PDA

View Full Version : ITA Suspension

Mattberg
11-21-2005, 01:35 PM
What's the best package for an SSC/ITA Neon conversion? Also how about headers?

GregM
11-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Mattberg@Nov 21 2005, 12:35 PM
What's the best package for an SSC/ITA Neon conversion? Also how about headers?

For the headers call TTi.

I have been in contact with Ground Control for a coil over setup around $1000 complete.

Speed Raycer
11-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Seems like a Group Buy would be a good idea as there are a number of guys on here getting ready to start developing their ex SSC cars.

Mattberg
11-21-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Speed Raycer@Nov 22 2005, 12:48 AM
Seems like a Group Buy would be a good idea as there are a number of guys on here getting ready to start developing their ex SSC cars.

I'm in.

sstecker
11-22-2005, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by GregM@Nov 21 2005, 08:18 PM
For the headers call TTi.

I have been in contact with Ground Control for a coil over setup around $1000 complete.

the koni sports with coil over sleeve kit?

GregM
11-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by sstecker@Nov 22 2005, 02:03 AM
the koni sports with coil over sleeve kit?

Yes ut there may be better setups out there. Still need to investigate. Shocks make a huge difference .

Mattberg
11-22-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by GregM@Nov 22 2005, 03:03 PM
Yes ut there may be better setups out there. Still need to investigate. Shocks make a huge difference .

This the right stuff?

http://www.ground-control-store.com/produc...tion.php/II=564 (http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=564)

GregM
11-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Mattberg@Nov 22 2005, 05:31 PM
This the right stuff?

http://www.ground-control-store.com/produc...tion.php/II=564 (http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=564)

Yes thats the kit. The shock valving is very important also. Mopar has a setup and you could use those spring rates as a starting point. Big issue who's shocks to buy ???

Chris, any idea's ?? What are you running in your car ?
Thanks

Rabbit07
11-22-2005, 09:16 PM
I have the old Mopar kit with the Dymanic shocks. The issue with the Konis from what I hear from my friends at Dodge are that they would not be enough dampening for the high rate. springs. Now if they could be revalved then great. There are always options, just how much money do you want to spend. The Mopar kit was around $1000 a corner when you include the shock, the spring/coil-over kit, and the camber plate. Then another $500 each for the control arms.

I drove a 97 ACR in the 13 hr at VIR last month. I was suprised at how similar it felt to the ITA car. It didn't have the high rate springs ect of the ITA car. Things might have been different if I was driving the car 10/10th, but it did feel very similar. The point you might ask? I don't know how much of the extra parts you need to be really fast. I can tell you that all of the other Neons that I raced in ITA this year were slower than me by atleast 1.5 seconds. Many of those guys had been driving Neons for years, I just started with one this year. I have been racing an ITB Mustang for the last 5 yrs. I think that many of those other drivers were better at driving a Neon than me. I just had better equiptment. If you put any of them in the car I have been driving the story would likley be in reverse. Tayloring the car to the driver is also important. Do you like it loose/tight. Do you like a highly sprung twitchy car, or a more showroom stock feel.

I could go on for days........... :119:

Matt Ferratusco
11-23-2005, 03:23 AM
Stock Konis (adjustables) are only good for up to 550lb springs. Beyond that, custom valving is required. Easy as calling Koni at 1-800-922-2616. :023:

Ground Control has a sister company called Advanced Design that makes shocks. I've never driven on them, but I hear they're a quality product. However the company (small) has put production on hiatus while they revamp. Maybe another month or so. Mark at GC will know.

Mattberg
11-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Matt Ferratusco@Nov 23 2005, 07:23 AM
Stock Konis (adjustables) are only good for up to 550lb springs. Beyond that, custom valving is required. Easy as calling Koni at 1-800-922-2616. :023:

Ground Control has a sister company called Advanced Design that makes shocks. I've never driven on them, but I hear they're a quality product. However the company (small) has put production on hiatus while they revamp. Maybe another month or so. Mark at GC will know.

The ones from GC are for Konis only. Any recommendations as to rates for the Neon?

sstecker
11-23-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Matt Ferratusco@Nov 23 2005, 03:23 AM

yep on hold until late december - ill probably be going that route - advance design da coil overs with gc camber plates.

hey rabbit07 did the mopar coil overs change the rake of the vehicle?

Matt Ferratusco
11-23-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Mattberg@Nov 23 2005, 09:51 AM
The ones from GC are for Konis only. Any recommendations as to rates for the Neon?

Considering Advanced Design was created - and is owned and operated by - GC, I would think GC coilovers work with AD shocks.

I've been researching spring rates and haven't had much luck. For now we're starting with 450 / 750, but I have no idea how well this will work.

Matt Rowe
11-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Matt Ferratusco@Nov 23 2005, 11:42 AM
Considering Advanced Design was created - and is owned and operated by - GC, I would think GC coilovers work with AD shocks.

I've been researching spring rates and haven't had much luck. For now we're starting with 450 / 750, but I have no idea how well this will work.

Is that 450 front, 750 rear or the other way around? 750 in the rear seems awfully high to me given the suspension geometry and drive layout. I've been giving serious thought to an ITA neon build with a starting point of 550-600 front, 450 rear. But that's just me.

Rabbit07
11-23-2005, 02:06 PM
The Mopar kit was 500lbs up front and 325s in the rear. With a 1:1 motion ratio 750 is way too high. Currently I am running 450's in the front and 325's rear. I have considered more rear, but have not tested yet. I like a very loose car and haven't gotten there yet. The car is quite neutral as is. Stock front sway bar and the trunk kit bar in the rear.

Mattberg
11-23-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Matt Ferratusco@Nov 23 2005, 04:42 PM

Now I know why Matt's having brake problems... The wheels are off the ground! :blink: I'm at 500 front 325 rear but I'm not sure it's quite right. I'm thinking a little more up front might help. The rear of the car is useless anyway. :D

Rabbit07
11-23-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Mattberg@Nov 23 2005, 10:46 PM
Now I know why Matt's having brake problems... The wheels are off the ground! :blink: I'm at 500 front 325 rear but I'm not sure it's quite right. I'm thinking a little more up front might help. The rear of the car is useless anyway. :D

Once the tire is off the ground you have 100% weight transfer. From there the front does control it all.

Matt Ferratusco
11-25-2005, 07:49 PM
:lol: Yes, 450F/750R. But right now the SSC suspension is still on the car. I haven't installed the new ITA suspension yet. Figures, now I get feedback after I ordered the springs. Where were you guys a month ago?! I did receive feedback from a couple people who were running over 700 in the rear and said the car is not loose. Trial & error will have to suffice I suppose. Car has the stock FSB, trunk kit RSB.

Woody
11-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the great discussion, I am taking notes! :023:

Andy Bettencourt
11-26-2005, 10:48 PM
I have to tell ya'll, I am glad to see the enthusiasm for the Neon in ITA. It's going to make the fields ultra-strong.

AB

lateapex911
11-27-2005, 05:23 PM
One thing with the Advanced is that you will need to have them valve them to your specs, at least close enough to get the range right, and you will also need to get the whole refill/nitrogen setup. Everyone I know that has them refills at least every day. THats a pain for the rears, but at the bottom of the strut tube, thats a major PIA!

Beware......

(Running a gas shock with no gas aint ideal)

sstecker
12-15-2005, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by lateapex911@Nov 27 2005, 05:23 PM
One thing with the Advanced is that you will need to have them valve them to your specs, at least close enough to get the range right, and you will also need to get the whole refill/nitrogen setup. Everyone I know that has them refills at least every day. THats a pain for the rears, but at the bottom of the strut tube, thats a major PIA!

Beware......

(Running a gas shock with no gas aint ideal)

thanks - read about that on other boards too. thought about it more and im going with konis into custom fabricated strut housings.

GregM
08-22-2006, 06:13 PM
How many people out there would be interested in an ITA Coil Over setup for their ITA Neon???

I have been doing some investigating and met with ANZE Engineering and SRP Engineering today about building a setup for both my cars.

I want to try to keep the price point down around where the Mopar setup was.

Raced my ITA Neon this past weekend at Lime Rock and had a great time. First time out for the old SSC car in two years + the ITA conversion. Now its really fun to race and should be competitive real soon.

Any interest out there for the shocks ???

Greg Amy
08-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Greg, have you talked to Angelo about pricing? Last time we talked to him he was quoting about $1800 PER CORNER for Penske-based struts...

It looks like really good stuff, but yowza...! - GregA

GregM
08-22-2006, 08:50 PM
We are working toward's getting the price point down by using single adjustable. You can then upgrade like I plan to do to eventually make a FP car if you so desire.

I have had now three cars with shocks from them. I can tell you first hand there is nothing that has made my cars more consistant or faster than a great set of Penske Shocks from them. I currently run them in my T2 Firebird ( formerly the Knowles 3rd place Runoff's car T2). Had two Cobra R Mustangs with them as well when I raced Motorola / Grand Am Cup. Simply awesome. One was a Zippo Mustang formerly the #17 and one was my build that was a copy of it and that won at Daytona with their shocks !

Greg We need to get you into a Neon. I now have three friends with good cars available for you. I am waiting for my customer to return my call about the brand x car.

GregM
09-25-2006, 07:02 PM
My new struts are in the works from ANZE Engineering. Is anyone out there interested in getting a set ??

The price you had been quoted Greg was for Triple Adjustable by the way. A bit pricy but very trick. I run double adjustable's on the Firebird now having converted them from single's. My Cobra R's also had double's.

Just as a side note if the single adjustable's were good enough to put Don Knowle's 3rd at the Runoff's I am sure the new Penske' single's will work out just fine on the Neon project ITA car. They are a true race shock. They can also be upgraded at any time.

PSherm
09-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Greg, if I were building a Prod car, I'd be interested. But since I'll just be working on the IT car, I'm gonna stick with my Mopar units. My only concern with them is service, since Dynamic is no longer making them...

GregM
09-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Depending on the parts inside SRP Engineering may be able to rebuild them and revalve them. Most of the manufacturers parts are interchangeable somewhat . I had external reserviour Dynamic's on one of my mustangs but not all Dynamic internal's were used to rebuild them which also saved cost.