PDA

View Full Version : Changes at Mid-Ohio

RacerBill
11-30-2005, 10:16 AM
A friend of mine forwarded a press release from Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course that he found on a motorcycle web site. The article claims that TrueSports will be resurfacing and upgrading all of the road course and pits (concrete patches will be gone!), expanding some gravel traps, replacing the remaining old-style catch fence, upgrading subgrade and drainage, and adding additional track to allow for multiple road course configurations.

I have not been able to confirm this press release (dtd 11/28/05) either on the Mid-Ohio website, Speed website, or Columbus Dispatch website.

Has anyone else heard this rumor?

R2 Racing
11-30-2005, 10:41 AM
I will divulge my insider information once and for all!

One of my best friends works as an inspector for a local concrete contractor here in Columbus. About two weeks ago he says to me "What do you know about track resurfacing at Mid Ohio?" I said "I don't know anything about it, why?" He goes on to tell me that his company just got awarded the contract for a bunch of work up there that I guess includes a full repaving.

I know no more, no less. Very interesting though as I personally didn't really think it needed it. But I'll take it!

RacerBill
11-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by R2 Racing@Nov 30 2005, 10:41 AM
I will divulge my insider information once and for all!

One of my best friends works as an inspector for a local concrete contractor here in Columbus. About two weeks ago he says to me "What do you know about track resurfacing at Mid Ohio?" I said "I don't know anything about it, why?" He goes on to tell me that his company just got awarded the contract for a bunch of work up there that I guess includes a full repaving.

I know no more, no less. Very interesting though as I personally didn't really think it needed it. But I'll take it!

The press release talks about the work being done to formulate the asphalt mix. So, we may see asphalt over concrete, similar to today's roads. Also, they are going to standardize all the curbing.

I wonder if TrueSports factored in the cost of reshooting all the footage for their track video and rewriting their drivers' school books after all the concrete patches are gone?

The original press release was posted on 11/28/05 on www(dot)roadracingworld(dot)com.

R2 Racing
11-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Yea, I wonder how much it's going to change a couple of corners - mainly turn 1. I also wonder what it's going to do to the lap times. Hopefully it doesn't slow down and we'll have to have BR and AR track records (before and after repave).

RacerBill
02-10-2006, 09:36 PM
A new flyer from Mid-Ohio arrived today. The track map now shows two cutoffs between turns one and four. The first cutoff turns right at the exit of turn one and runs back onto the back straight just upstream from the back straight kink. The second cutout is just south of the first cutoff, again turns right and rejoins the track between turns one and two.

The first cutoff cuts out the entire keyhole section, connecting turn one with the back straight kink.

The second cutoff creates kind of a two configuration oval (with or without the turn two-three kink).

Makes perfect sense for conducting schools - gets the students through a series of corners more times on the same amount of time.

Can't wait to see the rest of the track!

I just hope that they do something about the starter's stand. There is a pillar right at the corner where the starter stands. Tends to get in the way when you are trying to display double yellows, surface, white and checker flags all at the same time.

Dave Burchfield
02-14-2006, 09:25 AM
It was my understanding that the resurfacing project has been planned for some time, and was held off until the last Runoffs. The project is being done to make the track safer for the motorcycle races, which is now the largest spectator event there. The new additions allow for a "short track" using the keyhole. There is also a full scale motocross track being built as well.

Word on the street is that there is a possibility of a GP event there in the near future.

Who knows?

R2 Racing
02-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Word on the street is that there is a possibility of a GP event there in the near future.[/b]

Don't tease me, Dave! Oh man, that would be so freaking cool!

I'm anxious to see the new and improved Mid Ohio and really wondering what it'll do to lap times.

Dave Burchfield
02-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Well Kevin...................

The word is that Michelle was agressively pursuing a 3rd bike event to go along with the other 2 events she now has. Think about it......"Bike Month" at the premier motorcycle racing venue in the country with a week of testing and 3 weeks of racing. Sounds like the tab for the upgrades would be covered in short order.

I have worked the bike races in past years and would say that the attendance at those events far outnumbers the Runoffs.

Leaving Key West in a week or so to make my way back home........kind of sad in a way, but we have had some great fishing and diving days recently. Reality sets in........I hope you enjoy your trip down.

R2 Racing
02-16-2006, 12:52 PM
The word is that Michelle was agressively pursuing a 3rd bike event to go along with the other 2 events she now has. Think about it......"Bike Month" at the premier motorcycle racing venue in the country with a week of testing and 3 weeks of racing. Sounds like the tab for the upgrades would be covered in short order.[/b]
Hmm, sounds good, but could it actually happen? I know that Mid Ohio is a tremendous facility (especially for the bikes), but could they have the allure to attract MotoGP to a cornfield in the middle of Ohio. I hope so! Nicky would own The Doctor at Mid Ohio. ;)

Leaving Key West in a week or so to make my way back home........kind of sad in a way, but we have had some great fishing and diving days recently. Reality sets in........I hope you enjoy your trip down.
[/b]
I leave in 23 days, but who's counting? :happy204:

RacerBill
03-23-2006, 10:59 AM
OK, here goes. Just got some aerial photos of the new cutoffs between turns one and four at Mid-Ohio.

Well, they seem to be added as attachments. Let's see if I can imbed one in the message. Nope, pasting from the clipboard doesn't work.

Oh, well. If there is someone who would like to post them, I'm sure folks will appreciate.

The first cutout connects turn one with turn four, cutting out the keyhole.

[attachmentid=355]

The second cutout connects the exit of turn three with the entrance to the kink before the keyhole (turn two).

[attachmentid=356]

You can also see some of the new curbing.

The cutouts will probably be used for the schools in order to give the students more laps per hour by shortening the track. We will have to see how they are landscaped. I kind of cringe at transitions from grass to pavement to grass, expecially while spinning.

BTW, i received the photos via Randy Holton, one of the OVR Starters.

Wow, just previewed the post. Pictures look great.

R2 Racing
03-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Changes at Mid Ohio, it's kind of freaking me out. But still, I can't wait.

FYI, Mid Ohio has been keeping any photos of the changes pretty hush-hush.

RacerBill
03-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Kevin: As you can see, these pictures were taken from a super sophisticated private spy satellite deep in space! :D :D :D

C. Ludwig
03-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Great! They've decided to finally pave my track out point off turn 1. :D

R2 Racing
03-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Kevin: As you can see, these pictures were taken from a super sophisticated private spy satellite deep in space! :D :D :D
[/b]
Ahh yes, the new FCXAAV24III-G9BX deep space spy satellite. Wait....how do you know about that?

Originally posted by 'C. Ludwig'
Great! They've decided to finally pave my track out point off turn 1.
Funniest thing I've read all day. :lol: