PDA

View Full Version : Master Off Switch

RacerBill
10-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Any suggestions about the new requirement to shield the terminals on the Master Off Swotch? My first thought is to enclose it in some non-conducting material.

JamesB
10-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by RacerBill@Oct 21 2005, 10:43 AM
Any suggestions about the new requirement to shield the terminals on the Master Off Swotch? My first thought is to enclose it in some non-conducting material.

overthinking, just get some heat wrap, slide it over the wire, reconnect all the terminals pull the wrap up to the end of the terminals and shrink them down. Just have to slice it if you ever need to pull that apart again but it will shield just fine. Thats the route I was going to take, better then trying to build a box around the back of the switch.

Greg Amy
10-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Exactly. All of my exposed postive terminals are encased in either heat shrink tubing, terminal boots, or high-grade electrical tape (I like the self-fusing silicone tape such as http://www.rescuetape.com/).

I find it incredulous that some of you guys out there have exposed positive terminals and cables...just imagine what would happen if your battery was short-grounded in an accident! AT BEST you would hope for a battery to simply melt, and I can think of a lot worse things that could happen... Do yourself a favor and fix it BEFORE 1/1/06. - GA

Speed Raycer
10-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Sounds like a perfect time to reroute my switch!

JamesB
10-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Well I just bought my car, and a quick check of the switch revealed its not insulated from contact on the main terminals. The batt terminal has no boot but that isnt my biggest worry since well if that shorts the battery is likely crushed and leaking and already a fire hazard.

I have a few winter projects for my ITB car. I need to get my camera going, I have the rebuild pictures but none of the how it currently sites pictures. My school is next week though, and I am ready to go.

joeg
10-21-2005, 01:19 PM
Liquid electric tape.

Good product and easier to apply than heat shrink.

jhooten
10-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Put it in the negative lead?

m glassburner
10-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Mine is on the negative side :023: So do I need to insulate it?? I don't think so....

Greg Amy
10-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by m glassburner@Oct 21 2005, 03:30 PM
Mine is on the negative side :023: So do I need to insulate it?? I don't think so....

That's true, however I caution you to put in a very good quality fusible link on the positive lead, right on the battery terminal. If, in a crash, your master switch get compromised or smashed against the chassis or rollcage, you will have no way to disconnect the battery from the electrical system. If, further, the batter is compromised, you're in the same position as those with a grounded positive lead and no way to shut it off...

Further, a more-practical reason for insulating it anyway: unless you have an easy way to prove to the Tech inspector you've bisected the negative and not the positive lead, you're in for a hell of an argument... - Greg

chuck baader
10-21-2005, 04:20 PM
You must insulate the positive terminal..remember, the chassis is ground.

Thanks for the link about the shrink tape...would have ordered had they not forced me something I did not need to get something I wanted...detest those business practices :bash_1_: Chuck