PDA

View Full Version : 13x6 wheel sources for '85 CRX Si?

tom91ita
10-27-2005, 12:43 PM
any decent wheels out there in the 13x6 range?

i will be posting in the WTB section too.

joeg
10-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Panasports

charrbq
10-27-2005, 03:13 PM
Experience with Panasports on a Honda Civic and CRX says that 13x6 won't work. Been there, tried that. The back spacing on the one piece wheel is too deep and puts the tire hanging out in the breeze. They are a quality wheel, but are marginal on the front and way illegal on the back. I know of one racer of a CRX that runs 13x5.5 on the rear with a smaller tire to make the rules.

I tried to go with modular Panasports, but, beyond the cost, the Hoosiers wouldn't work well on them. They are designed for canterlevered slicks.

The guy I bought my car from had scrounged wheels from every manufacturer in the world. Best and lightest set were street wheels from Progressive, but he got them on close out a few years ago.

Good luck.

Greg Gauper
10-28-2005, 01:49 PM
13x6 Panasports have worked fine on my 84 Civic for the last 6 years. Don't know why they suddenly won't work according to Chris???? I know of several 84-87 Civic/CRX's that are running them with no problems.

FWIW - I had no problems in ITC trim. I have since converted to G-Prod and added 15mm H&R spacers to provide clearance between the strut and the tire (cantilevered Hoosier 20x8 slick). Again, they work fine, but I do need fender flares with the Hoosier slick & spacer to be legal. The first year I ran Prod, I ran on 20x7 Avons with no spacer and no flares and was still legal.

Chris - Are you aware that you can get the one-piece Panasports in different offsets?

Tkczecheredflag
10-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by tom91ita@Oct 27 2005, 04:43 PM

I also like the Panasports for my 86 CRX. I run 185x60x13 Hoosiers and I have no "legal" issues. Keep in mind that if the tires pertrude out fo the wheel wells (which mine do not), that the contact patch is the issue for legality. If you run the tires through powder and the white of the powder does not go outside the wheel wells you're okay, that's my understanding of teh rules. Camber should help with this issue. This is not to say that you won't have tire rub, as I did with the 205x60x13's which is one reason I opted for the 185's.

charrbq
10-28-2005, 06:02 PM
I run 225/45R13 Hoosiers. The contact patch extends beyond legal range. As for the one piece wheel in various offsets, I was told by the dealer that they only came in one offset for that size wheel. He sent me a "sample" that petruded out to the fender edge without even havinng a tire mounted on it. Yes the fenders have been "extended" to the maximum rules allow. A teammate of mine used a set with the same wheel tire combination...beautiful wheel...stuck out like a sprint car. The chief of tech let him use them for several races at his local track, but he eventually told him to change them before the next race, or he wouldn't let him run.

I've seen two people run Honda CRX's in ITC with both Panasports and Superlites (similar to Panasports), both were 13X6, both pertruded beyond the fender well extensively, and both were told not to run them again. With that info and the major dealer in the US telling me that the only thing I could get wouldn't work, I take that to mean just exactly that.

Revolution also makes a 13x6 wheel that will work on Hondas. I have a friend that runs them and loves them. However, I've heard of the center punching out on them. Not a good thing. The only people I've heard complain of that drove VW's, and that was some time ago.

I'm sort of amazed that someone actually found 13x7 rims for a former ITA Honda. Used to have one, and we were forced to run 13x6 to get tire clearance.

Tkczecheredflag
10-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by charrbq@Oct 28 2005, 10:02 PM
I run 225/45R13 Hoosiers. The contact patch extends beyond legal range. As for the one piece wheel in various offsets, I was told by the dealer that they only came in one offset for that size wheel. He sent me a "sample" that petruded out to the fender edge without even havinng a tire mounted on it. Yes the fenders have been "extended" to the maximum rules allow. A teammate of mine used a set with the same wheel tire combination...beautiful wheel...stuck out like a sprint car. The chief of tech let him use them for several races at his local track, but he eventually told him to change them before the next race, or he wouldn't let him run.

I've seen two people run Honda CRX's in ITC with both Panasports and Superlites (similar to Panasports), both were 13X6, both pertruded beyond the fender well extensively, and both were told not to run them again. With that info and the major dealer in the US telling me that the only thing I could get wouldn't work, I take that to mean just exactly that.

Revolution also makes a 13x6 wheel that will work on Hondas. I have a friend that runs them and loves them. However, I've heard of the center punching out on them. Not a good thing. The only people I've heard complain of that drove VW's, and that was some time ago.

I'm sort of amazed that someone actually found 13x7 rims for a former ITA Honda. Used to have one, and we were forced to run 13x6 to get tire clearance.

Chris - Again I run the 185's and they are no where near the outer edge of the well. I used to run the 225x45x13 Hoosier, but when the new tire came out last year there weas no way. I even tried teh 205' again no way. Decided that I didn't need all that tire anyway and it was probally slowing me down on the starigaway. We like the skinnies they work and slide just right. Have a look when I see you at RA/
I also have a set of Revolutions - again no problem with the 185's.

charrbq
10-29-2005, 07:11 PM
What's good for you isn't always what's good for everyone and vice-versa...that's why Hoosier makes different sizes. My teammate is Gareth Rebstock...you might have heard of him. Except for carberators (an item that will change next season), we run pretty much the same stuff...as do most of the front runners at the ARRC.

You might be right about the 185's over the 225's in the straight, though. I ran against a similar car to mine at Daytona and he could slowly pull me on the oval. He was running the 185's. I tore him up on the infield though. I would've been able to have gotten away from him had my car not picked up a stumble out of the horseshoes. He spun going into the chicane, and I got by him. Overheated his tires?

Anyway, the question was asked, and I responded with what has worked for me and the problems and solutions I've had. Didn't know it would cause such a stir.

racer-025
10-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by tom91ita@Oct 27 2005, 04:43 PM

my racing buddy, John has a set of 13x6 Panasports forsale. they are MINT and I think he wants $500. You can reach him at 902.883.7875

Tkczecheredflag
10-29-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by charrbq@Oct 29 2005, 11:11 PM
What's good for you isn't always what's good for everyone and vice-versa...that's why Hoosier makes different sizes. My teammate is Gareth Rebstock...you might have heard of him. Except for carberators (an item that will change next season), we run pretty much the same stuff...as do most of the front runners at the ARRC.

You might be right about the 185's over the 225's in the straight, though. I ran against a similar car to mine at Daytona and he could slowly pull me on the oval. He was running the 185's. I tore him up on the infield though. I would've been able to have gotten away from him had my car not picked up a stumble out of the horseshoes. He spun going into the chicane, and I got by him. Overheated his tires?

Anyway, the question was asked, and I responded with what has worked for me and the problems and solutions I've had. Didn't know it would cause such a stir.

I didn't see your comments as a stir, and thought it made for some good bench racing. I guess I was surprised that you had seen a couple of CRX's with Panasports that had bulging tires. I haven't seen that before with the 185's or even with te old 225's. They stay tucked under the wells pretty good.

Yes I've heard of Gareth over the past few years, and heard he runs very well with an ARRC ( maybe more) to his credit I beleive.
Funny I was told that some of the front runners were using the skinnies tires. As far as over heating the tires, I've not run into that problem before, maybe I'm just not driving them hard enough. I like the Hoosiers for that reason they are very predictible. I usually put 5 - 6 heat cycles in them and toss em, and trhey work fine.

What was your comment about the carb's referring too???

charrbq
10-29-2005, 11:57 PM
Rebstock runs a Weber DGAV 32/36, I run a Wber DMTR 34/34. His makes horsepower, mine's more drivable...so I was told. Some people have great luck with it, I haven't. We just haven't been able to get it tuned two days in a row. He's put hours, days, weeks, months, and years into getting his right. I bought one just like his since the race seems to never end in the turns.

We run courses that never seem to have enough short straights to take advantage of the drivability part of it.

At last year's ARRC, six of the first 5 cars ran 225/45R13 or 225/50R13 Hoosiers in ITC. Only one car ran (I believe) 205/60's on the front and 185/60's on 5.5 Panasports. I said he likes the way it handles and couldn't get the 6" Panasports to fit under the rear???!!! The Hoosier guys just shake their heads when they hear of his setup. B)

Tkczecheredflag
10-30-2005, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by charrbq@Oct 30 2005, 03:57 AM
Rebstock runs a Weber DGAV 32/36, I run a Wber DMTR 34/34. His makes horsepower, mine's more drivable...so I was told. Some people have great luck with it, I haven't. We just haven't been able to get it tuned two days in a row. He's put hours, days, weeks, months, and years into getting his right. I bought one just like his since the race seems to never end in the turns.

We run courses that never seem to have enough short straights to take advantage of the drivability part of it.

At last year's ARRC, six of the first 5 cars ran 225/45R13 or 225/50R13 Hoosiers in ITC. Only one car ran (I believe) 205/60's on the front and 185/60's on 5.5 Panasports. I said he likes the way it handles and couldn't get the 6" Panasports to fit under the rear???!!! The Hoosier guys just shake their heads when they hear of his setup. B)

Now that's intersting. I can't stuff the 225's under my car. The 185's seem to be the only tires that fit properly. Maybe that speaks to you points of the wheels. what kind do you use again? I haven't tried my DGAV Weber, I still run the stock carb and that works well for me. I was thinking I might bolt on the Weber for the test day. I think I'll have my hands filled learning the track (I feel I am a slow learner)

RFloyd
10-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by charrbq@Oct 30 2005, 03:57 AM
At last year's ARRC, six of the first 5 cars ran 225/45R13 or 225/50R13 Hoosiers in ITC.

6 of the first 5.... hmmm..... I'd say that's pretty much everybody! ;)

charrbq
10-30-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Tkczecheredflag@Oct 30 2005, 11:50 AM
Now that's intersting. I can't stuff the 225's under my car. The 185's seem to be the only tires that fit properly. Maybe that speaks to you points of the wheels. what kind do you use again? I haven't tried my DGAV Weber, I still run the stock carb and that works well for me. I was thinking I might bolt on the Weber for the test day. I think I'll have my hands filled learning the track (I feel I am a slow learner)

I've got a set of Borbets (heavy), unknowns (also heavy), and Progressives (no longer available). Good luck on just bolting on the carb. Without the proper tuning, they can be a bitch. We tried it once, but didn't have time to match my engine with the carb jetting. It takes a lot of development time. Car ran like doodoo.
I really recommend you stick with your stock setup during the race and practice. I'm really slow to learn a course having only ran R/A twice with no practice day. I left with my tail between my legs both times, but knew where I could pick up at least 5 seconds per lap. I was going to do the practice day this year, but I want to save the car for the 6 hr enduro the next weekend at TWS. ;)

Tkczecheredflag
10-30-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by charrbq@Oct 30 2005, 05:56 PM
I've got a set of Borbets (heavy), unknowns (also heavy), and Progressives (no longer available). Good luck on just bolting on the carb. Without the proper tuning, they can be a bitch. We tried it once, but didn't have time to match my engine with the carb jetting. It takes a lot of development time. Car ran like doodoo.
I really recommend you stick with your stock setup during the race and practice. I'm really slow to learn a course having only ran R/A twice with no practice day. I left with my tail between my legs both times, but knew where I could pick up at least 5 seconds per lap. I was going to do the practice day this year, but I want to save the car for the 6 hr enduro the next weekend at TWS. ;)

I might take your advice on the carb. Actually I need to fabircate/weld the mount for the trottle cable - haven't done that yet. I thought I might bolt on duting the last session just to see.

Thanks for your insights - see ya soon.

R2 Racing
10-31-2005, 09:40 AM
I have a set of 13x6 Panasports that fit on our '85 Civic. I can put 225/45's on them and I have no clearance problems. The fronts fit underneath the fenders without any problem but the rears are pretty close. The rears stick out just a little bit but as the rule is written, you can roll the car through a powder and the contact patch is indeed underneath the fender. Other than those wheels we've pieced together some other sets from Mugen, Enkei, and Kaiser.

Either of the DGV or DMTR carbs are not trivial when it comes to setting them up correctly. I have one of each and it took about 2 years of testing, running, dynoing, etc to get them running right. The DGV does make the most power but the DMTR is much more driveable (differences in the float design). It really is a matter of what track your at on which one will equate to a better lap time. You have to drive both of them slightly differently too.

ITC Racer
11-22-2005, 10:06 PM
I run Borbet 13x6 on my ITC CRX and with the 185/60-13s have no clearance issues nor does my father with his panasports on a similar car...

The revolution issue I am told does not occur on the 13" wheel since this is a different casting- I hope this is true since I also have a set of these...

With the carbs- we also run the weber 34/34 and have no issues no matter the temp outside or conditions. We are in WI and run from April to Oct so snow may be an issue up to 90+.