PDA

View Full Version : ARRC tech question

Joe Harlan
11-14-2005, 05:34 PM
I have never been back there so I am curious. Do the tech folks do post race tear down like at the national runoffs? If so how many do they pull apart?

Knestis
11-14-2005, 06:03 PM
Not from firsthand knowledge, but from observations this past weekend...

They appear to list some things that may be "looked at" in the supps. Then, specifics are announced for each race. They took intake and exhaust manifolds off of the top three in most(?) of the IT classes, and the head off of more than one first-place finisher, I think. They tore the winning SM down to the crankshaft, looked like.

K

philstireservice
11-14-2005, 06:33 PM
I heard it wasn't as extensive as in past years...... :rolleyes:

charrbq
11-14-2005, 06:40 PM
We've been there almost every year (not gloating, just fact). The higher you finish, the more they tear down. The farthest was to the short block. This year they didn't do that much. They were in a big hurry to get to the SM crowd. I think that by the time they got to ITS, they were beginning to take their time again.
I've been to impound at the Runoffs, and they tore down to just as much as they do at the ARRC...normally.

lateapex911
11-14-2005, 08:10 PM
I actually spoke with the cheif of tech as to his plans and actions, and he told me this much:

Manpower issues meant that teardowns were not as severe as other years.
I don't know what was or wasn't done in C, B or SM, but I did hear and see the winning SM car in lots of little peices. Flywheel was a checked item for instance.

In A it was an intake off port matching check, IT7 got the usual header off intake w/carb off looksee, presumably with the "lolipop" and visual inspection.

ITS had heads pulled, intake port matching checked, and the rotaries had the headers pulled for a visual, but they have no lolipo for the 13B, so really, porting is an even bigger unknown for the 13B than it is for the 12A. (The lolipop can only tell you so much)

IT doesn't see much in the way of inspections, as far as I know, across the country, so it's great to have things checked.

I didn't hear of any issues, (except one poor guy, who thought he finished 7th which the announcer said, but was 6th, and was DQ-ed for not reporting to impound.)

Joe Harlan
11-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911@Nov 14 2005, 05:10 PM

I didn't hear of any issues, (except one poor guy, who thought he finished 7th which the announcer said, but was 6th, and was DQ-ed for not reporting to impound.)

I think there needs to be an award for this.......DOH

Geo
11-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Joe Harlan@Nov 14 2005, 06:36 PM
I think there needs to be an award for this.......DOH

FWIW, IIRC the same thing happened last year under slightly different circumstances. Same results though.

Bill Miller
11-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Manpower issues meant that teardowns were not as severe as other years.

Either there's a standard, or there isn't. To me, this is stuff that should be sorted out loooonnnggg before the race weekend. As far as the extent, or focus, on the SM teardowns, that would seem to make a great case for sealed motors.

BTW, were there any competitor-filed protests?

lateapex911
11-15-2005, 12:00 AM
Bill, I sometimes think that an unknown level of teardown at the ARRCs would be the ideal situation. If you don't know if they will do everything...or nothing, how will you prepare?

There were no competitor protests that I was aware of, but that is by NO means a complete view.

Bildon
11-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Agreed. The element of surprise keeps people honest.

RSTPerformance
11-15-2005, 12:39 AM
next year without SM maybe we will see more teardowns?

Raymond

Joe Harlan
11-15-2005, 01:58 AM
Agreed. The element of surprise keeps people honest.

Does it? I have seen stuff tried when they know they would get pulled down.

Bill Miller
11-15-2005, 07:10 AM
I don't think the "gee, what will they look at this year?" philosophy holds any water. If the ARRC is really supposed to have the prestige that so many attribute to it, you really need a compliance check similar to the Runoffs. The head should probably come off all the podium cars. Joe's right, people try and sneak stuff through when they KNOW that it will get looked at. And the flip side of the 'surprise' approach is "Hey, they checked that last year, they probably won't check it this year!"

Raymond,

Was there an announcement that there will be no SM cars at the '06 ARRC?

gran racing
11-15-2005, 10:55 AM

Ah man. When I heard my name being called to impound, I thought it was due to the incident with Sam Moore but that was not the primary reason I was being called down. The steward told me I failed to show to impound. Yes Kirk, I heard a huge "But I Was Seventh!!" - nope, guess I was sixth. Yes Greg and Matt, the next thought was Matt Damon (that South Park you showed me was funny!).

I think everyone from the NER went to impound no matter what place they finished in after my experience. Mark Carpenter said he was going no matter what place he thought he finished in. <_<

bobpink
11-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Bill Miller@Nov 15 2005, 11:10 AM
Was there an announcement that there will be no SM cars at the &#39;06 ARRC?

The Spec Miatas may be back next year as Pro SM or something like that. It is in the exploratory stage right now and we&#39;ll see what happens. A little discussion about it over at specmiata.com. These guys really enjoy the ARRC and want to come back.

lateapex911
11-16-2005, 02:00 AM
yeah, I commented during the Enduro that we should enjoy what might be the best ARRC ever, as the SM boys wouldn&#39;t be back next year. What is the policy on this?

RSTPerformance
11-16-2005, 02:14 AM
Bill-

SM is now a National class, This is a Restricted Regional, only allowing regional classes.

Bob-

Maybe you should investigate the northeasts version of SSM,it is very popular in the Northeast, and I don&#39;t think it is hard to have your SM converted to run in SSM. I am not the person to check with though.

Raymond

bobpink
11-16-2005, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by RSTPerformance@Nov 16 2005, 06:14 AM
Maybe you should investigate the northeasts version of SSM,it is very popular in the Northeast, and I don&#39;t think it is hard to have your SM converted to run in SSM. I am not the person to check with though.

The info I mentioned about the possibility of some kind of SM class returning to the ARRC came from the discussion on the Spec Miata website and don&#39;t know anything more about this.

Bill Miller
11-16-2005, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by RSTPerformance@Nov 16 2005, 02:14 AM
Bill-

SM is now a National class, This is a Restricted Regional, only allowing regional classes.
Bob-

Raymond

Somehow, I think they&#39;ll figure something out, so they don&#39;t lose those ~50 additional entry fees. Either that, or I would imagine everyone else will have to open their wallets a bit more to help cover the lost revenue.

emerilnut
11-30-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Bill Miller@Nov 16 2005, 12:20 PM
Somehow, I think they&#39;ll figure something out, so they don&#39;t lose those ~50 additional entry fees. Either that, or I would imagine everyone else will have to open their wallets a bit more to help cover the lost revenue.

Yeah, most of them will come back and enter as A cars.

and they&#39;ll also get a chance to be back on Hoosiers (when in an ITA race) as Toyos become the spec tire for SM next year.

charrbq
11-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Well, coming back as ITA&#39;s will give more Integra and CRX&#39;s a chance to run in the first 50% of the group, but, as much as I hate racing with the SM&#39;s, and as much damage as I feel they&#39;ve done to the IT ranks...they do put on a good show. A nice combination of good driving in well presented cars and poor driving in junk-mobiles. ;)

JeffYoung
12-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Thread jacking a bit, but what is the difference between SSM and SM? I&#39;ve always wondered.

Thanks guys.

Knestis
12-09-2005, 10:18 PM
It&#39;s my understanding that the former is "Showroom Spec Miata" - a local response to national SM rules that were more liberal (read, "expensive") than a bunch of SM early-adopters wanted. They run with more restrictions than the "real" SM cars.

K

JeffYoung
12-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Got it, thanks Kirk.

Jeff