PDA

View Full Version : Pinto rear wheel bearing?

AjG
11-05-2005, 08:15 PM
I need to replace a rear wheel bearing on my Pinto, The bearing retainer is tack welded to the axle. Is this a standard race mod? (Seems like a good idea) Can I just grind the weld off and reuse the axle or is it junk? Does this weaken the axle?
I'm new to live axle cars so any advice would be great.
Also, I was bumped pretty hard in the rear quarter before the bearing went, but the wheel and axle aren't bent... Is it possible that the axle was pushed straight into the housing and crunched the bearing? Maybe just a coincidence???
Thanks
Aj

Joe Craven
11-05-2005, 09:15 PM
I don't think welding the rear axle is technically legal but it should work fine if you are careful when you grind it. Don't dig into the axle and leave nicks which can create stress concentrations. I agree that getting hit will load the bearing and it was probably getting close to going anyways.

Fix it and run it again.

No, I don't weld the collars on my Capri axles but not sure if there are issues with Pinto collars coming loose under racing conditions.

AjG
11-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Well the other rear bearing was junk too so it wasn't the bump that did it. Guess I need to check those ever once in a while...
Anyway, Does anyone out there weld the bearing retainers/collars to the axle?
i'm still curious about this. Good, bad, dosen't matter???
Aj

bill f
11-07-2005, 01:49 PM
On Welded retention collars:

Generally a bad idea fostered by many who are not IT racing. It weakens the axle and leaves it prone to stresses it does not have when uniformily heat treated (at the factory).

The retention collars don't come off. If one is concerned about the collar staying in place, simply double the collars...one next to another for double the retention.

Removal is relatively simple. Create a "flaw" in the collar with a grinding tool...don't go deep enough to touch the axle...and place a hardened chisel into the flaw and "strike smartly". You can run the cutting wheel diagonally across the surface of the collar.

Good racing.

Bill

AjG
11-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Bill, Do you think I should go for new axles since these were welded?
If so, any idea where to get them, (8" rear, 28 spline axle) I haven't seen much 8" ford stuff on ebay.

From what I can find online, welding the bearing collars seems to be circle track thing... I wonder why they have problems with losing the axle???
AJ

Joe Craven
12-05-2005, 04:00 AM
I just had my first collar come off my axle. Bearing seems fine although it started working its way down the axle. It was my body that must have kept the wheel and axle assembly from coming out of the rear end. Perhaps I'll try the 2nd collar method next time.

Dick Elliott
12-05-2005, 01:59 PM
JOE! I've been welding the collars to the axle for the past 30years with no problems. I only use three (3) spot wells on each collar. Each one about the size of a green pea. Works for me, and never had a failure of any kind. DICK.