PDA

View Full Version : My truck needs brakes, ...

lateapex911
11-06-2005, 10:31 PM
The truck is a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500... Rear wheel drive, 5.3L automatic. Pretty standard stuff. I tow my 22' enclosed trailer with it, and the brakes on the trailer are great, but, the stock brakes on the truck are nearing the end of their useful life, and before I am out in the snow changing pads, I want to be proactive.

So...whats a good pad. I am more interested it the typical racer stuff, LOL, good feel, and no fading. I would prefer they don't squeal like a pig, and that they aren't particularly rotor hungry, but I am not looking for pads to last until the next decade....

Thoughts? Experiences..both good and bad?

Joe Harlan
11-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by lateapex911@Nov 6 2005, 07:31 PM
The truck is a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500... Rear wheel drive, 5.3L automatic. Pretty standard stuff. I tow my 22' enclosed trailer with it, and the brakes on the trailer are great, but, the stock brakes on the truck are nearing the end of their useful life, and before I am out in the snow changing pads, I want to be proactive.

So...whats a good pad. I am more interested it the typical racer stuff, LOL, good feel, and no fading. I would prefer they don't squeal like a pig, and that they aren't particularly rotor hungry, but I am not looking for pads to last until the next decade....

Thoughts? Experiences..both good and bad?

Jake, I am a Hawk dealer....Not trying to sell you anything here though. Hawk has a new line of SUV and towing pads. I have a set ordered for my 99 dodge 2500. I can see if they are available for you application and let you know. I would also recommend you get rid of that whimpy little 1/2 ton and get a real tow rig.... :023:

JLawton
11-07-2005, 08:57 AM
I've used Performance Friction and Hawk. I like the Hawk's much better. I don't have a good feel for rotor wear however....

philstireservice
11-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Jake,

I tried the Superstop line from Raybestos this year on my Ford F250 Diesel...I was very happy.

mlytle
11-07-2005, 03:56 PM
i put the full system from www.praisedyno.com on my k2500 suburban. huge improvement over the stock junk.

VW16VRacer
11-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Jake

I just put a set of Hawk SPS pads and power slot rotors on my Dodge Dakota and I love them, great bite and no noise. I had a set of P/F and Brembo cross drilled rotors and I like the Hawk pads better than the P/F. Now the Dakota's are known to warp rotors and my cryoed Brembos were better than most of the 5 sets of rotors the truch has had on it in 95K miles but I am wating to see how the power slots do. I haven't towed with them yet but I think they are going to be good. Recomend the Hawks.

Jon

mgyip
11-09-2005, 01:08 PM
After warping rotors on my F350 with factory pads, I switched to Porterfield's street compound with great results. When they finally wore out, I went with PFC's Z-Rated pad which I had used before on my previous K1500 GMC.

The biggest selling feature of PFC is that AutoZone (or was that Advance Auto, I can't ever get them straight) can special order them in a few days at no additional cost.

Joe Harlan
11-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Jake, I will be installing the Hawk LTS compound this weekend on my truck. I'll let you know on these as soon as I test them. Will a written report be ok or do I need to put the Pi system in the tow vehicle.... :P

lateapex911
11-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Thanks guys...I was hoping to keep it somple, just pads...no changing discs, or as Joe would like, entire chassis!

I actually like my truck as is, because all the mid mileage 2500s and 3500s I drove, or have been in feel like they are falling apart and are full of rattles and squeeks, and drive like crap too!. I think the stiffer springs just beat the body and mounts to death.

I will add some bags to get around the rear spring issue, and who knows, maybe a supercharger someday, but for now, I drive it daily, but only tow maybe 7 times a year.

let me know Joe!

dickita15
11-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by lateapex911@Nov 9 2005, 09:06 PM
I drive it daily, but only tow maybe 7 times a year.

maybe you should work less and race more. :rolleyes:

handfulz28
11-10-2005, 12:16 PM
I know it's hard to consider, but the OEM pads are actually pretty good, IMHO.
I had a '99 NBS (new body style) and after 95k miles the pads looked like they had another 100k on 'em. And I drove the shite out of that truck, both towing and daily driver.
Now I've got a 2001 3/4 ton Yukon XL with 132k miles, 21k miles of that this year so far. The original pads still have at least half the material. While I've slowed down a little bit in this truck (496ci sure is thirsty), I'm still a bit of a late-braker.
The brakes on the old style GM trucks might have s*cked, but the new trucks are real good.
If you can't get jobber pricing from your local GM dealership, there's a few online outlets with good prices. Quick check on front pads (18048101, verify correct part #) shows $77.50 plus S&H; rear pads (18045936, verify) $67.50. Looking over my parts list that rear pad # is for SUVs which use a two-piston caliper, so expect a different #, but price should be comparable.
HTH
Michael

JamesB
11-10-2005, 01:07 PM
I think it also depends on what your towing. I know with my titan stopping even when I dont have the gain set (forget to turn it up at first sometimes.) its not an issue. But your talking about a ET15 with a 2200lb car on it. Now I have towed with Matthew and his beast of a trailer. Even with the gain set properly on the brake controller the trucks brakes have to do a LOT more work to slow that 28ft beast of an enclosed trailer he has.

For me the titan is known to warp rotors, some say its because the rotors are too small, I think its just a bad choice in brand (axis) and a pad that gets way to hot way too easilly and is dustier then any pad I have ever used. For that reason when I do wear these out PFC Z rates and qualty rotors will replace them just for the lower dust alone makes it worth it.

mowog
11-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Joe, I would like to know how the Hawk's work. I have the HPS on the Audi and love 'em. Was thinking of putting a set on the tow truck, although I have no complaint (yet) on the stock brakes. Please let me know if Hawk makes a set for a 2005 3500 Silverado (dually).

For anyone interested, Randy Canfield is about to sell his 2003 3500 dually, Pewter color. It has about 15000 miles (only used for towing a 20' enclosed), and it's in excellent condition, with all maintenance done on it - generally before it's scheduled. Standard options include: LS package, cloth bucket seats with Bose stereo, AM/FM/Cassette/CD, LSD, "redundant" steering wheel controls (radio, computer, etc. on the steering wheel), tow package, extending heated mirrors, probably more. Extras include Rhinoliner, mudflaps, tall color matched cap (I think it's the tallest one sold), a manual and an electronic lock for the tailgate (electronic works with the key fob). Selling for Kelly blue book - something like $22,700. Oil change and lube done yesterday. Contact me if anyone is interested or wants more information.