PDA

View Full Version : TWS 6-hour

Chris Taylor
10-24-2005, 07:02 PM
http://www.sowdivscca.org/entryforms/LE_TEXAS_MANS_2005.pdf

Get yer entries in now in case it fills up! I know there's some yankee's planning trips down. The TWS 2.9 track ranks up there with Hallett and RAtl (IMO) with enough technicality to give the advantage to a smooth driver and enough straight to check gauges and put all that dyno time to good use. :happy204:

I'll be there in an Miata [boo... hiss] for the enduro, and maybe my Spec7 for the Regional on Saturday.

jhooten
10-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Chris Taylor@Oct 24 2005, 11:02 PM
http://www.sowdivscca.org/entryforms/LE_TEXAS_MANS_2005.pdf

Get yer entries in now in case it fills up! I know there's some yankee's planning trips down. The TWS 2.9 track ranks up there with Hallett and RAtl (IMO) with enough technicality to give the advantage to a smooth driver and enough straight to check gauges and put all that dyno time to good use. :happy204:

I'll be there in an Miata [boo... hiss] for the enduro, and maybe my Spec7 for the Regional on Saturday.

Chris,

Don't count the Miata out. A SM has won overall at that event.

Chris Taylor
10-25-2005, 05:57 PM
I know, but I'm an RX7 guy. I'll be sure nobody snaps any pictures of me driving such a girly car... don't want any evidence of that floating around! B)

jhooten
10-25-2005, 08:19 PM
What is the car number? (as I load the Nikon with a fresh roll of high speed film) :P

I should be running the regional. See you at the track.

x-ring
10-26-2005, 08:27 AM
I wish diesel fuel wasn't so damn expensive :angry: $3.389/gallon this morning.

jhooten
10-26-2005, 12:15 PM
$2.84 at the shell in town and going down. But that is no excuse, it took me over $100 worth to get the the race in Fort Worth last weekend. A dedicated racer would bite the bullet and hit the road. :P

x-ring
10-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by jhooten+Oct 26 2005, 10:15 AM-->
$2.84 at the shell in town and going down.

[/b]

So why is it so high here? I smell prce fixing. :blink:

<!--QuoteBegin-jhooten@Oct 26 2005, 10:15 AM
A dedicated racer...

Well, ya got me there.

jhooten
10-26-2005, 07:45 PM
The average is about $3.00, there are some stations that are still at $3.30. You have to remember that it takes a lot of fuel to haul the tankers up the mountains so they have to add in the extra transportation cost.

But what gets me when I make the trip back west is the difference in premium. I get 93-94 octane premium here. In west Texas The premium is 89 octane and cost 2-4 cents a gallon more. &#39;splain me that one.

Just a reminder Ty, I have done a RMD event. Still waiting to see you at a SWD weekend. :D

Chris Taylor
10-27-2005, 01:37 AM
$3 a gallon!?! I thought the stuff to brew up biodiesel made it only $1/gallon??

/checks VW TDI prices again...

The 6-hour is a barrell of fun... with the Regional you&#39;re looking at putting over 600 miles on the racecar. You can&#39;t get that much track time in Texas in one weekend any other time of the year! B) (well... without renting the track for yourself...)

jhooten
10-27-2005, 10:34 AM
I&#39;m running the regional to burn up the rest of the V700s so I have an excuse to buy a new set of V710s for the march race. Oh and the 20th is the last day of the Renfest and someone wants to go that day.

That and the car needs a little more development before it will be able to keep tires under it long enough to run more than 30 minutes at a a time and I have not been invited to co drive with any one else.

Hey Ty want to do a 6 hour next year?

x-ring
10-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Well, maybe. Your car or mine? Would I fit in your car? We had to get pretty creative with the cage in my Z to fit me in it.

I&#39;d love to run an enduro, but until this year my car was not reliable enough to run six (or even four) hours straight. Going the other way, most people&#39;s cars are too small for me. See if you can find somebody in the paddock this weekend about my size (6&#39;-04", 235 lbs) and have them test fit the supra for me.

jhooten
10-27-2005, 06:21 PM
You might have to sit with your knees to your chest but you could fit in mine, but at this point I think your&#39;s may be a bit faster than mine. And by the time next year&#39;s endure rolls around I may have finished the basic GT2 (since my motor is to big for production) conversion.

BTW, any ideas where I can find 16X10 or 16X12 wheels for our cars?

And not to leave Chris out, You still haven&#39;t told me what the number of your car will be for the enduro so I can get some good pics for you.

Chris Taylor
10-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Should be #50, black and with silverish-gold hardtop and accents. There&#39;s a couple lookalikes...

x-ring
10-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by jhooten+Oct 27 2005, 04:21 PM-->
You might have to sit with your knees to your chest but you could fit in mine, but at this point I think your&#39;s may be a bit faster than mine. And by the time next year&#39;s endure rolls around I may have finished the basic GT2 (since my motor is to big for production) conversion.

[/b]

A GT car? Cool.

Is there any way you can put the seat on sliders ? B)

<!--QuoteBegin-jhooten@Oct 27 2005, 04:21 PM
BTW, any ideas where I can find 16X10 or 16X12 wheels for our cars?

http://www.kodiakracingwheels.com/prices.html

A little spendy though.

jhooten
10-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Chris Taylor@Oct 28 2005, 02:55 AM
Should be #50, black and with silverish-gold hardtop and accents. There&#39;s a couple lookalikes...

I&#39;ll er sure to get a few good shots of you in the Miata to post on the SRX7 board. :P

IPRESS
10-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by jhooten@Oct 28 2005, 04:13 PM
I&#39;ll er sure to get a few good shots of you in the Miata to post on the SRX7 board. :P

I can&#39;t wait to see Chris behind the wheel of the girly car. (He is a secret girly car admirer!) Anyonio expects you to drive it like the manly SRX7 racer you are. Myron and I are so intimidated that we may run ITS instead. :119:

Chris Taylor
10-29-2005, 02:28 AM
You&#39;re a funny guy, Mac. Even funnier when I read your posts with your Texas drawl! :D

I&#39;ve already driven an SM once, but not at any great speed. I have been terrorizing the streets of Austin in my &#39;93 (that is, until I chucked the waterpump belt :bash_1_: ) so I may end up a leg up on everybody when it&#39;s race time.

I&#39;ll be sure to wave when I go by! ;)

Chris Taylor
11-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Here&#39;s my writeup:

My arms are too sore and my ears ring too badly to come up with an outline for this story, so it is presented in whatever format comes up with as I recall what happened. My Regional race was an uneventful one, except for the part where the left front hub races weren’t seated, loosening the whole thing up, and making my qualifying session one incomplete lap. Starting from the rear I made it up to 8th in class and 16th overall. Not a bad showing, but nothing really eventful. Well, except for that start where the Baby Grand’s hood flew up, and he drove 50 miles an hour down the straightaway, cars dodging left, right, and almost through him. Yeah, uneventful.

The enduro practice and qualifying sessions were also short for me, with us not putting enough gas in. This lead to early worries about mileage, since the car had 2 or 3 gallons for each session and finished neither. In both sessions there was a lot of carnage and unnecessary aggressive driving, compounded by a Black Flag All in the qualifying session thanks to massive carnage in 9. I ran a 2:07 in the first part, and only had 2 laps in the second before it started to sputter. The 2:07 was good enough for 43rd spot, out of nearly 60 cars.

Sunday morning, Antonio took his car out with a full tank of gas to warm up and give me an idea how it handled with the full tank. We checked the night before to ensure the rear wasn’t on the bump stops, and it wasn’t. After the session we refueled, checked obvious stuff, and headed to grid. Antonio told me it was a little loose with a full tank, and with that, we headed for the start. They harped on everybody behaving for the quarter mile before the line, and everybody seemed to do so as 60 cars started a 6 hour race. I was caught sleeping for the second time this weekend, and had a very poor start. The first 30 minutes or so were uneventful as I watched SRF’s bash into other cars, until we got to our second or third full course yellow. The first lap after the green, just before T12 (or whatever you want to call the kink before the esses in the infield) the car veered right and I held the steering wheel, straight, in my hand. Steering inputs made no difference, and I soon discovered why as I vigorously attempted to re-attach the steering wheel (thinking the whole time, “You dumb-ss, you didn’t check the steering wheel before the start”). When I made it to the oval, I saw the real reason for the whole mess… the hub adaptor had broken all the welds clean off. Steering the car back to the pits with the remainder of the hub, I was informed to get the car out of the middle of the pit road. I handed the guy the steering wheel, and said, “You try it”. After grabbing some vice grips Antonio took the car back to the garage and I searched for a welder. Fortunately Tony Lee had one in his trailer, and I commenced stick welding the thing back together. In the garage, while we reattached the hub adaptor we refueled the car and sent Antonio out when all was said and done. After his 2-hour stint, I jumped back in and ran another 2 hours, leaving Antonio the last 30 minutes. We knew we didn’t need a full tank, putting in what we thought were 6 gallons but turned out to be somewhere south of 5 as Antonio sputtered around the last 2 laps culminating in a Nigel Mansell push across the finish line.

Many thanks to Aaron for helping us refuel and crew, Antonio for the car, Tony for the welder, my mom for food, and my dad for having the scanner glued to his ear. We had a few 2 stops under double yellow to help us make up some ground. Can’t wait till next year!

jhooten
11-21-2005, 10:47 PM
So what/who won this year? I would like to have been able to stay and waths the eduro but had other commitments for sunday.

Oh, and I managed to complete on of my goals this week end on the way to my second in class finish, I finally finished a race on the lead lap ( and laped the 3hird place car in class twice). Now to gain a few more (10) seconds a lap and be able to run with the 911.

AntonioGG
11-22-2005, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by jhooten@Nov 22 2005, 02:47 AM
So what/who won this year?

SRF 1st and 3rd
SM 2nd (one lap behind...lost the lead with 3 laps to go)

x-ring
11-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by jhooten+Nov 21 2005, 07:47 PM-->
Now to gain a few more (10) seconds a lap....

[/b]

Damnit Jerry - I almost spit coffee all over my keyboard when I read that. You really should preface that kind of stuff with a warning...

<!--QuoteBegin-jhooten@Nov 21 2005, 07:47 PM
Oh, and I managed to complete on of my goals this week end on the way to my second in class finish, I finally finished a race on the lead lap ( and laped the 3hird place car in class twice).

Congratulations. I know it&#39;s been a long road for you. Those kind of things are the stuff you remember always, or at least I do.

jhooten
11-22-2005, 01:33 PM
Damnit Jerry - I almost spit coffee all over my keyboard when I read that. You really should preface that kind of stuff with a warning...

What stuff Ty? I was being perfectly serious. ;)

BTW, when did we start loosing or monopoly on this forum? All kinds of Newbies post here all of a sudden. (Just kidding Guys. Ty and I made up about oh 95% of the post here for a long time. Nice to see some others making their wisdom avaliable in here.)