PDA

View Full Version : Video at headrestraint.org

Knestis
11-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Very enlightening video of Renee Hines' hit at the ARRC enduro, courtesy of Scott Giles.

http://www.headrestraint.org/stories/hines.php

Make note of how much we move when we hit something. This is a great example of why the off-side head restrant web is gaining popularity.

If you have stories, images, or video to share, don't hesitate to let me know...

kirk.knestis(at)headrestraint.org

K

Bill Miller
11-25-2005, 09:16 AM
That was a nasty crash, to say the least! Good point about the movement Kirk, the camera doesn't lie.

On a completely different note, I'm surprised that, with the concrete that close to the track, there are not tires or some other energy-absoring structure there.

Also, hats off to the other drivers that avoided Renee, she could have very easily gotten tagged as she crossed the track. Anybody have video from a car following her?

And most importantly, glad she's ok. Get those H&N restraint devices and use them. I've got my Issac, and won't get into a car w/o it. Hope I never have to put it to the test.

dave parker
11-25-2005, 05:21 PM
I am very glad that Renee' was ok. That was quite an impact.

Hopefully the driver of the blue civic who nearly got collected has made the appropriate sacrifice to the "racing gods".

Now for the "big" question, why was the miata slowing for no apparent reason?

cheers
"dangerous" dave parker

Knestis
11-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Explanation (from honda-tech.com) suggested that the Mazda had some radical suspention alignment issues that caused it to be a big mess in fast corners. Scott was pretty PO'd that the team knew it was a problem and put it out there to soldier on anyway. That was the first time Renee had seen the car, having just swapped into the car.

K

gsbaker
11-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Bill Miller@Nov 25 2005, 09:16 AM
That was a nasty crash, to say the least! Good point about the movement Kirk, the camera doesn't lie...
We continue to be impressed by how rapidly these events occur, whether on track or in the crash lab. The lateral head motion is visible in a total of two frames. At a rate of 30 frames per second that's 0.067 seconds. Even if you add a frame for motion not visible before or after, you are still at ~ 1/10 second start to finish--just like in the lab.

philstireservice
11-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Wow !! That was a nasty jolt.......sheesh !!! ...Never know when this sort of thing is going to happen in a race or a track event.....

GET THOSE H&N RESTRAINTS FOLKS !!!!!

Catch22
11-27-2005, 10:19 PM
The Miata was not very good, but as seen in the entire video he insisted on drag racing the two ITC cars down every straight, then holding them up in the corners.

Renee had been hung up behind the guy for the entire lap (her normal lap times are a 1:53 and that lap was a 2:00) and was getting pretty pissed (if you listen closely you can hear her cursing in turn 10a). She was attempting to make a run down 12 and pass him in 1, but he tossed out the anchor going into 12 and caught her completely off guard.
She had to check up and adjust right to keep from hitting the Miata, when she did that Ed Ho (the blue Civic) hit her in the right rear and turned her straight into the wall. If you listen closely, Renee was driving that thing all the way up to the hit, staying in the gas with the wheel cranked full left. In the end, she just hit harder as a result.

We were pretty pissed at the Miata team after the race. Its one thing to struggle through a handling problem, but dammit... Don't be holding faster cars up all over the track. This is the kind of stuff that happens.
We tried to point that out to them, but they would hear nothing of it. I like to call people like that "asshole." But thats just me.

We are huge fans of the Isaac. If Gregg ever wants to do a commercial, Renee will gladly take part in it.
When she watched the tape in slo-mo she couldn't believe her head had moved that much. She had NO pain at all in her neck, and only minor soreness from the shoulder harness.

Anyway, that crash shows how fast things can go totally wrong. One second she was perfectly on line and setting up a pass, the next she was a helpless passenger crashing into a wall. For those who think they don't need an H/N device because they are careful and never crash... There you have it.

The wreck has been sold (its basically a parts car now) and we're done racing for a while. Unless of course a money tree sprouts in the back yard or Honda sends us that big check we've been waiting on.

Things change fast.