PDA

View Full Version : Shock Advice

DENNISC020
11-25-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm looking to replace the shocks/struts on my 82 scirocco and was wondering if adjustable or non-adjustable would be better. This my first road race car(ITB) and I want to keep it as simple as possible. Looking at Bilstein's coil-overs from Bildon-who makes good adjustables ?

dj10
11-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by DENNISC020@Nov 25 2005, 09:13 AM
I'm looking to replace the shocks/struts on my 82 scirocco and was wondering if adjustable or non-adjustable would be better. This my first road race car(ITB) and I want to keep it as simple as possible. Looking at Bilstein's coil-overs from Bildon-who makes good adjustables ?

Can't Bildon get you adjustables? Did you ask them?

DENNISC020
11-25-2005, 10:51 AM
I'm sure he can - was looking for fellow racers opinions - advice - experience

JamesB
11-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Well most important should be a good spring setup, the shocks should just be valved to handle the spring rates. If you want adjustable you can get a Koni's, I ran my ITB car at the school with what I bought it with (bilstien sport fronts, boge rears) But I think one of the boge went soft on the second day. I am swaping them out for bilstien race (non adjustable.) I have had adjustable valving in solo2 and it eventually came to a set it and forget it system. So at this point unless im running nationals and need ever last spec of speed, I don't see the need to spend the extra money.

dj10
11-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by DENNISC020@Nov 25 2005, 09:51 AM
I'm sure he can - was looking for fellow racers opinions - advice - experience

I know Bill @ Bildon, he can be your best source since he races and develops VW's. He wouldn't want to hurt his reputation by giving you bad advice.
dj

racer_tim
11-25-2005, 07:58 PM
Also check out Ground Control

Here is a link to the VW section

http://www.ground-control-store.com/produc...egory.php/CA=88 (http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/category.php/CA=88)

I use their coil over kit, and the camber plates.

I already had a set of Bilstein sports, so I just shipped the shocks/struts to him, and they built evertyhing else.

I installed the camber plate BELOW the existing perch, so I needed to go with 6" front springs instead of the 7" units, but It was a complete bolt in process. Just drilled a couple of more holes.

Very good quality stuff.

OTLimit
11-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Ground Control/Advance Design

No discussion needed.

lateapex911
11-28-2005, 02:01 AM
Keep in mind that everyone I know who has the AD units needs to recharge them daily, and if they are not accesible in the bottom of a strut, that can be a major PITA....

Also, they are verrrrrrrrrry slow to ship these days, from all accounts.

OTLimit
11-28-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911@Nov 28 2005, 12:01 AM
Keep in mind that everyone I know who has the AD units needs to recharge them daily, and if they are not accesible in the bottom of a strut, that can be a major PITA....

I know for sure that Chris is NOT having to do this (can you imagine as many races as he does and having to do this kind of maintenance? Not him).

They are busy because they are good. And if you ever have a problem, Jay wants to know about it.

EDIT from Chris: I can't answer for the shipping, but even with the extreme number of races that I do in a year, they typically go back to Jay once a year whether they need it or not. I probably put more miles on them in a year then most anyone else.

RSTPerformance
11-28-2005, 03:47 PM
We run Adjustable Koni's in the Audi's... They take a lot of beating due to the way the suspension is set up and the weight that is on the front wheels (about 850lbs per front corner). The alighnment is also completely supported by the side load of the strut... we have had some teathing (learning) with the suspension, however I can not thank Koni Racing enough for the amount of help they have given us to help us design the best suspension available for an IT Audi Coupe.

If you have any questions or would like some contact information PM me.

Raymond

JLawton
11-28-2005, 08:17 PM
I would recommend talking to one of the VW guys, Bilden or Shine and ask their advice.

philstireservice
11-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911@Nov 28 2005, 02:01 AM

I run the AD on my Integra.......I check and fill them in the morning before every session....then they good to go all day. Also it's important to do after trailering the car to the track.......they have performed very well this year !!!

Knestis
11-29-2005, 06:56 PM
We've had great luck with KONI "yellows" revalved to handle higher spring rates. We just sent them back for a check-up following the Rally TN roll but they have proven to be very versatile.

K

Bildon
12-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by DENNISC020@Nov 25 2005, 10:13 AM
I'm ...wondering if adjustable or non-adjustable would be better. This my first road race car(ITB) and I want to keep it as simple as possible.

Well since nobody answered the poor fellas actual question I'll give it a try...

Dennis. Since you want to keep things simple, I'd go with a Monotube design that has a history of indestuctability. While adjustables are a better option for somebody with the Data Aq. tools and crew to understand, test and change at events... most people, as was mentioned, wind up setting their adjustables once they feel comfortable and leave them there. Most drivers actually have a hard time deciphering changes in damping as they relate to other vehicle behaviours.

Speak with any of the well respected tuners mentioned here and you will get a basic setup that will be competitive in most all of your on track situations.

Once you've mastered driving your race car 100% of the time at it's limit and have enough brain power left over to notice the minutia of suspension changes, then and only then its it time to think about adjustables. Go get 'em :023: