PDA

View Full Version : What size Hoosier Dirt Stocker for first gen?

Ben 84 RX-7
10-28-2005, 10:53 AM
I am looking for a set of Hoosier Dirt Stockers for rain tires for next year, and plan to put them on the stock rims for my 84 RX-7. Anyone know what size choices are out there that will fit this rim? Also, are the dirt stockers only good for heavy rain? How are they for a wet track and light mist/rain?

Thanks!

lateapex911
10-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Ben 84 RX-7@Oct 28 2005, 10:53 AM
I am looking for a set of Hoosier Dirt Stockers for rain tires for next year, and plan to put them on the stock rims for my 84 RX-7. Anyone know what size choices are out there that will fit this rim? Also, are the dirt stockers only good for heavy rain? How are they for a wet track and light mist/rain?

Thanks!

hey Ben-

Go to Hoosier dot com and check out the specs and see what suggested rim width is for the different sizes. The stock rim is 5.5". At that width, you are dedicating the concept to hydroplane rejection, not to intermediate racing.

The dirt stockers have been great in deep water, and on COLD tracks, but are known to go away when it dries. They aren't known as great "damp" tires. Many say that you should see reflections on the track before running them, or be sure it's going to get wetter as the race wears on.

Hoosier has a new tire for the rain, and they claim it's as good as the dirt stocker in a deluge, but better in semi wet conditions, when shaved.

Check out the NE regions threads regardign the NARRC races as this was discussed there.

Ben 84 RX-7
10-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Thanks again Jake!

philstireservice
10-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Ben 84 RX-7@Oct 28 2005, 10:53 AM

Thanks!

If it's a 15" rim ...use 205/50D15......if its only damp you will want to run the DOT WETS....when it really starts to rain or the track it wet with standing water and it's not gonna dry...you'll want the Dirt Stockers.....

Ben 84 RX-7
11-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by philstireservice@Oct 31 2005, 07:50 PM
If it's a 15" rim ...use 205/50D15......if its only damp you will want to run the DOT WETS....when it really starts to rain or the track it wet with standing water and it's not gonna dry...you'll want the Dirt Stockers.....

It's a 13" rim...but like Jake said it is only 5.5" wide. I would love to get another set of panasports, but I have stock wheels for free! I was wondering what the best width people were happy with if they were using stock rims.

philstireservice
11-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Ben 84 RX-7@Nov 2 2005, 10:21 AM
It's a 13" rim...but like Jake said it is only 5.5" wide. I would love to get another set of panasports, but I have stock wheels for free! I was wondering what the best width people were happy with if they were using stock rims.

205/60D13......DS

Tak
11-29-2005, 07:14 PM
Dirt stockers are deluge tires only. If a dry line appears, they will chuck and go away in just a few laps. Seriously.
But in a deluge, they are awesome!
I've also run 205/13 full depth Toyos on both 7" and 5.5" rims. On the small rims, they are terrible. On the wide rims, they are good rain tires. If you actually intend to race in the rain (as opposed to just drive around and finish), get yourself some 7" rims. Don't worry about their weight--or looks, just get some 7 inch rims!

Tak
#29 ITA SFR

charrbq
11-30-2005, 03:27 PM
I run 13x5.5 rims on my 205/60x13 dirt stockers. They work excellent! I've never had to use them in a down pour, but they work great in a steady rain. Just remember to soften your suspension. I've run them on banked ovals during rain with no problem, but if the rain stops, so will you...soon. If you can find puddles, do. It won't keep them from going away, but will help them to wear smooth rather than chunk. The only down pours I've run in started after the green flag when I took the chance and started on dries. Bad idea.

CaptainWho
12-02-2005, 09:55 PM
Our rule of thumb is to run them only when the cars are throwing spray up off the track. If the track is drier than that, we run intermediates or regular Hoosiers.