PDA

View Full Version : HOT HEAD DRIVERS

KBCAR13
11-22-2005, 01:27 PM
I decided to add this topic after an incident at the EMRA 4 Hour event at Summit Point. What I can't seem to understand is why certain drivers feel as if they are unable to do anything wrong. I am a first year driver and yes I've had a few incidents this year myself of which only the first one being my fault. However, there is an individual who seems to think that he knows it all and is more than estatic to let you know it. Because the topic description is driving stories let me tell you all one of my own. In the EMRA enduro I was let out in the second group. Everyone started out slow. I kept a pace of 1:40 or thereabout which happened to be 2 to 3 seconds slower than what I was running in the practice. In front of me was a much more experienced driver who for the purpose of this story we will call him Forrest. Forrest was running slower than what I was so I tried making a pass in turn one and took the inside. To my suprise Forrest went two wheels off to the inside just to keep me from making the pass. If he believed that I was out there running a sprint race (which I have already mentioned that I wasn't) then why even try to pass me back if you, meaning Forrest, are going to be running 5 to 6 seconds a lap slower. I would think that an experienced drive would consider me a fool and let me go believing that the car or I would not last the night. The reason I bring all of this up is that this particular driver has stuck his nose into my racing when nothing as directly invovled him. Talking with others in the group it seems to be a general thought that maybe he should take a closer look at his driving and even more so his own character as a driver. He may find more things to correct with himself than with others. All I ask is that people mind themselves and don't worry about anything that doesn't have something to do with them. I could understand if I caused him to wreck but in fact he has a faster car and I don't see him most of the time. In short keep your mouth shut because it is getting old fast. :bash_1_: I am sure that this is going to start some controversy amoung those who know me and the situation but please feel free to email me comments or suggestions on how to handle such people. I look forward to hearing other stories such as this one.

Doc Bro
11-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by KBCAR13@Nov 22 2005, 05:27 PM
I am sure that this is going to start some controversy amoung those who know me and the situation but please feel free to email me comments or suggestions on how to handle such people.

How do we know you if you don't use your name?
EMRA....Hmmm....sounds like a NASCAR truck driver causing a problem to me (just a guess!)
Rob

jordanmotorsports
11-22-2005, 02:19 PM
This reminds me of the time that Dave and Kevin were competitors in an endurance race. Oh, wait a second.......

I need to stay out of this and mind myself, since this has nothing to do with me.

:cavallo:
Vive la resistance

KBCAR13
11-22-2005, 02:28 PM
Just to comment on DOC ROB I don't drive a truck nor does Forrest drive a truck.
Also thank you Thomas that was a good one.

jordanmotorsports
11-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by KBCAR13@Nov 22 2005, 01:28 PM
Just to comment on DOC ROB I don't drive a truck nor does Forrest drive a truck.
Also thank you Thomas that was a good one.

Woah! How did you know I was me? But seriously, if Homey keeps talkin' smack, we need to regulate.

Punch and pie.
:cavallo:

jordanmotorsports
11-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Oh, and by "regulate," I mean that we should all sit down and talk about the problems and differences of opinions.

Nobody puts Baby in the corner.

dave parker
11-22-2005, 03:01 PM
Wow. I don't know whether I should shift into Hot Head mode (first time that I have been accused of that) or just shut up.

I think I will chose option three. PM sent.

Please don't call me Forrest, I prefer "dangerous" Dave.

cheers
"dangerous" dave parker

dj10
11-22-2005, 03:01 PM
Were any of your previous incidents with Forest? If he was running that much slower than you why didn't you just drive away from him? Keep your head when you drive, don't let some one else control your emotions.
dj

jordanmotorsports
11-22-2005, 03:13 PM
It is my understanding from talking to several people (and hearing first-hand) that "Dave" has had a problem with "Kevin" for most of the season. "Dave" has had many unkind things to say in the past about "Kevin" and his racing. Apparently "Dave" is under the impression that he has never made a mistake while racing and that "Kevin" is a danger on the track. Of course, no mention has been made of a third party, "Mrs. P," who drives the track so slowly that she is a hazard.

***** Names have been put into quotation marks to protect the innocent. err... ah hell. *****

dazzlesa
11-22-2005, 05:18 PM
For what ever its worth drive with respect. it makes for a better day :)

dave parker
11-22-2005, 06:19 PM
It is my understanding from talking to several people (and hearing first-hand) that "Dave" has had a problem with "Kevin" for most of the season. "Dave" has had many unkind things to say in the past about "Kevin" and his racing. Apparently "Dave" is under the impression that he has never made a mistake while racing and that "Kevin" is a danger on the track. Of course, no mention has been made of a third party, "Mrs. P," who drives the track so slowly that she is a hazard.

***** Names have been put into quotation marks to protect the innocent. err... ah hell. **

Thomas
I am surprised that this commentary is coming from you, especially posted on a public forum without saying it to my face first. I don't see what stake you have in this other than to stir up hate and discontent. But I may not be seeing the whole picture.

I have apologized to Kevin off line for what was a ill advised, bonehead pass in T1 on lap two of the 4 hour endurance race at Summit Point this weekend. There was no contact, no body went spinning off the track, it was just a questionable pass that did not need to be made on the second lap of a race of that length. I will let Kevin share the apology with you if he choses to.

I have been critical of Kevin's driving this season because he has made some decisions on the track that were questionable. I have always shared my opinion with Kevin concerning these issues face to face because I want to see him do better. I was an instructor at Kevin's first and second SCCA school's and like nothing better than to see students improve and become better racing drivers. I DO NOT consider Kevin a "danger", he is a new racer who is learning about "good judgement". I have been made to realize that my opinions were not wanted or solicited so I will keep them to myself in the future.

I too have made serious mistakes on the race track. I am the first to admit it. I have made my apologies to those that I have wronged. I am not God's gift to amateur racing or racing in general. I have learned from my mistakes and try not to repeat them. I have also been accused of wrongdoing on the racetrack and found innocent later by the SCCA National Court of Appeals.

I don't think that my wife,Terri, was mentioned because we were talking about me and my driving. But since YOU brought it up let's talk about it. My wife is SLOW, in an ITC car her fastest lap at Summit Point is a 1:49. She is slow enough that it concerns me that she is a hazard to other people on the track who are actually RACING. I have told her that I would like her to refrain from participating in wheel to wheel competition until she can bring her lap times to within the 120 percent rule. She has declined my advise and raced in two races this year to keep her competition license. I don't think that it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that there is some serious friction at home regarding this issue. I am hopeful that Terri will get her lap times down to an acceptable level so that I will feel comfortable that she is not a hazard to people who racing at the same time that she is on the track. Unfortunately, this is something that she must do herself, I can only support her and coax her toward improvement. If it is such a big deal to YOU that she is a hazard, YOU should go to the tower and protest the stewards for not enforcing the 120 percent rule. I am sure that will earn you their respect.

As I write this I am still trying to figure out what YOUR motivation in this thread is. I have considered you a friend for quite awhile and maybe this is just one of those things. Or maybe you not really a friend after all.........

I am going back to work now.

"dangerous" dave parker

spnkzss
11-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Can't we all just get along?

:bash_1_:

Eagle7
11-22-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by KBCAR13@Nov 22 2005, 01:27 PM
I am sure that this is going to start some controversy amoung those who know me and the situation but please feel free to email me comments or suggestions on how to handle such people. I look forward to hearing other stories such as this one.

You asked for advice so here goes. If you've got a problem with someone talk to them face to face. Worst case, you can both hear each other's perspective. Best case, you might gain a friend. Air your dirty laundry in public and you're guaranteed to make an enemy, and you look cheap in the process.

Greg Amy
11-22-2005, 08:20 PM
What's the chances of us taking this little snit offline to email...?

zracre
11-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Eagle7@Nov 22 2005, 08:19 PM
You asked for advice so here goes. If you've got a problem with someone talk to them face to face. Worst case, you can both hear each other's perspective. Best case, you might gain a friend. Air your dirty laundry in public and you're guaranteed to make an enemy, and you look cheap in the process.

What he said...well done :023:

Wreckerboy
11-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Gentlemen -

I have no personal knowledge of the incident in question. If it got called in on the radio I missed that particular call. (BTW, the workers at station one were two of EMRA's best and brightest, and have flagged numerous events for EMRA and CART around the globe). I have met both drivers and do not claim to know either them or their driving skills particularly well, but both seem to be decent sorts.

As Eagle7 noted, a public forum such as this is not the best place to air one's laundry, make veiled accusations, and generally carry on. If you've taken this private and resolved it, great.

The real purpose of my post is to suggest that if you have an on-track incident at an EMRA event and are not happy with the way things are done, please, please, PLEASE do not hesitate to find an Official EMRA Somebody to air your greavance / concern / outrage with. Bob Hill (the EMRA Chair, and Chief Steward of this particular event) and myself were all over pit road during the SP enduro, and are more than willing to hear your concerns and address them wherever possible. In the future, please don't be shy. If you don't recognize us, just ask around and you'll be pointed in the right direction. We're there to help.

EMRA is a race group run by racers for racers, and we understand that incidents happen. We don't have a lot of formality, stewards actions, or courts of appeal or things of that nature. That has it's time and place, but it's not us. We also understand that we are all on-track to enjoy ourselves and would rather hear an issue out quickly, resolve it as best as possible, and move on when possible.

(steps off soapbox)

Rob Myles
EMRA Chief of Tech, etc., etc.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled IT dot com thread -

KBCAR13
11-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Hey Rob you suck.

benspeed
11-23-2005, 12:51 PM
That remark wasn't even funny, even if you do know Rob. The webmaster ought to nuke your account.

My 8 year old has more brains and class to place a post like that.

zracre
11-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Especially considering the fact that he won't even put his name on the page he is writing...

KBCAR13
11-23-2005, 01:38 PM
My name is Kevin Helm I race a 90 honda Civic number 13
Rob is a good friend of mine. He is the one who posted "can't we all just get along." It was a joke. By the way Rob don't feel bad because Robby Gordon is horrible too. :023:

KBCAR13
11-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Now I see why the comment Rob you suck looks so bad. I didn't mean Rob Myles aka wreckerboy. I meant Rob my friend aka spnkzss.

Andy Bettencourt
11-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Try some:

:D :) :P

spnkzss
11-23-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by KBCAR13@Nov 23 2005, 12:46 PM
Now I see why the comment Rob you suck looks so bad. I didn't mean Rob Myles aka wreckerboy. I meant Rob my friend aka spnkzss.

I was going to stay out of this, but have decided to say a couple quick things.

First off, I think this thread needs to be stopped. The whole thing was started because of things taken out of context, or mis-interpeted. I think other people who are not involved will then take some of the things here out of context also. It's probably just safer to let it die.

Kevin saying "Rob you suck" I understood him talking to me and actually laughed about it. Other's who didn't know would/did take that out of context.

I believe everything between the two people this involves have resolved this issue offline, and if they are not resolved, they will be, again offline. Unfortunatly the topic that started all of this was only the last straw that set them over the edge. There has been an underlying problem that needed to be resolved.

Spanky aka ROB
#03 ITC 1990 Honda Civic

irondragon
11-23-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by KBCAR13@Nov 23 2005, 05:38 PM
My name is Kevin Helm I race a 90 honda Civic number 13
Rob is a good friend of mine. He is the one who posted "can't we all just get along." It was a joke. By the way Rob don't feel bad because Robby Gordon is horrible too. :023:

KBCAR13
Before you tell the whole world Wreckerboy 'Sucks', why don't you get out there and try to do what I have seen him do very well for the past ten years??
Until then shut up.
I ran the EMRA SP 4 hr last saturday and Rob did a splendid job. What did you do to make the race happen??

Bill Miskoe Iron Dragon Racing

spnkzss
11-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by irondragon@Nov 23 2005, 09:26 PM
KBCAR13
Before you tell the whole world Wreckerboy 'Sucks', why don't you get out there and try to do what I have seen him do very well for the past ten years??
Until then shut up.
I ran the EMRA SP 4 hr last saturday and Rob did a splendid job. What did you do to make the race happen??

Bill Miskoe Iron Dragon Racing

You are a perfect example of why this thread needs to stop. If you had continuued to read the rest of the thread you would have seen that this had nothing to do with Wreckerboy. As a matter of fact I know that Kevin personally contacted wreckerboy for the miscommunication on this post.

SRX7#27
11-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Wow, all of this fabulous controversy without a single dented-up Spec RX-7 in sight! I so miss racing, even though I only stopped 2 weeks ago... Now you all go play nice, or the RX-7's are gonna come looking for 'ya! -Al G

Terri bear 12
11-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by SRX7#27@Nov 27 2005, 12:02 PM
Wow, all of this fabulous controversy without a single dented-up Spec RX-7 in sight! I so miss racing, even though I only stopped 2 weeks ago... Now you all go play nice, or the RX-7's are gonna come looking for 'ya! -Al G

:D HI AL

Bill Miller
11-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Kevin,

Not only do you need to work on your on-track performance (by your own admission), but you need to work on you off-track performance as well. As has been pointed out, you should have addressed this off-line.

Wreckerboy
11-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Hello. My name is Rob. Shame on me for having a popular first name. Some know me as Wreckerboy.

When I saw the "you suck" comment above I was somewhat put off by it. To be honest, because I don't know the person who wrote it, and my first thought was "what on earth did I do to piss him off?" Usually when I piss somebody off I like to know about it, so I can do it again if it's truly effective, but I digress...

Anyway, I did receive an e-mail from Kevin explaining his actions and apologizing for them. The internet is a tough place because the written word occaisionally lacks the subtlety and nuance required, as AB pointed out. Thanks for clarifying yourself, I appreciate that. Case closed.

The reason for this post is to thank all of those who stepped up to my defense and who wrote nice things about me. You guys are RUINING my reputation!

ggnagy
11-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by SRX7#27@Nov 27 2005, 01:02 PM

Any truth to the rumor that ITC was asking to be grouped with ITA until Bob Cage made the IT-7 request?

mgyip
11-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by ggnagy@Nov 28 2005, 10:35 AM
Any truth to the rumor that ITC was asking to be grouped with ITA until Bob Cage made the IT-7 request?

Nope - ITA and ITB wanted to stay grouped together even with our problem children :D

Oh - Wreckerboy, I don't think it's possible to further damage your reputation - Face it, you've raced against me for LAST PLACE!! How could it get any worse? :birra: ;)

SRX7#27
11-28-2005, 12:56 PM
[quote]

Nope, the only group change discussed at the November comp meeting was what to do with ITS.. They ended up moving to big bore and SSM netted their own group.. -AG

Wreckerboy
11-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by mgyip@Nov 28 2005, 10:52 AM
Oh - Wreckerboy, I don't think it's possible to further damage your reputation - Face it, you've raced against me for LAST PLACE!! How could it get any worse? :birra: ;)

Yes, but it was one hell of race! It only cost me a transmission, you had to repair your wounded pride....

:happy204:

(And the shame of it is he beat me at the line!)

KBCAR13
11-29-2005, 10:06 AM
So ITC will continue to run with SRX-7's. I am suprised that more discuss on that group and the possibility to moving ITC's somewhere else didn't occur. There are a bunch of C guys talking about moving to PRODUCTION next year because of the grouping.

ggnagy
11-29-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by SRX7#27+Nov 28 2005, 12:56 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ggnagy@Nov 28 2005, 10:35 AM

Nope, the only group change discussed at the November comp meeting was what to do with ITS.. They ended up moving to big bore and SSM netted their own group.. -AG

[/b]

Sorry Al and Matt. My post was smiley-deficient. This board&#39;s different technology-type stuff confuses and frightens me. :119: :119: :119:

;)

p99ro
12-10-2005, 09:08 PM
So why did the chicken cross turn 1?

Glad thats over.
Scott CRX 07 ITA NER

Board all ready when do they plow the track? :D