PDA

View Full Version : More noob questions

Jay_Taylor
10-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Hello everyone;
Ive been lurking around this site for a while..
learnd a lot but I also got a few questions..that are a little oddball
1) Why is there a limit to class cars that are 5 years old or older.
for example I would not mind at all being able to buy a cheep new car like the Chevy(Daewoo) Aveo slap some stickey rubber, coil overs and a cage and go play. Yes I know thats a little simplistic view, but you get the idea.
2) Is there any chance that Hybrid or Non Gas cars will be classed in IT or is there no interest in it.
A Toyota Prius would make for an "interesting" IT car.

thanks for your time.

Hammer
10-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Newer cars run in a national class like SSB or SSC.

Jay_Taylor
10-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Hammer@Oct 24 2005, 01:25 PM
Newer cars run in a national class like SSB or SSC.

I understand this, and know thats the standered off the shelf responce.
I was just putting it out there to find out why for this class.
Because as far as I know you can class new cars in GT and Production..just not IT.
BTW a super ecano car like a Chevy Aveo or Scion xA I dont think would work to well in SSC or SSB, no where close to enough HP.

Greg Amy
10-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Taylor@Oct 24 2005, 04:40 PM
I understand this, and know thats the standered off the shelf responce.
I was just putting it out there to find out why for this class.

"Back in the old days" when IT was started, it was envisioned as a place for expired Showroom Stock cars to play. At the time, SS cars were only eligible for 5 seasons before being de-classed; thus, their eligibility for IT after 5 years. - GA

RSTPerformance
10-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Jay-

Way back in the day I think it was the idea of keeping the IT class "afordable" and to give SS cars a place to play once they were no longer SS (national) eligible.

that was long before $30,000+ IT cars...

I think that SCCA should look at expanding IT cars eligable and newer than 5 year old cars for sure, but I think that it will be hard to change the minds of the higher ups, as you have to ask why change something that isn't broken... while many hear think things are broken, the class is still arguably the least broken groupe of classes in SCCA... High number all across the country...

Don't hesitate to becomeing a member and putting in a request that a change be made... you never know :)

Raymond "go for it" Blethen

Jay_Taylor
10-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by RSTPerformance@Oct 24 2005, 01:56 PM
Jay-

Way back in the day I think it was the idea of keeping the IT class "afordable" and to give SS cars a place to play once they were no longer SS (national) eligible.

that was long before $30,000+ IT cars...

I think that SCCA should look at expanding IT cars eligable and newer than 5 year old cars for sure, but I think that it will be hard to change the minds of the higher ups, as you have to ask why change something that isn't broken... while many hear think things are broken, the class is still arguably the least broken groupe of classes in SCCA... High number all across the country...

Don't hesitate to becomeing a member and putting in a request that a change be made... you never know :)

Raymond "go for it" Blethen

Thats the picture i got when looking around.
I dont want a "spec" class, they have for some reason bugged me.
I was looking for somthing that wont kill my wallet, but also a class that i could "play" with the car a little, thats why im looking at IT
Ill probly end up with an honda product or a SOHC 240sx as they could be had for cheep and huge used part avalibility.
It will be built as a street legal car here in cali.
I have no dreems of winning with this set up, just to have fun
BTW: i have a huge ego as far as my driving goes, just I am realistic about my chances;)