PDA

View Full Version : Computer/Video gurues...

RSTPerformance
10-25-2005, 05:53 PM
ok, a lot of people on this site are smart with computers and this whole video thing....

I have a JVC digital camera (model GR-DVF 21). It uses those Mini DV tapes. I am trying to convert some video's into something that I could share here on the net. (some great video from last weekend ITB NARRC race).

The computer I have is a new Dell laptop with every feasable port thing on the back known to anyone who hasn't a clue about computers... I also have Windows Movie Maker installed.

I planned on using the windows movie maker as it seems very easy to use. The only problem that I have is that the computer will not recognize the camera in the setup screen where you add scanners/cameras (windows movie maker can't locate it either) when it is pluged into it. I have tried multiple differnt connections including S-video, some PC conection that came with the camera, and dv in/out.

Do I need a "twain driver" or something of the sort??? if so I have searched everywhere for it, but can't find the right one that will work.

Raymond "you know you want to see it" Blethen

imported_Webmaster
10-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Wasn't it you that said you were 'young and knew how to do electronic searches' ?? :D

Google is your friend.

http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Tutorials/Index.aspx

tcpip
10-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Use the DV In/Out port. It's actually a Firewire/iLink/IEEE-1394 port. The camera probably has a 4-pin port and the computer either a 4 or 6-pin port. It should just work. When I plugin in my camera Windows is like, 'What do you want me todo with the device? Start Movie Maker, Nero Capture, or do nothing?" If I choose Movie Maker, it asks me (after some nonsense about other crap) which device to capture with. That's it. Surprising it just works. But I still like my Mac better. Btw, I'm using Windows XP.

7racing
10-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by RSTPerformance@Oct 25 2005, 09:53 PM
ok, a lot of people on this site are smart with computers and this whole video thing....

I have a JVC digital camera (model GR-DVF 21). It uses those Mini DV tapes. I am trying to convert some video's into something that I could share here on the net. (some great video from last weekend ITB NARRC race).

The computer I have is a new Dell laptop with every feasable port thing on the back known to anyone who hasn't a clue about computers... I also have Windows Movie Maker installed.

I planned on using the windows movie maker as it seems very easy to use. The only problem that I have is that the computer will not recognize the camera in the setup screen where you add scanners/cameras (windows movie maker can't locate it either) when it is pluged into it. I have tried multiple differnt connections including S-video, some PC conection that came with the camera, and dv in/out.

Do I need a "twain driver" or something of the sort??? if so I have searched everywhere for it, but can't find the right one that will work.

Raymond "you know you want to see it" Blethen

Raymond....Call me....or email me...or whatever. We can discuss and figure out how to make your laptop do what you want it to do. Just try to be smarter than the equipment you use. :bash_1_:

Jeremy

RacerBill
10-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by 7racing@Oct 26 2005, 10:31 AM
Raymond....Call me....or email me...or whatever. We can discuss and figure out how to make your laptop do what you want it to do. Just try to be smarter than the equipment you use. :bash_1_:

Jeremy

Ray: Hi from Columbus! Give me a call or send a PM with your phone # (didn't get it at MidOhio)

I used a regular old 8mm video camera, an analog to digital convrter and burned a killer DVD of my driver's school (no in-car though). I am going to add music and narration this winter.