PDA

View Full Version : 1980 Transmission Problems

Weaver7
10-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Need some help. we have a 1980 RX-7 which in the last to races I haven't been able to finish. Both occurances happened at the glen during the race fluid starts coming from the top of the trans at high speeds. Always seems to start occuring after 4 or 5 laps into the race the cockpit fills with smoke. We aren't overfilling the trans so I have ruled that out. Is there a gaskets that I'm missing???????

The car did this at WGI in September to we opted to but in a new ISC trans which worked excellent but the damn fluid starts coming out the neck which runs onto the exhaust and then I get that wonderful smell of burning trany fluid!!!! Please keep in mind when I changed the trans I used the same shift lever from the old trans not sure if that is causing something wrong or not.

I really would like to finish the next race.... :(

ddewhurst
10-17-2005, 02:18 PM
***the damn fluid starts coming out the neck ***

What do you mean by "out the neck" ?

Does your shift lever fit directly to the rear trans housing or does your shift lever fit to some extension stuff which is added to the rear trans housing ?

Weaver7
10-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by ddewhurst@Oct 17 2005, 06:18 PM
***the damn fluid starts coming out the neck ***

What do you mean by "out the neck" ?

Does your shift lever fit directly to the rear trans housing or does your shift lever fit to some extension stuff which is added to the rear trans housing ?

It fits directley to the trans housing. By the neck I mean the location where the shifter mounts to the transmission.

ddewhurst
10-17-2005, 08:10 PM
***Does your shift lever fit directly to the rear trans housing or does your shift lever fit to some extension stuff which is added to the rear trans housing ?***

You said the shift lever fits directly to the trans housing. Then just ahead of where the shift lever fits the trans housing you have a steel cover that has 4 screws. This tin cover on my trans has a gasket between the cover & the trans housing. Correct...........same on your trans. The trans I have has no shift lever (it's missing) but it looks like there is Silicon gasket material on the trans housing. If we are talking the same trans oil/grease sure could leak out of the shift lever cover without a gasket or Silicon seal gasket. Make sure the boot from the shift lever cover to the shift lever has no holes.

I would use a gasket material & make a permenate gasket. If the shift lever cover that fits to the trans housing is steel & if it's bent that could add to your issue. If it's bent try to straighten it.

But, you said your trans is a ISC trans so why don't you call Mike at ISC tell him the year trans you have & ask if you should use real gasket material or Silicon gasket material.

On my 81/85 transmissions I do not use anything to leak proff the shift lever cover to the trans housing. It's a different deal than the 79/80 connection for the shift lever to the trans housing. On all othe closing surfaces on the 81/85 transmissions I use Silicon gasket material.

By the way this trans I have was given to me with another 81/85 trans from a racing friend. He had no conclusive idea which Mazda it fit. I have presumed it's an 79/80 from other pictures I have viewed.

Chris Taylor
10-19-2005, 02:14 AM
David -- the 79/80 transmissions are just slightly shorter than the later trans. This is why you need to cut a half inch off the tunnel of your 79/80 if you fit a later trans in (well... it makes it so you don't yell obscenities and strip the sticker of the guy that built the car off the car...) :unsure:

Weaver7
10-19-2005, 09:28 AM
But, you said your trans is a ISC trans so why don't you call Mike at ISC tell him the year trans you have & ask if you should use real gasket material or Silicon gasket material.

Actually I found what I'm missing there is a gasket that goes underneath the plate...Thanks for your help guys.