PDA

View Full Version : Improved Touring: Air Dam ?

darrinV
11-16-2005, 03:40 PM
So, I just purchased a 240Z to get into ITS. No rants about competitiveness vs other cars please. When I can drive the wheels off it, I'll consider moving to something more expensive.

Anyway, I want to add a more efficient air dam. I've been going over the GCR on this, and it seems contradictory to me. 17.1.4 (ITS) .8.b says "A front spoiler/air dam is permitted". bal bla bla Then it goes on to say "Dealer installed or limited production front/rear spoliers/air dams/wings are prohibited".

So, I can change the air dam, as long as it's original OEM equipment ????

Thanks
darrinV

joeg
11-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Any FRONT air dam is fine (provided it does not extend forward beyond the bumper, etc.)

That "dealer installed" lingo is effectively limited to a REAR spoiler.

Cheers.

Greg Amy
11-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by darrinV@Nov 16 2005, 01:40 PM
So, I can change the air dam, as long as it's original OEM equipment ????

Negative. Aftermarket/custom air dams are legal.

The "dealer installed or limited production" verbiage you're referring to is to keep folks from adding aero stuff to their car that would otherwise be illegal to the IT rules. Ideas off the top of my head include duckbills, deck spoilers, side skirts, a-pillar diverters, etc. Air dams, on the other hand, are governed by the specific verbiage that allows them. - GA

darrinV
11-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by GregAmy@Nov 16 2005, 03:02 PM
Negative. Aftermarket/custom air dams are legal.

The "dealer installed or limited production" verbiage you're referring to is to keep folks from adding aero stuff to their car that would otherwise be illegal to the IT rules. Ideas off the top of my head include duckbills, deck spoilers, side skirts, a-pillar diverters, etc. Air dams, on the other hand, are governed by the specific verbiage that allows them. - GA

NICE. The aftermarket air dam I'm looking at seems to cover the metal front bumper. GCR says "Integrated bumper assemblies" are Ok, so that should pass spec.

New air dam, a couple of aerodynamic headlight covers and I'll be good to go.

Thanks
D

Greg Amy
11-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Well, hold on there a second, partner. While aftermarket/custom air dams are allowed, you still have to meet the remaining restrictions.

"Integrated bumper assemblies" refer to cars that came that way from the factory; it in no way allows you to create one if you never had it. More clearly, the rule states that an airdam shall not protrude outside of the body outline, specifically excluding bumpers or bumper mounts.

Thus, your described spoiler - one that covers the metal bumper - would NOT be legal to the ITCS. - GA

darrinV
11-16-2005, 05:22 PM
No Free Lunch in ITS it seems. It does protrude beyond the body and replace the bumper. Truly an SCCA illegal aftermatket piece of kit.

Hmmmm. Time to consider custom fiberglass air dam molds.

Thanks again
Darrin

Geo
11-16-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by darrinV@Nov 16 2005, 02:22 PM
Hmmmm. Time to consider custom fiberglass air dam molds.

There are some good 240Z airdams out there (commercially), but it takes some hunting. The 240Z was one of the cars I was considering before I found the 944.

Chris Wire
11-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by darrinV@Nov 16 2005, 04:34 PM
..... a couple of aerodynamic headlight covers and I'll be good to go.

Thanks
D

Let's not forget this little tidbit, also illegal. ;)

darrinV
11-17-2005, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Chris Wire@Nov 16 2005, 10:14 PM
Let's not forget this little tidbit, also illegal. ;)

Ugh! Will the madness ever end? :bash_1_: Ok, so NO headlight covers and a LEGAL air dam with better performance than the urethane version.

The quest goes on .....

Andy Bettencourt
11-17-2005, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by darrinV@Nov 16 2005, 11:47 PM
Ugh! Will the madness ever end? :bash_1_: Ok, so NO headlight covers and a LEGAL air dam with better performance than the urethane version.

The quest goes on .....

Dealer installed items are not considered stock. Think of it like that and you won't have a problem.

Contact some other Z owners for some tips.

AB

lateapex911
11-17-2005, 11:23 PM
If the pictures are of yuor car and thats the airdam in question, I think you culd modify it and use it, provided that, once you cut the part that wraps the metal bumper off, the resulting unit is with in the outline of the body.

Of course, thats a bunch of work, and it's not unlikely that ....this being racing...the air dam MAY see a little abuse.

I would want one easily replaced...;)

Welcome to the madness!

racer_tim
11-17-2005, 11:46 PM
http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mv...egory_Code=7AD1 (http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=50-1524&Category_Code=7AD1)

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mv...egory_Code=7AD1 (http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=50-1402&Category_Code=7AD1)

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mv...egory_Code=7AD1 (http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=50-1411&Category_Code=7AD1)

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mv...egory_Code=7AD1 (http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=50-1522&Category_Code=7AD1)

Would all be legal

Other's on this page wouldn't be

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mv...egory_Code=7AD1 (http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=7AD1)

JeffYoung
11-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Darrin, give me a call (919-286-8011). I've got a 260z, can help you with spoiler choices. As others have said, there are a lot of good, legal options out there.

NOW, riddle me this guys. GCR says you can cut two holes for a SINGLE 3" duct right? Most Zs I see run at least 4 ducts, 2 to the rotors and 2 to the calipers. Is this ok under the "brakes may be ventilated rule?"

I've always wondered about this. If you see the pictures of Chet Wittel's orange Z that won the ARRC a couple of years back, it looks to me like he has 4 ducts. My Z came with 4 ducts, and I'd like to get them, but wonder about the legality of it.....

zracre
11-19-2005, 03:08 PM
I believe air ducts are open...just the size of the holes you cut into the bumber are not. If there are existing areas to draw air for the ducts you should be able to use them.

JeffYoung
11-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Evan, I hope you are right.

I guess I am puzzled though by the reference to the ability to cut the hole for a SINGLE 3" air duct hose on either side.

There are some out there who think more than 2 ducts are illegal, and honestly, I think I see their point.

JLawton
11-20-2005, 09:16 AM
Check this one out!

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=6455 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6455)

As Jake said, you may not want to spend a lot of money on it because there's a good chance it's going to get ripped off........

Also, make sure it clears your trailer ramps or is easy to remove.

zracre
11-20-2005, 10:17 AM
I think they are trying to keep people from building a nice ram air set up and calling it brake ducts....when I first started racing the z i had brake problems at sebring short course (old chicane etc) so I went to home depot and had the ugliest brake ducts ever...those ones in particular were not legal as they stuck out about 4 inches in front of the car. someone pointed out that they were too far out and i told them they were temp and everything was fine.

Marcus Miller
11-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by JLawton@Nov 20 2005, 06:16 AM
Check this one out!

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=6455 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6455)

As Jake said, you may not want to spend a lot of money on it because there's a good chance it's going to get ripped off........

Also, make sure it clears your trailer ramps or is easy to remove.

I can vouch for that one. It lasted all year until the last event when "someone" decided a cone needed to be moved. :023:

Marcus, who paddocks with Tom...

Parrish57
11-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Darrin... I've been running a Z Car for a few years. I use the Urethane air dam that Racer Tim gave the link to. The fiberglass would have had to be replaced many times over as every time you go for an off track excursion you hit it. I had a hard crash at Lowe's Motor Speedway a few years ago. The car was totalled but the urethane air dam popped right back to shape!

The guys are right about the air dam pictured on your car. The bumper cover is illegal.

Steve Parrish
1970 240Z

ps That's a beautiful car! Good luck with it and feel free to ask for tech help!

darrinV
11-20-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Parrish57@Nov 20 2005, 10:55 AM
Darrin... I've been running a Z Car for a few years. I use the Urethane air dam that Racer Tim gave the link to. The fiberglass would have had to be replaced many times over as every time you go for an off track excursion you hit it. I had a hard crash at Lowe's Motor Speedway a few years ago. The car was totalled but the urethane air dam popped right back to shape!

The guys are right about the air dam pictured on your car. The bumper cover is illegal.

Steve Parrish
1970 240Z

ps That's a beautiful car! Good luck with it and feel free to ask for tech help!

Great info guys. It's actually not on my car. That's a stock photo from MSA. The urethane air dams definitely sound more survivable. I'm looking at ways to make it more aerodynamicaly efficient.

I made the decision this week and bought a 240Z set up for ITS. (photo attached) Can't wait to get it on the track!

Darrin

Tom A
11-21-2005, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Miller@Nov 20 2005, 08:54 AM
I can vouch for that one. It lasted all year until the last event when "someone" decided a cone needed to be moved. :023:
Hey now, it took a beating, but it isn't terminal. Ron smacked 2 cones on Saturday, beat it back into shape for the Sunday race, and drilled another errant cone Sunday. He is consistant though, all 3 cones hit in pretty much the same spot. :023:

This is how it looked Sunday afternoon:

http://www.shedracing.com/cone_valance.jpg

I built it to take abuse, and it has far exceded my expectations.

Tom

Andy Bettencourt
11-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Tom A@Nov 21 2005, 01:17 AM
Hey now, it took a beating, but it isn't terminal. Ron smacked 2 cones on Saturday, beat it back into shape for the Sunday race, and drilled another errant cone Sunday. He is consistant though, all 3 cones hit in pretty much the same spot. :023:

This is how it looked Sunday afternoon:

http://www.shedracing.com/cone_valance.jpg

I built it to take abuse, and it has far exceded my expectations.

Tom

Did better than the Miata in the background!!!

AB

darrinV
11-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Wow. Talk about hard core. I especially like the orange cone remains scraped along one side. ;-] I need to send this picture to a guy who did Bondurant with me. We called him the "Cone Killer".

D

Tom A
11-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by darrinV@Nov 21 2005, 09:54 AM
Wow. Talk about hard core. I especially like the orange cone remains scraped along one side. ;-]

That isn't cone residue, it is tape. The brake duct inlet on that side was closed from the back, but the plug didn't survive the first hit. The duct on the driver's side goes to the airbox (allowed by class rules).

Tom

RacerBill
11-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by JeffYoung@Nov 19 2005, 02:14 PM
Darrin, give me a call (919-286-8011). I've got a 260z, can help you with spoiler choices. As others have said, there are a lot of good, legal options out there.

NOW, riddle me this guys. GCR says you can cut two holes for a SINGLE 3" duct right? Most Zs I see run at least 4 ducts, 2 to the rotors and 2 to the calipers. Is this ok under the "brakes may be ventilated rule?"

I've always wondered about this. If you see the pictures of Chet Wittel's orange Z that won the ARRC a couple of years back, it looks to me like he has 4 ducts. My Z came with 4 ducts, and I'd like to get them, but wonder about the legality of it.....

Please don't forget that they have to be "total openings"!
GCR ITSC 17.1.4 D.8.b (pg 14) 'Where an air dam/spoiler is used, two total openings may be cut...'
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, I just can't let that one go!!!!!

Andy Bettencourt
11-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by JeffYoung@Nov 19 2005, 01:14 PM

Ok, let's use Darin's car that he just bought for reference: http://www.rcubedmotorsports.no-ip.com/images/nov22-2003.jpg

There are 4 ducts. 2 of them are integral to the airdam/spoiler. While they are molded, these IMHO count as the max 3" ducts you can cut. The other 2, above those - appear to be the brake ducts you can buy from Pegasus/etc. With no modifications to the front valence or airdam, I see these as legal as well.

I don't see any restrictions to the amount of ducts you can run to your brakes, just to the amount of customization you can make to a part you can legally install.

Then look at my attched pic of my RX-7. Those holes in the lower part of the bumper cover are stock. We (and most) use those for brake ducting. I submit I still have the option to cut two more holes for brake ducting as I haven't taken advantage of the allowance yet.

Two total openings may be cut...

AB

darrinV
11-21-2005, 09:57 PM
Hey, that's a great picture of my car! ;-] I just took delivery from Jeff today. Who'd have thought spare parts could take up so much room in a garage ....

PS - Anyone trying to sell their tow rig or enclosed trailer?

Thanks
D

Marcus Miller
11-22-2005, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt@Nov 21 2005, 07:39 AM
Did better than the Miata in the background!!!

AB

Yep.
That was my mentor's car..... 6 foot 6, rolled about 6 times at about 100 mph.
sore shoulder, whiplash, concussion, but otherwise okay.
Marcus

GnC
11-30-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Miller@Nov 22 2005, 12:37 AM
Yep.
That was my mentor's car..... 6 foot 6, rolled about 6 times at about 100 mph.
sore shoulder, whiplash, concussion, but otherwise okay.
Marcus

For what it's worth...I got a roll of sheet plastic from Performance Bodies. Built a front brace with two NACA air ducts for the brake hoses and covered the brace with the sheet. What I looked for the most was that it was no lower than the bottom of the front wheel and no higher than four inches above the center of the front hub.

GnC

Geo
11-30-2005, 11:16 PM
Hey, I couldn't let this go by.....

First time I've seen a pic of me on this board!

That was a fun race until just after S/F with 2 to go and a CV joint got ugly (almost crashed into someone out of the race on the side of the track it pulled so bad). I nursed it to the end and finished at least.

Those Factory Five Cobras were slow. Even with me in a gimp car I practically had to let off the throttle for one of them to get by me. :)

Tom Donnelly
12-09-2005, 06:14 PM
For what its worth, on a z your gonna need all the brake ducting you can get.

darrinV
12-11-2005, 04:27 PM
I can't believe it. Smack talk already and I haven't even made it to the track yet.

RFloyd
01-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by GnC@Dec 1 2005, 02:17 AM
For what it's worth...I got a roll of sheet plastic from Performance Bodies. Built a front brace with two NACA air ducts for the brake hoses and covered the brace with the sheet. What I looked for the most was that it was no lower than the bottom of the front wheel and no higher than four inches above the center of the front hub.
GnC

OK, I'm gonna bring this thread back because I'm getting ready to do my air dam and I want to make sure what I want to do is legal - and what I want to do is essentially what was described above, with the exception being instead of NACA ducts I want to use the rectangular ducts from Pegasus connecting to 3" hose, installed in an air dam made of the same plastic sheeting described above. For clarity's sake, here'a a picture of exactly what I'm planning, from my old car, the read and white Acura...

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3048/vir8vo.jpg

According to the wording of the rule, best I can tell, would lead me to believe this is actualy not legal. If the openings for the ducts were cut into the bumper cover it would be legal, but if the openings are cut into a lower air dam of any kind, they cab be no larger than whatever is required to attach a 3" dia hose. IMHO, this was an oversight because I'll bet the idea was that the air dam that they were envisioning would be something like the eurethane ones for the Z cars referenced in this thread, which had ducts moulded in, thus not neccesitating any description of how big of an opening allowed to be cut in.

Am I off base and reading too much into this?

ddewhurst
01-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Richard, when I read the brake cooling rules the words I read are 3 inch diameter BRAKE DUCT & I read 3 inch diameter BRAKE HOSE. & then I cut a 4 x 6 inch hole in the spoiler for the 3 inch NACA BRAKE DUCT. :023:

RFloyd
01-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by ddewhurst@Jan 25 2006, 01:51 PM
Richard, when I read the brake cooling rules the words I read are 3 inch diameter BRAKE DUCT & I read 3 inch diameter BRAKE HOSE. & then I cut a 4 x 6 inch hole in the spoiler for the 3 inch NACA BRAKE DUCT. :023:

See, that's my thinking as well, but the counterpoint is the "if it doesn't say you can, then you can't" argument that says that the rule actually only specifically says you can cut an opening that size in the front valence/bumper cover, not the air dam/spoiler. I think there should be a clarification to the rule to read that 2 openings of no larger than 5" x 7" each may be cut into either the bumper cover/valence or the air dam/spoiler if there is no extisting suitable hole or opening, in order to facilitate a maximum of 2 brake cooling hoses of no larger than 3" diameter each.

Whaddah ya think?

seckerich
01-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by RFloyd@Jan 25 2006, 08:40 AM
See, that's my thinking as well, but the counterpoint is the "if it doesn't say you can, then you can't" argument that says that the rule actually only specifically says you can cut an opening that size in the front valence/bumper cover, not the air dam/spoiler. I think there should be a clarification to the rule to read that 2 openings of no larger than 5" x 7" each may be cut into either the bumper cover/valence or the air dam/spoiler if there is no extisting suitable hole or opening, in order to facilitate a maximum of 2 brake cooling hoses of no larger than 3" diameter each.

Whaddah ya think?

There is no restriction on the air dam other than the body outline rule. If you want a bucket sized hole it is legal as long as it does not require you to make a bigger hole in the bumper. Air under and around the bumper is free!! You could legally have a scoop as wide as the car under the front bumper--still legal.

Greg Amy
01-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by RFloyd@Jan 25 2006, 09:40 AM
Whaddah ya think?
The air dam/spoiler is not subjected to the IIDSYTYC rule.

The air dam is an allowed modification as per 17.1.4.D.8.b ("A front spoiler/air dam is permitted.") At that point anything is allowed unless otherwise restricted (thus all the restrictions, and thus the evolution to splitters and diffusers.)

The reference to "two total openings" refers not to the air dam, but to the "valance", or nose if you will, of the car. There are no restrictions to openings within the added-on air dam...in fact subsection "b." specifcally states "[o]penings are permitted for the purposes of ducting air to the brakes, cooler, and radiator."

That, of course leads to an interesting rules conundrum: if you duct the hoses from your air dam - and not your valence - where is the size of that duct restricted? Answer: nowhere. The rule limits the size of the hoses only if the ducts come from the valance and not from the air dam; 17.1.4.D.6.b (allowed brake mods) allows simply "air ducts" with no size limitation.

(To further twist your panties, in spite of the stated rule there is no limitation for the use of "[d]ealer installed or limited production front... spoilers/air dams..." as long as they meet the other limitations...prove it was dealer-installed and not self-installed...)

- GA

RacerBill
01-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by GregAmy@Jan 25 2006, 11:12 AM

The air dam is an allowed modification as per 17.1.4.D.8.b ("A front spoiler/air dam is permitted.") At that point anything is allowed unless otherwise restricted (thus all the restrictions, and thus the evolution to splitters and diffusers.)

The reference to "two total openings" refers not to the air dam, but to the "valance", or nose if you will, of the car. There are no restrictions to openings within the added-on air dam...in fact subsection "b." specifcally states "[o]penings are permitted for the purposes of ducting air to the brakes, cooler, and radiator."

That, of course leads to an interesting rules conundrum: if you duct the hoses from your air dam - and not your valence - where is the size of that duct restricted? Answer: nowhere. The rule limits the size of the hoses only if the ducts come from the valance and not from the air dam; 17.1.4.D.6.b (allowed brake mods) allows simply "air ducts" with no size limitation.

(To further twist your panties, in spite of the stated rule there is no limitation for the use of "[d]ealer installed or limited production front... spoilers/air dams..." as long as they meet the other limitations...prove it was dealer-installed and not self-installed...)

- GA

Greg: 17.1.4.D.8.b continues:

Where an air dam/spoiler is used, two total openings may
be cut in the front valance to allow the passage of up to a
three (3) inch diameter duct leading to each front brake/rotor
assembly.
Where no air dam/spoiler is used, two total openings of a
maximum size five (5) inches by seven (7) inches maybe cut
in the front valance so that brake ducts can be added with a
three (3) inch diameter hose leading to each front brake/rotor
assembly.

RFloyd
01-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by GregAmy@Jan 25 2006, 03:12 PM

..snip..

- GA

Thanks! That's the clarification I needed to proceed comfortably.

Greg Amy
01-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Bill, re-read your post: both rules refer to holes "in the valence", not the air dam...there is no limitation to holes (number and/or sizes) in the airdam, nor any limiation to hose sizes when ducting air to the brakes from the added-on air dam... - GA

zracre
01-25-2006, 04:14 PM
exactly...It even says if no air dam is used you may cut bigger holes...the custom air dam is permitted as long as it follows the rest of the size and fitting rules.

jmark
01-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by darrinV@Nov 20 2005, 08:11 PM
Great info guys. It's actually not on my car. That's a stock photo from MSA. The urethane air dams definitely sound more survivable. I'm looking at ways to make it more aerodynamicaly efficient.

I made the decision this week and bought a 240Z set up for ITS. (photo attached) Can't wait to get it on the track!

Darrin

Darrin,
You bought a great looking Z car. Where will you be running it? Regards, Mark

lateapex911
01-25-2006, 09:18 PM
Greg, not to be argumentative, but I am losing you somewhere.

I think you're saying that I can cut away at my valence, and am not limited as I am using an air dam.

But the rule reads"

Where an air dam/spoiler is used, two total openings may
be cut in the front valance to allow the passage of up to a
three (3) inch diameter duct leading to each front brake/rotor
assembly.

Now I read it to say that "Where an air dam is used..." (thats what I'm doing), "two total openings may be cut in the front valence....."

Thats where I lose you. Where does it say I can cut, say four openings for TWO 3" ducts?

I hope this is me being stupid and not reading the rules at face value!

Here's a pic of my car. Under the air dam is the stock bumper cover which curves downward, and indeed has two opeings (louvered) in it from the factory. If I duct under it, I am breaking the ride height rule ..(and being dumb).

Greg Amy
01-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911@Jan 25 2006, 08:18 PM
...I am losing you somewhere.

There are two cases when/where you can cut holes and use brake ducts: with and without an air dam.

First, the rule in the brake section - 17.1.4.D.6.b - says you're allowed to use air ducts as long as there are no other changes to the body/structure. Thus, barring any further restrictions, there are no limitations in terms of number and/or size.

Second, the air dam rule - 17.1.4.D.8.b - specs out how you can make the air dam, and allows openings in that air dam for ducting air to the brakes. There are no listed limitations as far as number and/or size of these ducts.

Third, however, further down that same section specifies that IF you DO use an airdam, you may cut holes in the valence of the car, and if you do cut holes in the valence, you are limited to two holes which route air via 3 inch ducts. Note that this does NOT further limit what you can do if you cut holes in the air dam, only the valence.

Side note: the "valence" of the car is the downward/rearward sloping original body part, typical what you would mount the spoiler to on the front and below the radiator support. "Valence" does NOT incorporate any add-on air dam.

The last paragraph of that same section specifies how you may cut holes in the valence of the car, and IF you DO NOT use an airdam yet DO want to cut these holes in the valence, you are limited to two holes of 5x7 inches which route air via 3 inch ducts.

So, again, 17.1.4.D.6.b allows brake ducts but does not restrict them further, 17.1.4.D.8.b allows holes in the factory valence of the car and restricts those modifications to the OEM part. There are NO RESTRICTIONS to what you can do vis-a-vis holes and ducting if you do it entirely in the air dam and leave the factory parts alone.

Using your photo as an example, you added ducts to the air dam, which is the part mounted (screwed?) below the center of the OEM bumper cover (I'm guessing that's the factory dealer-optional air dam?) In your case, AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT MODIFY THE ORIGINAL PARTS OF THE CAR, you can make those ducts and hoses as large as you like. HOWEVER, if you choose to modify the original valence to route the hoses, you are limited to a 3" duct.

Capiche? - GA

lateapex911
01-25-2006, 10:37 PM
caprice! or something like that. So in my case I MUST go thru the valence (noo other way) so I am limited. thats what I thought, LOL.
thanks!

ddewhurst
01-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Greg, did you get my number ?

***Capiche?***

No-capiche, I'll get back to it later when I have more time. ;)

kthomas
01-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Don't forget on a Z most aftermarket air dams replace the valence, which is not legal to remove, so you usually have to engineer something to mount the air dam. The Wittel car mentioned on the first page of this thread was built before ANT cutouts were allowed in the valence, and yet it still had THREE 3" ducts going to each brake. Four from the cutouts located in the air dam (and snaked arouond the intact stock valence) and two mounted behind the grill. Like Mr. Donnelly says, if you come to Road America or Road Atlanta you need all the ducts you can get on a Z. Eventually. :smilie_pokal:

tom91ita
01-28-2006, 11:35 PM
GnC
[/b]

did you use the plastic similar to this?

http://www.performancebodies.com/store/pro...%5Fid=2202%2D10 (http://www.performancebodies.com/store/product.asp?dept%5Fid=150&pf%5Fid=2202%2D10)

how did it work for you?

tia, tom