PDA

View Full Version : Shifter swaps

Mike Spencer
11-19-2005, 06:58 PM
First of all, I have a 1st gen RX-7 with a 12A and what appears to be a somewhat original shifter. I had heard on a non-racing forum that most of the Mazda shifters are interchangable. Anyone know if this is true?

My 1st choice would (probably) be to swap out what I have for a Miata shifter. They are shorter and therefore less prone to being "muscled" into gear. This is normally not a problem, as I've had the car for about a year and a half and am still working with the same transmission. :023: FWIW, I change the lubricant after ever race weekend.

Thanks, in advance,

ddewhurst
11-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Mike, which RULE alows you to install a Miata shft lever in a 1st gen transmission for SCCA IT racing ? ;)

Shift like you have an egg in your palm. Shift with with your fingers.

The first thing that gives up in the 1st gen transmission is the brass syncro gears.

Mike Spencer
11-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by ddewhurst@Nov 20 2005, 01:48 AM
Mike, which RULE alows...

David,

I thought about that this morning. It was a dumb question :bash_1_: , since all I am allowed to do is bend the shifter above the floor or tunnel. Hopefully, I won't push that hard! ;-)

<sigh>

C. Ludwig
11-20-2005, 05:56 PM
FWIW...

The Miata shifter won&#39;t work anyway. There are subtle differences in the different series of RX-7 too.