PDA

View Full Version : How often you guys Blow your Tranmission?

Devil-fc
11-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Recenly I got my 5.1 Final drive install, with Guru LSD, and I bring her to local race track to test, and from 10 laps. I start hearing some funny noise coming under the car, and about 1 corner later I try to down shift from 4th-3th and with heal and toe, and I heard a big bang... and my MT is blow... so I take it down to pit for further inpecition. car will go to each gear fin, but when you are in 3 gear. you car wont able to move .... and during idiling you can hear there are noise coming from transmisson..

My CAR is 1987 Turbo 2 FC BASE, with 13BPP.

just wonder how often you guys heard this problem? and should just buy another use MT and put it on or I should rebuild or reinforce it ?

its66
11-10-2005, 01:05 AM
I don't know about the TII transmissions, but the N/A transmission seem to be the weakest link. Scattering one on downshift is pretty common. I always bring a spare. Treat it nice and it will live longer. When you match the revs on downshift, remember to bring the rev's up so as not to shock the drivetrain when you let the clutch out.

Why'd you have to show us all a pic of that ported, Turbo beast?? Now all the NA guys are jealous. Looks like fun :023:

joeg
11-10-2005, 10:21 AM
When I wrenched on (and sometimes co-drove in) my freind's Pro Rally RX-3, I think that perhaps one or two events would go by before it would start getting a "balky" shifter and deteriorate quickly from there.

Indeed, "co-driving" took on a whole new meaning with that tranny--often times it meant you assisted with the upshift or downshift! It actually got quite balky.

Definitely a "weaklink" but being very gentle with it will help considerably.

11-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Mine lasted 8 laps shy of a full season. 10 races and 4 DE's.

The last race of the season was a 100 mile race and I lost 4th gear with 16 miles to go. Kind of sucks going from 3rd to 5th.

Steve