PDA

View Full Version : Construction @ VIR

Conover
10-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Anyone know what the new buildings at Pit In are going to be? Just curious. We saw the construction when we went up for Grand Am. Pretty hefty looking construction.

JeffYoung
10-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Condos I believe.

Harvey
10-24-2005, 06:20 PM
I do some work at the track and was told that they are going to be enclosed garages.

Les

Conover
10-25-2005, 04:42 PM
I wonder if they need enclosed garages in order to attract a particular series. It's just a weird place to put anything.

JeffYoung
10-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Still think condos (I'm a club member and I think I saw it in the newsletter), but I may be wrong.

If they are thinking Nextel Cup....hahahahahahahahaha.

iambhooper
10-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Jeff, my dad is "semi retired" and flags for the track a lot. He told me that they are going to be condo's with enclosed garages.

The thing I haven't figured out is how you sell a condo on property that is leased (the track).

As for the location... I think they messed up and should have put some grand stands instead of condo's there. They could have built condo's down the way a bit.

See ya at the track!
hoop

Bildon
10-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by iambhooper@Oct 25 2005, 06:04 PM
The thing I haven't figured out is how you sell a condo on property that is leased (the track).

In a condo don't you really only own from 'paint to paint' ?

JeffYoung
10-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Hoop, is your Dad Dwight? If so, tell him Jeff says hello and I bet his information is right on.

I am an attorney, have some experience with condo law. Typically, the condo owners have sole ownership interests "paint to paint" as Bildon says. However, they all share an undivided equal interest in the common areas -- walls, stairs, grounds, etc.

So, hoop, you are right. No idea how that will mesh with the property being leased. I wouldn't buy one, that's for sure (not that I could afford one) for that reason alone unless someone came up with a pretty elegant solution for what to do if the lease ran out/got terminated.

racerb
10-25-2005, 09:33 PM
Hey all talked a security guard at the Rolex weekend, he said the lower level (track) is going to be weightroom, next level (grid) garage space, top level condos. He said same thing as everybody else, it's a terrible location, and is not going to make life easy for control or timing to see turn 17.

racerb :blink:

JeffYoung
10-25-2005, 09:34 PM
AND, the River is down there!

iambhooper
10-25-2005, 10:28 PM
No the "condo's" are in the paddock. If they ever get flooded, then everything from 16 to 9 will be under water. You may have noticed in May, that they had moved the Armco (drivers right) at pit in, out from the fencing. This was to give them room to build. It will all be clear in a few days anyway.

No, Doug Hooper is my dad. He sometimes paddock nazies with dwight and Scoob... most of the time he flags. Was it march or may that you guys paddocked with Bill, Heather and I? You probably met him then.

Did you ever get the triumph fixed? Should I rig up some tear offs for the windshield of the honda? :D

JeffYoung
10-25-2005, 10:36 PM
I got it -- inside the track by 16-17? A shame, that used to be a good view from the false grid watching cars come down roller coaster. No more I guess.

I think May was the TR8 attempt where I paddocked with Heater, et al. We have a running motor in the TR8 that does not smoke voraciously and does maintain oil pressure. However, it has ignition woes. Last ditch attempt to sort tonight and Thursday, so I hope to be there this weekend.

iambhooper
10-25-2005, 10:51 PM
no, it's in the paddock. you know there was the one corner on the front row, where you could padock your car and trailer and watch the rolercoaster, false grid and start (right where false grid and pit in merge)? that's where the condo's are going.

good luck with the ignition. my car's all ready to go on the trailer. i think im getting used to this honda reliability stuff... vs working on the fiat until the last moment, only to have it explode at the track.

Phat-S
10-31-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by racerb@Oct 26 2005, 01:33 AM
Hey all talked a security guard at the Rolex weekend, he said the lower level (track) is going to be weightroom, next level (grid) garage space, top level condos. He said same thing as everybody else, it's a terrible location, and is not going to make life easy for control or timing to see turn 17.

racerb

Wouldn't it only be like 5 or 6 units long? And was it just an optical illusion looking at the doorways between walls or were there door openings at the pit level which I'd presume would open out to the pits?