, they said they have to call their warehouse and would call me back. Never did. Called again Wednesday, same response, still no call back. I can't comment on their product, but if it's as good as their service, it's a waste of money.

Mopar has a PCM that increases hp & torque and raises the rpm limit to 7800. Anyone know if this satisfies IT rules (fits in stock housing, retains stock wiring harness, etc.)?

My car doesn't have an LSD, but Bill Bartlett drove it to numerous wins in the Neon Challenge, so I'm not too concerned about that. :D

Rabbit07
12-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Matt Ferratusco@Dec 3 2005, 06:27 AM
That's a good idea. If you're going to do it, do it right. I could've run the Turkey Trot last weekend but the car has no ITA mods yet. It's gutted, but otherwise still in SSC form. There was no reason to race an uncompetitive car in a 25-car field. But that's JMHO...I race to win. I spent enough years driving uncompetitive equipment that I won't run if the car won't be competitive. Racing is more than just a hobby for me, so in the long run it doesn't help my career to race mid-pack or worse. Maybe we'll race together at Moroso! :)

I bought an intake from Iceman. That was 30 days ago, and I still haven't received it. I sent an email to their sales/cust. svc. dept 2 weeks ago, no response. I called them Tuesday, they said they have to call their warehouse and would call me back. Never did. Called again Wednesday, same response, still no call back. I can't comment on their product, but if it's as good as their service, it's a waste of money.

Mopar has a PCM that increases hp & torque and raises the rpm limit to 7800. Anyone know if this satisfies IT rules (fits in stock housing, retains stock wiring harness, etc.)?

My car doesn't have an LSD, but Bill Bartlett drove it to numerous wins in the Neon Challenge, so I'm not too concerned about that. :D

The Iceman is a nice piece, The concern I have for it is that it requires changing the Battery tray. That in some eyes is not IT legal!

The PCM is just a different Cal in the same housing, plug and play. Very IT Legal.

The Diff makes quite a difference for those corners when you are down in 2nd. With the diff there is little or no wheel spin, without it you have to modulate the trottle.

The other nice upgrade for IT is the better rear Stab bar brackets.

Keep in mind that with all of these items you still have to drive like a crazy person to finish on the podium if a CRX or Integra shows up!

Matt Ferratusco
12-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit07@Dec 3 2005, 04:56 PM
The Iceman is a nice piece, The concern I have for it is that it requires changing the Battery tray. That in some eyes is not IT legal!

:angry: So nice of them to mention this on their website.

Thanks for the info. It's great to have this forum with helpful people.

Rabbit07
12-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Not that it helps much, but the Battery tray is part of their kit. Atleast you don't have to order another piece.