PDA

View Full Version : Is this the Voltage Reg?

tom_sprecher
10-17-2005, 08:07 PM
What are these? My guess is the "check relay" on the left is the voltage regulator and the two back two back relays next to it are "who knows?" This part of the wiring does not jive with the Haynes manual and I'd like to know what I'm dealing with here.

Picture removed to increase global space left

ddewhurst
10-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Ok, fair enough on the picture.

Tom, being that you have a Haynes manual look at the wire colors at the car & compare to the manual.

I have an 85 & my two things at the left location would be the Choke & Check relay (silver tin) & Hot start relay (black). I think there are only two things. The Hot start relay is history when the Hot start motor got thrown out. but I left it in place.

tom_sprecher
10-17-2005, 08:19 PM
You responded before I could fix the lack of an attachment or thumbnail. They are on the LH inside wheel well next to the brake booster on my '83 RX7

Thanks,

RP Performance
10-18-2005, 06:43 AM
I think that the black on eis the AC relay and the silver should be the check relay.

dickita15
10-18-2005, 06:48 AM
on a 1st gen i believe the alternator has an internal voltage regulator.

dyoungre
10-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Concur - Black one is choke relay on an '83. Mine went bad; if I pulled on the choke, all of the lights on the dash would light up; release, they went out.

tom_sprecher
10-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Sorry for anyone here late but I had to remove the picture to add one to another thread.

Anyway, what is the check relay and what does it do? I can not find any matching description or wiring in my Haynes manual.