PDA

View Full Version : Adapting cable shifter to 020 transmission

racer14itc
10-26-2005, 09:23 AM
First, let me state that this is for my GP Scirocco, not an IT car.

You VW gurus: is it possible to adapt a later model cable shift mechanism (02A?) to an 020 gearbox? I'm tired of the crappy shift linkage on the 020 gearbox and am exploring options. In production, I can use any shift linkage I want. In fact, I can use the 02A transmission if I want to, if that is an easier option. I have a lot invested in 020 custom gearsets so I want to keep those !!

thanks for any advice or input.

If you want to contact me directly about this, Scirocco14gp AT Bellsouth DOT net

MC

Bill Miller
10-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Mark,

As much as I hate to say it, I'd poke around on VWVortex. You'll probably get some good info there. (Did I just say that??? :119: )

racer14itc
10-26-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Bill Miller@Oct 26 2005, 01:31 PM
Mark,

As much as I hate to say it, I'd poke around on VWVortex. You'll probably get some good info there. (Did I just say that??? :119: )

Yeah but I'm just so afraid I'd end up with "bling" on my Scirocco... :figo:

MC

Ryan Williams
10-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Mark, sell me the 020 close-ratio stuff and then use the 02A tranny.

Seriously, I will have to think about this some. An adapter plate could be fabricated to transfer the cable motion to operate the 020 linkage on the tranny.

Just will take some thinking on our (you & me) part. Cheers, Ryan.

Conover
10-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Have you thought about using different materials to duplicate the 020 shift linkage? Running a cable shifter has it's problems too. Spherical rod ends, I've been thinking about that for a long time, since I saw someone in a VW mag from the UK with a custom built shift linkage. Send me a check and I'll get to work on it.
:D

racer14itc
10-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Conover@Oct 26 2005, 11:35 PM
Have you thought about using different materials to duplicate the 020 shift linkage? Running a cable shifter has it's problems too. Spherical rod ends, I've been thinking about that for a long time, since I saw someone in a VW mag from the UK with a custom built shift linkage. Send me a check and I'll get to work on it.
:D

Yep, that's another option I'm exploring. The cable shifter is "simpler" and eliminates the problem of relative motion of the engine/transaxle to the car affecting the linkage. I'm using firm but flexible engine/transmission mounts to minimize vibration through the car but maybe it's time to make some spherical bearing mounts. :023: That would help a lot with the shifting.

MC

Bildon
10-26-2005, 08:57 PM
>> is it possible to adapt a later model cable shift mechanism (02A?) to an 020 gearbox?

Not really. The 02A/02J shifters use 2 push/pull cables. The 020 box needs the shift forks to be moved in 2 directions which are 90 deg to each other in addition to them having multiple function per attachment. Did that make sense? I don't think the cables have enough "oomph" to push the selector in and out on the 020 anyway. They'd buckle.

The better bet would be to use the newer 02A transmission in its entirety.
You don't have to add a clutch master cylinder unless you want to. They can be made to work with a vw factory clutch cable conversion.

The selection of race parts for the 020s is nearing zip. They're just not being produced any longer. The gear sets, R&Ps and diffs for the 02A are still in production AND are cheaper. The 02A is also stronger.

See photo below of 020 to 02A conversion kit
The kit is designed to use the original under-dash clutch cable. Includes new 5 speed 02A transmssion. Now geting it to mount to a 1.xL engine instead of a 2L hmmmmm