PDA

View Full Version : Jetta Question

imsafanct
11-17-2005, 12:11 PM
Guys,

I have a line on a cheap 1991 Jetta Wolfsburg. Just out of curiosity, any idea what engine/trans. combo this vehicle has?

I am assuming the engine is an RV or PF as it is a Digi 2 car. Am I correct in assuming this car has a 10:1 engine, w/ 40/33 valves? I am not as concerned whether it has the better dual outlet manifold/downpipe as I can source one easily if it is not so equipped.

As for the trans., all I know is that it's a 5spd. What code trans. did these cars come w/? I thought I read somewhere that the Wolfsburg cars came w/ the 8v GTI's close ration box?

Years ago I had a nice '91 8v GTI and loved it and am looking at getting another VW for fun.

VIN is WVWRA21G0MW11503

Thanks,

Eric

tcpip
11-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this should have the RV/Digifant 2 engine. That's what my 91 Golf Wolfsburg was, and that's the info I found at VWVortex. I know that the Golf/Wolf versions had the same engine as the GL, and I would assume that the Jetta/Wolf would also no have the upgraded 8V engine. Check the manual, if it's 100HP, then I'm right. If it's 105HP, then it's the PF/Digi2 engine with the dual outlet manifold.

imsafanct
11-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Jon,

Am I correct by saying the only difference between the RV and PF is that the PF has the dual outlet manifold/downpipe thus making 5 extra hp? Any other differences?

-Eric

tcpip
11-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Too the best of my knowledge that's correct. I do wonder if the ECU is programmed slightly different, though. But I'll admit that I'm the definitive source of car info.

JamesB
11-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Without my bently I dont know what the A engine code stands for for that model year, but A is usually the lowest HP motor of that model year.

tcpip
11-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Just a follow up to JamesB's post. There's a digit missing from your VIN. I assume it's the serial number. Anyways, A is the lowest and E appears to be the highest output gas engine. So it appears that you have the lowest output engine, thus RV.

imsafanct
11-17-2005, 06:43 PM
I did some hunting around on the net today and found info. validating that the A does indicate the lowest hp engine offering in a given model/year. Not really a big deal in my case as the only diff. between the lowest and highest hp offerings appears to be the manifold/downpipe.

My real concern is the gearbox. Though the vehicle is clean and cheap, I may be put off a bit to learn that the trans. is the more fuel conscious version. Again, my knowledge of trans. codes is almost non-existent.

I'll take a look at it this weekend. The price actually just came down even further about 30 mins ago. Maybe it's a sign?

-Eric

Bill Miller
11-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Not totally sure, as I'm not all that up on the later A2 configurations, but I believe that you've probably got an AUG code tranny. This is a close-ratio box w/ a 3.67 R&P. I just happen to know about this, as I recently came across one, attached to a 1.8 8v digi-2 motor out of a '91 GTI. It had a single-outlet manifold. I believe this is the same configuration as the '91 Jetta Wolfie.

JamesB
11-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Oddly enough I hit up a friends CarFax account and that car came up as a Carrat not a Wolfsburg.

imsafanct
11-18-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm an auto damage appraiser by trade and using the damage estimating software I have, it will decode the VIN using the only 16 characters the VIN shows. I didn't even notice this until you pointed it out to me. Funny that the software still decoded it as a Jetta; Carat or Wolfsburg notwithstanding.

The vehicle does appear similar to the many other Wolfsburgs I've seen (badges on fenders, 13" steel wheels w/ the small circular holes). Thanks for your help again guys. Hopefully it'll be in my driveway tomorrow!

I'll let you know what the trans. code is at that point.

-Eric

Conover
11-22-2005, 01:36 PM
Your probably going to find the wide cruiser box in that car. The Wolfsburg edition was nice trim package with economy driveline, lower HP and wide box, but hey, at least you'll have tilt steering and cruise control. I think the Trans code for that car is going to be the AUG.

shwah
11-22-2005, 02:43 PM
I don't know if I would call the AUG a wide cruiser box. It has the same gears as the 90+ 8v gti. The only wide space is 1st to 2nd as 2nd is a taller 1.96, vs 2.12. At least that is how I remember it.

Bill Miller
11-22-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by shwah@Nov 22 2005, 02:43 PM
I don't know if I would call the AUG a wide cruiser box. It has the same gears as the 90+ 8v gti. The only wide space is 1st to 2nd as 2nd is a taller 1.96, vs 2.12. At least that is how I remember it.

Yep, I wouldn't call an AUG a 'wide cruiser box' either. It's essentially the same as the 16v trannys, and has pretty much the same gearing as the Rabbit GTI 2H/4K/FK boxes (albeit w/ a slightly different 1st -> 2nd, as Chris pointed out). Big difference is that they came w/ a 3.67 R&P vs. a 3.89 or 3.94. But since the R&P ratio is free, that really doesn't matter. The AUG does come w/ the 100mm axle flanges.