PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid

Roy Dean
10-15-2005, 11:04 AM
I was telling some friends about the "ford super duty blue" brake fluid that a bunch of people had recommended to me when I first started doing track events, maybe 5 years ago (I always got by perfectly with the valvoline synpower, so never bothered to fix what wasn't broken).

However, one friend responded with this:

Roy, I used to use that Ford HD fluid in the 1 liter sized blue cans... then Ford went and changed the packaging into small plastic white bottles with red and black writing. Do you know if it's still the same stuff?

Also, about that same time I started seeing some blue cans that looked just like the Ford stuff showing up in Autozone under a different name but with the same boiling points...

When I did a lot of track events I really liked using that Ford stuff, I'd love to find it again or know if it's still the same stuff on the shelf.

Anybody know the answer?

Marcus Miller
10-15-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Roy Dean@Oct 15 2005, 08:04 AM
I was telling some friends about the "ford super duty blue" brake fluid that a bunch of people had recommended to me when I first started doing track events, maybe 5 years ago (I always got by perfectly with the valvoline synpower, so never bothered to fix what wasn't broken).

However, one friend responded with this:
Anybody know the answer?

I'm going with yes; I run the Ford fluid that is white with red lettering in my pro7 (its a brake abusing whore) :) and have never had fluid issues.

Marcus

Knestis
10-16-2005, 09:00 AM
I've used nothing but Ford HD stuff in IT, SS, and similar cars for (OMG) literally more than 20 years. They changed the part number from the old CAZXXXXXXXXX designation to an easier-to-remember number (PA1?) but it's just as good as it's always been. Go to your Ford parts desk and ask for their super-duty stuff. My guys give me a "case" discount - a half-rack, actually, of 12 bottles.

K

Bill Miller
10-16-2005, 10:08 AM
I think it's been documented that the Ford HD stuff is the same as Motul 550. A few years ago, someone compiled a list of all the popular brake fluids out there, and the specs on the Ford HD and the Motul 550 were identical. I've never used the stuff myself, as I use ATE Super Blue. Slightly higher specs that the Ford HD / Motul 550, and I get it pretty cheap. The other nice thing, is that they have the same stuff in yellow (AP 200 IIRC), so it's easy to see when you've flushed out all the old fluid.