PDA

View Full Version : Summer Sprints?

zracre
11-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Ok guys if we are going to do this lets try to drag more people into it...I'd love to try Mid O and what better opportunity? great idea Kevin! It would be nice to get some people there to promote and sponsor with contingecies etc...If it is planned early enough no one will be able to say they couldn't plan for it. Maybe each year it could rotate to a different division...the Glen, Laguna, Road America, Daytona etc...any thoughts?? there is already a race there....

R2 Racing
11-22-2005, 03:45 PM
I just wrote this in the ITA thread where we started talking about it but I'll move it over here now.

It would just take you guys to make the trip to make it a reality. I don't think we'd be able to organize an official "regional only" event like the ARRC at this time though. But for all of you guys who want to do Mid Ohio anyway, lets pick one of our regional weekends now for next summer and we'll put on a hell of a show!

Here's what the SCCA regionals should be next year - these all include a Saturday and a Sunday race:
July 1-2 - Cincy Region "Freedom Double"
July 29-30 - Fort Wayne Region "Brat Bash Double"
August 5-6 - Western Ohio Region "WOR Games Double"
September 9-10 - Ohio Valley Region "Autumn Classic Double". This is my home region and the one I could easily have the most influence in to set anything special up. We just lost the status of being "the last chance to race/practice at Mid Ohio before the Runoffs" so I'd be expecting the numbers to drop a little and willingness to do something for us to increase.

We're also going to have three Honda-Challenge weekends their next year as well as the NASA National Championships September 22-24. NASA also occasionally hold Friday test days before the SCCA weekends but I don't know which ones at this time.

charrbq
11-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Well, I'm not really up to doing the NASA races in my old Honda, but I wouldn't mind a full scale assault on Mid Ohio. I went there only once to crew in '94 and really thought it was an excellent course. It has plenty of opportunities to get you in trouble and no horsepower straights like Atlanta or Road America. The only disadvantage we found was the surprising lack of close motels. But Road Atlanta used to be that way, too. :D

Gregg
11-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by R2 Racing@Nov 22 2005, 03:45 PM
Here's what the SCCA regionals should be next year - these all include a Saturday and a Sunday race:
September 9-10 - Ohio Valley Region "Autumn Classic Double".
I think we're gonna have to see how the schedules shake out 'cause I've heard that WOR Games ended up getting scheduled opposite the Runoffs. We (WDCR) were supposed to run the event as one of our out-of-region MARRS events but this major conflict (tons of our workers & drivers plan on making the pilgrimage to Topeka) nixed that.

That said, if I can fit it into my schedule and budget I might be willing to come on out there. I am a glutton for punishment, if nothing else.

RacerBill
11-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by R2 Racing@Nov 22 2005, 03:45 PM
I just wrote this in the ITA thread where we started talking about it but I'll move it over here now.

It would just take you guys to make the trip to make it a reality. I don't think we'd be able to organize an official "regional only" event like the ARRC at this time though. But for all of you guys who want to do Mid Ohio anyway, lets pick one of our regional weekends now for next summer and we'll put on a hell of a show!

September 9-10 - Ohio Valley Region "Autumn Classic Double". This is my home region and the one I could easily have the most influence in to set anything special up. We just lost the status of being "the last chance to race/practice at Mid Ohio before the Runoffs" so I'd be expecting the numbers to drop a little and willingness to do something for us to increase.

We're also going to have three Honda-Challenge weekends their next year as well as the NASA National Championships September 22-24. NASA also occasionally hold Friday test days before the SCCA weekends but I don't know which ones at this time.

NASA dates at Mid-Ohio 2006 (from the NASA website)

4/21-23
7/7-9
8/11-13
9/11-17

R2 Racing
11-22-2005, 08:01 PM
Bill - thanks for putting up the NASA dates but I'd ideally like to do this on a SCCA regional weekend - that way we can all race together in our IT playgrounds. NASA would split us up into Honda Challenge, GTS, PS, etc. As I said though, NASA does occasionally hold open test days on Fridays prior to SCCA weekends. I may be a little while until we'll know when/if they'll be doing that in '06 though. I'd imagine that most who would come to this and have never done Mid Ohio before would like for it to be on a weekend with a Friday test day too. I'll try to ask around and see what I can find.

Gregg - Hopefully we'll have a good idea of the CenDiv schedule here shortly. Last year the first release of the '05 schedule was November 28th so it could be sometime soon. After that only three little changes were made; the last being on February 12th. I haven't heard of any major changes from the '05 schedule but we'll have to wait and see.

Chris - if it was a SCCA weekend, would you bring your ITC car? The CenDiv alone can put together a pretty impressive ITC field at Mid Ohio if everyone shows up.

Ideally, I'm just looking for ideas from anyone and everyone right now. Interested? Not interested? Thoughts? Stupid idea? What would it take for you to come? Anything. Personally, I have about 5 months off from racing right now with nothing to do but look at the snow. So needless to say, I'm very willing to entertain anything and very serious in working to put something together if the desire is there.

charrbq
11-22-2005, 08:19 PM
Kevin,
As with all racing and working shift work, attending a race is reliant on time off. As it is, my closest track is 6 hrs away, and most are 11 to 14 hrs. However, that said, if they put on a good event, have a good group, and some people made it into a bit of an IT event, I'd be there. My last trip to Mid-Ohio took two of us 18 hrs dead head from Baton Rouge, and we weren't towing. Add three to that for a trailer and 11 years of worn out bones.
I supposed that what I'm saying is that I'd do my damnest to make a special event at Mid Ohio. Someday, I hope to do the same at Road America. I've got family up there. :happy204:

Hracer
11-22-2005, 08:37 PM
For a long time I wanted to run Mid Ohio, but unfortunately never had the means. We've been doing honda challenge races for some time and if that nasa championship is a success next year, it could be something we'll do in '07. But as of this point, we're shooting to make it back to VIR next year as one of our longest trips. It's been four years and I’ve been missing it a LOT. Maybe even a race down in florida, we'll have to see.

I’ll definitely be reading with interest to see what comes out of this.

zracre
11-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Im sure Mid Ohio has a few new weekends to fill...what could be better??

Racerlinn
11-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Updated tenative CenDiv Regional schedule at M-O:

July 15-16 - Fort Wayne Region "Brat Bash Double"
September 9-10 - Ohio Valley Region "Autumn Classic Double".
October 7-8 - Western Ohio Region "WOR Games Double"

I am pretty sure that any one of these Regions would be extremely receptive to an organized influx of IT cars for their event. The obvious concern is that with the Runoffs at Topeka, car counts will be down this year. But the cost of the track remains the same, altough I have had heard reports from this past season that the track was more hospitable and did not charge for some services that they normally would. Whether that will continue now that the track has partnered with NASA, who knows. It's an expensive joint to rent (in the range of twice the amount paid at other less scenic venues).

R2 Racing
11-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Steve, where did you find those dates at? I can't believe that thay'd move the WOR Games back to October again. :blink:

But just as you said, the participation numbers at Mid Ohio regionals could be down a little bit next year with no National guys running the events for Runoffs practice and SM going National. I have already been talking with the current OVR race chairs about becoming more involved and they'd really like me to. So I'm sure I could try putting something together for that weekend from the "inside" the most. However, I'd be willing to contact whoever needed to be for the other weekends if it were to be done on one of those.

Do any NEDiv guys have input on this?

Racerlinn
11-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Kevin, that's from the latest edition of the CenDiv planning schedule that circulates between the RE's and Race Chairs (I've been drafted back into service in 2006 as the Indy RE again).
But, with all the changes occuring with M-O, this is still a tentative schedule, not set in stone. WOR had no choice, that was the only date offered to them by the track and they did not want to move the event to a different, less scenic track (where it was held for many years) that you have raced at.

dickita15
11-23-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by R2 Racing@Nov 23 2005, 02:07 PM

I would love to try MO and a the idea of a big IT turnout would make it pretty attractive. the dates above are full of conflicts however.
july 1-2 could work and if i was really sick I could do lime rock on the 4th on the way home.

july 15- 16 is against summit and more importent to me between nhis and the glen.

sept 9-10 is against nhis and between summit and the glen

october never seems to work out as I am usually broke and tired.

does the track tend to have friday test days before scca weekends.

moto62
11-23-2005, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by R2 Racing@Nov 23 2005, 02:07 PM

Pick a date and I'll be there as I am no longer involved in any points or championship races. I just want to have fun. This would be a great idea and an opportunity to visit a new track. Hook it up man! :happy204:

R2 Racing
11-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Dick - NASA occasionally holds Friday Test Days prior to SCCA weekends but it is too early to tell when they're going to have those next year. I will make some phone calls and see what I can find out.

Ray - would you be able to ask around to Anthony, Jason, Richard, etc to see if they're interested?

I think right now we can all agree that ideally we'd want a weekend with a Friday test day. I'll see if I can find out about that and we can try and decide on a weekend. Does the fact that the July 1-2 event is right before Independence Day matter to you guys? For better or worse? I suppose I'd lean towards that weekend purely because it's the furthest from the ARRC. If not that, than the OVR September 9-10 since I could have a lot of pull there.

moto62
11-25-2005, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by R2 Racing@Nov 24 2005, 11:30 AM
Ray - would you be able to ask around to Anthony, Jason, Richard, etc to see if they're interested?

I'll ask Richie to haul us all out there and Anthony can bring a couple more cars in his oversized toter home.:D
Right now, it is 20*s outside and last night we had our first wisp of snow. Probably nobody thinking about racing right now but keep the drive alive. This is something to look forward to. :023:

R2 Racing
11-25-2005, 10:29 AM
It was 9 degrees on my way to work today (yea, I have to work today.). I have to be thinking and talking of racing when it gets this cold to keep my sanity.

dazzlesa
11-25-2005, 10:35 PM
i do not know if this is a better option. how about nelson ledges? its a bit closer than midohio. i did one school there and i would like to try it again.

zracre
11-26-2005, 12:16 AM
I like the Idea of following the runoffs to Mid O now that they are gone. Its a beautiful track. everyone I have talked to says it is a must run track...

R2 Racing
11-26-2005, 04:36 AM
Rick, for you, Mid Ohio is maybe another two hour drive past Nelson Ledges and a million times worth it. I'd say some more about my opinions on Nelson Ledges but it has got me in hot water in the past so I'll just leave it at that. Mid Ohio on the other hand is a top-notch, one of the best in the country facility.

Kevin, who had a car destroyed be Nelson Ledges

H5Civic
11-27-2005, 01:07 AM
Kevin, getting in on this a little late. I don't know that you'll see any Friday only HPDE days from NASA OH/IN in '06 since we were able to get three (3) full weekend events (all w/ Friday test days) as well as the NASA Nationals. I can check w/ Lawrence and see what he says, but our schedule is now listed as Final and it doesn't have any of these days on it.

As for as the WOR games being moved back to October, M-O moved the dates of their bike events for '06, w/ the Vintage Days being the last weekend in July (Brat Bash weekend in '05) and the Super Cycle weekend is the first weekend in August (WOR games weekend in '05). Add to that 2 additional NASA OH/IN weekends (1 in July, 1 in August), and October was the only weekend left available in '06.

I'd definitely be down for a big IT weekend at Mid Ohio on any of the dates discussed. I could probably get most of the H4 guys to come as well, though most of them already race in ITA anyways.

Keep this going and make it happen.

Sam, who loves the idea of having eight (8) race weekends at Mid Ohio in '06.

P.S. You can find the tentative '06 Cendiv & Nediv dates here: http://www.kryderacing.com/mvrweb/2006raceschedule.html

R2 Racing
11-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Sam, Lawrence and I exchanged a couple of emails already and it doesn't look like OH/IN NASA will be doing any Friday only test days for '06. So I'm sorry guys, but it looks like we'll be shit out of luck for getting a Friday test day at any of the SCCA events next year.

So I guess it's up to you guys if you'd be willing to make the trip or not without getting some Friday practice time. Once again, it's completely up to you guys as I'm willing to make whatever happen.

RacerBill
11-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by R2 Racing@Nov 22 2005, 08:01 PM
Bill - thanks for putting up the NASA dates but I'd ideally like to do this on a SCCA regional weekend...

Kevin: No, problem. I, too would like it on a SCCA weekend. I just put out the NASA dates as some of their weekends are adjacent to ours (unfortunately, after SCCA) however, some might be inclined to have two weekends of racing with a short vacation in the middle for one tow. Just another option.

Eagle7
03-31-2006, 11:55 PM
Any news on this?

R2 Racing
04-02-2006, 09:44 AM
No. Simply put, I do not have enough "pull" or "power" to make something like this happen. I believe that the idea would have to be completely sold to either the Cincy Region or the Fort Wayne Region and have them run with it. That's mainly just because they have the two July regionals at Mid Ohio and that would be the perfect time of the year to do it, IMO. Obviously I do not have any say in what happens with those regions and I don't believe that there's been enough of a response here to convince them to do it. I do think though that "If you build it, they will come." Unfortunately my home region, the Ohio Valley Region, does not run their event until September which I think would be too late for people to consider doing in addition to the ARRC, just two months later.

But, I have volunteered myself this year and have become a part of the OVR Race Committee. So hopefully one day I'll have enough of that "pull" to make something like this happen. I still love the idea of it.

charrbq
04-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Kevin,
I can't say that I'd come, for certain. A lot of things play into the opportunity of an 18 hr tow whether it's a race track that I've always wanted to run of not. June would be a good month. It gets so hot down here that the SOWDIV shuts down after Memorial Day until late September. They were losing drivers and workers to the heat.
I go to Atlanta and Daytona in July and September only because the racing is so great and the tracks are fantastic. Sounds like a good reason to head to Mid Ohio where it's cool in two ways.
I figure Evan would make the trip, too. He'd just have to decide which car to bring from the racing stable. :lol:

zracre
04-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Ha its more like which one is not smashed and still running!!LOL I would love to come if I knew it was going to be a big ITA field...I am saving money now to finish the ITS car and get the last few expensive pieces for the ITA car. I want to go to the ARRC prepared this year B)

charrbq
04-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Ha its more like which one is not smashed and still running!!LOL I would love to come if I knew it was going to be a big ITA field...I am saving money now to finish the ITS car and get the last few expensive pieces for the ITA car. I want to go to the ARRC prepared this year B)
[/b]
Does that mean not throwing your tools and spare parts in a bucket and laundry basket just before you leave for the race? As to the big ITA field, they're always big, even when I ran it years ago. Try to find a big B or C field...now there's a challenge! :cavallo:

zracre
04-03-2006, 11:10 PM
those were not laundry baskets! they were high tech parts storage containers!!! and the one with tools was the specialty tool bin!!! B)

RSTPerformance
04-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Does that mean not throwing your tools and spare parts in a bucket and laundry basket just before you leave for the race? As to the big ITA field, they're always big, even when I ran it years ago. Try to find a big B or C field...now there's a challenge! :cavallo:
[/b]

Tow fund???

Raymond
ITB Audi Coupe that would be much faster than last year...

PS: I had a blast last year, great people, and good fun. Was disapointed with the car and the lack of power... It really sucked having a 5 cyl get pulled on the streights by every ITC car on the track!!!

R2 Racing
04-04-2006, 08:13 AM
As to the big ITA field, they're always big, even when I ran it years ago. Try to find a big B or C field...now there's a challenge! :cavallo:
[/b]

The ITA fields here are generally in the 15-20 range. ITB gets about 10-15 and ITC will see about 5-10. That's just your standard regional though and we get four of them a year. But I really believe that if there was a set up and marketed mid-summer "IT Festival" sort of thing, it could draw some large numbers. But like I said, I don't have the power to make that happen.

charrbq
04-05-2006, 07:32 AM
those were not laundry baskets! they were high tech parts storage containers!!! and the one with tools was the specialty tool bin!!! B)
[/b]
O I C ! I'll remember that! Wait until you see the specialized food serving device at this year's ARRC! :P

Midpack
04-19-2006, 05:47 PM
I hope by "Specialized food serving device" you mean a combination waitress, exotic dancer, and chef's assistant. :happy204:

charrbq
04-19-2006, 08:11 PM
I hope by "Specialized food serving device" you mean a combination waitress, exotic dancer, and chef's assistant. :happy204:
[/b]
Depends on Evan's attitude! lol

Midpack
04-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Notice I said waitress. But if Evan's got a sister who doesn't exceed the max weight restriction, he could still be helpful.

zracre
04-20-2006, 03:24 PM
I know what you are looking for but they are generally way more expensive to bring to the track than what is in the trailer!! and waaaaay more maintenance!

charrbq
04-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Not necessarily...our trusty cook has high hopes but a low threshold. If she has bodacious tatas he'll be happy, however, the meals will suffer...as will we. Best thing is to get a card board cutout of Pamela Anderson...he'll be happy with that. Sign it, "Forever Yours", and he'll be smiling all weekend. :lol:

Dave Burchfield
04-22-2006, 08:08 AM
Kevin,

I do have a bit of influence with the July 1 - 2 race weekend. What would the group need to make the trip? Since it is a holiday weekend, many people will have more time off so the date seems logical. If you want to use email, mine is [email protected].

How was the trip to the keys?

db

R2 Racing
04-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Kevin,

I do have a bit of influence with the July 1 - 2 race weekend. What would the group need to make the trip? Since it is a holiday weekend, many people will have more time off so the date seems logical. If you want to use email, mine is [email protected].

How was the trip to the keys?

db
[/b]

The problem with that weekend, at least this year, is that not only do a lot of people have family functions then, but it's also the same weekend as the F1 race in Indy. I'm actually going to be missing the Mid Ohio race that weekend because I'll be out at the USGP. For a real, advertised "Summer Sprints" or "IT Festival" kind of thing though, I could be easily swayed on what I do that weekend. ;)

I generally think with the lack of national guys running the Mid Ohio regionals for Runoffs practice now, the hosting regions may be looking for a way to boost numbers. Also, from the discussions I've had with other IT racers either online or in person, they really like the idea of having something like this early in the summer - our own "June Sprints" if you will. It might take a year or two before it really becomes a huge success like the ARRC, but I think eventually, with the right set up to the weekend, the right awards & contingencies, and the right billing of the event, it could become something a lot of IT racers will put on their schedule every year.

The Keys trip went awesome and was well needed.....at least from what I remember of it. :birra: