PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel adapter

Mattberg
11-30-2005, 04:12 PM
Anyone have a vendor for a steering wheel adaptor for the neon?

Greg Amy
11-30-2005, 04:36 PM
I'd give Louis Boustiani a shot. If it's available, he can probably get it for you.

http://www.ltbmotorsports.com

Racerlinn
11-30-2005, 05:30 PM
I got mine from Louis - good guy to support.

Mattberg
11-30-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by GregAmy@Nov 30 2005, 08:36 PM
I'd give Louis Boustiani a shot. If it's available, he can probably get it for you.

http://www.ltbmotorsports.com

Thanks Greg. Just ordered it. :023:

m glassburner
12-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Summit has a quick release for dodges...p# sum-g7852...70$ when I bought mine.

Mattberg
12-01-2005, 11:32 AM
I thought about that but I really don't have a lot of need for it and I've noticed that without spending the $250+ for a really good quick release, they always seem to have lots of slop. How did the one you get from Summitt work out?

m glassburner
12-01-2005, 11:49 AM
It has some "slop" in it , but has worked fine for 5 years now. :D

Mattberg
12-01-2005, 02:33 PM
You guys are awesome. I love having our own section! :happy204:

Mattberg
12-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Not terribly happy. :angry:

Luckily I just happen to have a lathe and a drill press. Not exactly an easy job. :angry: If you want to get one I can make it turnkey for you. Let me know. Learn from my mistakes! :023:

m glassburner
12-13-2005, 02:19 PM
You need to elaborate a little... :unsure:

Mattberg
12-13-2005, 06:52 PM
First there are no directions which like most of us I rarely read so no big deal. So, everything set up nicely and I started the installation. Got it all done and cranked it down. Uh oh. Wheel no move good. :angry: Make bad noise. :blink:

Now I can't get the thing off. The puller starts bending the adapter frame. Heat wrench doesn't do a thing. Big hammer theory utterly defeated. Finally concocted a custom puller from various other tools, bolts and other stuff and it comes off bent up pretty badly. That goes in the press and gets straightened out.

Ok. We determine the cosmetic outside collar is binding on the backplate of the column. Put it on the lathe and take down close to .5" of the outside of the adapter collar. Put it all back together and the bolt pattern is wrong. Back to the shop to drill out a few new holes in the adapter frame which is very narrow and a little flimsy.

Five hours later I have a new steering wheel. Worth every second. What a difference. Still pissed though. :D

So anyway. It is a nice peice but if you use one make sure you have 1) a six bolt only steering wheel. 2) take off around a quarter to half an inch of the column cover or outside rim of the unit. It's cosmetic only so you really don't need a lathe. You could probably just grind it down. 3) Once it's on it's on for good because there's not much material strong enough to use a puller without a lot of fiddling around and effort. So make sure you drive it and it's STRAIGHT before you crank it down. Oh yea, when you test drive it, good idea to at least hand tighten the bolt so the wheel doesn't come off gong down the road. Learned that one. :D

Mattberg
12-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Actually if you're thinking about doing this I have another improvement which is to notch that same collar so you don't have to rip out the electrical connecter and you can keep your horn! The lathe does a nice clean job. Just send it to me and I'd be more than happy to do it for you. Easy job...now. :happy204:

m glassburner
12-14-2005, 04:20 AM
All that for a steering wheel adapter.. :blink:

Mattberg
12-14-2005, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by m glassburner@Dec 14 2005, 08:20 AM
All that for a steering wheel adapter.. :blink:

HAHAHA. Yup. Worth it too. What a difference! :happy204: My vision is 100% better and clearance is considerably improved. I'm 6'4" so my legs and the wheel are almost always a problem. Sometimes I think driver comfort and confidance are worth at least a couple of HP! :D

With the mods on the adapter and knowing what to do beforehand it's a ten minute job! My mistakes are your gain. :023: Highly recommended!

Matt Ferratusco
12-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Mattberg@Dec 14 2005, 03:47 AM
Sometimes I think driver comfort and confidance are worth at least a couple of HP! :D

I'll drink to that. Comfort has a direct affect on your performance. The cheapo seat in my Neon has extra long side supports that force me to drive with my elbows out. However my left arm would be sandwiched between the window net and seat, waiting to be crushed to bits and pieces in a side impact. So I chose to tuck my left elbow inside the seat support even though I couldn't put it on my side. My right arm was turned out over the seat. Pretty hard to drive a car that way, especially when you're fighting a really loose car that gets about 45* sideways in turn 1 at Daytona! After my last race, a dremmel and a reciprocating saw took care of that problem! :D

Rabbit07
12-20-2005, 08:44 AM
I am lost as to why you had to go through so much trouble to mount a steering wheel. We build plenty of Neon Race cars at work and have never had that kind of trouble? We use a release made buy Shroerder, but we have also used the Grant from Summit Racing.

m glassburner
12-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Where can I get the one from shroerder ? Does it have a centering spline ? Concerning the unique size of the dodges does it require a adapter ? thanx ... :023:

Mattberg
12-20-2005, 08:21 PM
I used the MOMO. Nice solid peice but it needs some prep work. ;)

Rabbit07
12-20-2005, 09:31 PM
Send me an email at [email protected]. I'll find the source of the schroeder piece. There is no master spline on them. The Dodge is not that uncommon of a part, no adaptor needed.

Rabbit07
12-21-2005, 10:13 PM
Viper Race Headquarters is where the schroeder piece can be had. Sorry I don't have the contact info handy. It is a division of Everham.

sstecker
05-04-2006, 03:36 PM
Viper Race Headquarters is where the schroeder piece can be had. Sorry I don't have the contact info handy. It is a division of Everham.
[/b]

http://www.schroedersteering.com/HubPage.html

fitting my seat and found out i need a removable steering wheel.
is there any slop with the schroeders? you recomend positive lock or push on style?

thanks
shawn

Rabbit07
05-05-2006, 02:39 PM
There is a bit of slop, not much though. I am not sure what you mean by push on or positive lock?

sstecker
05-07-2006, 07:06 PM
There is a bit of slop, not much though. I am not sure what you mean by push on or positive lock?
[/b]
yeah im not sure what they mean either :) will be calling them soon to find out.

ShelbyRacer
05-10-2006, 09:58 AM
[/b]

I *believe* that push-on has a spring loaded collar, while positive lock requires you to push it and lock it when you put it on.