PDA

View Full Version : CMP - Carolina Motorsports Park

Ron Earp
11-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Alrighty, a novice review using Jeff's format.

1. Camping A - yes and not too shabby. Good restrooms close to just about anywhere since the paddock is not that large. Watch out for fire ants. If you don't know what they are, you soon will. Stay out of the John near track entrance if I'm present and was out the night before.

2. Showers - I think I remember them having them, but haven't used them since we hotel in Camden a lot. Not that I don't shower or anything, just haven't camped at CMP yet.

3. Food - C - Reheated pouch food is the order of the day. MREs are much better, canned food much better, and if you bring a grill you'll have a lot of friends. It is edible, but not the best. Still, I'm glad they have something since it is appreciated to have food on site, so, I support it and always buy something during a weekend.

4. Power - C - There is power spread out, but it seems to go on and off at random. If you are camping make sure your generator is present.

5. Air - C - Check near gas and water pumps. Come prepared and bring your own air.

6. Grid/Tech Shed - B - Tech shed is very small, open air, but it works. Grid is on hot black pavement and you'll get a scorch on in a car in August for sure.

7. Track -- I've not raced the other tracks but Rockingham and VIR, but I really like CMP. CMP is flat with decent runoff except in 4, and has a lot of places to pass. There are two medium length straights and some very nice technical curves as well as an "autocross" section that is fairly tight. Good racing - you don't get all spread about as you might at VIR and there is something for everyone. I'd say a racers' track as the racing is good, tight, and generally close. A place where the well-driven "underpowered" car that handles well can compete with the big boys.

8. Local amenities -- What??????? None. There is the tiny town of Kershaw that has a couple of small hotels and a place to eat. Usually infested with SCCA at race time. It is North of the track about 8 miles. If you go South about 20 miles you can stay in Camden, a much larger town with many more hotels and some very interesting night life. Head to the Brew and Cue, hop a cab to the private Fox's Den. Lot's of good restaurants in Camden too, the one in the old bank is fantastic and the Mexican place is really good as well. There is a nice Stop and Rob literally 100 yards outside of the track entrance that has good gas, ice, etc.

9. Autoparts -- Lots in Camden, get there before 8pm for best results.

10. Racing Line -- CMP is pretty easy to pickup - stay out in the Carousel, flat out through the kink, and pay attention through the "autocross" portion. Fairly straightforward. You can't wreck anywhere big, really, except in 3 where you can bugger up and put it in one of two walls. If you run off too much in 1 with recent rain you could find yourself in a pond.

Ron