PDA

View Full Version : Where would it fit ??

m glassburner
10-14-2005, 03:44 PM
I know it's turbocharged....but where would the vw tdi golf be classified? Some specs I have seen...100 hp,149 ft. lbs.?? Weight similar to the gas version ?? Perhaps ITB ?? I'd even be happy to see it in ITA the first year,just to make sure it's not an overdog. What are your thoughts ???

Knestis
10-14-2005, 04:19 PM
It's an overly simplistic answer - and not the one you want to hear - but it just doesn't fit because of the turbo. With the IT allowances for brain tweaking, turbos (fuelie or otherwise) have the potential to make WAY more power than in stock form, so classification would be a huge guessing game - at least for a while.

Now, personally I'd LOVE to see it have a place to run. I'd race one on "greasel" power - recycled resturant fryer oil - and get sponsorship from Bojangles.

K

Banzai240
10-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by m glassburner@Oct 14 2005, 07:44 PM
I know it's turbocharged....but where would the vw tdi golf be classified?

Currently, ITE... if your Region supports that class...

I don't anticipate Turbos in IT anytime soon, but then, I didn't know that cage rules were changing for IT either... so what do I know... :blink:

bullydog
10-15-2005, 10:18 AM
Good question..

I had a 98 TDI and with a re-programmed MAP (allowed in IT), it made somewheres around 120 HP. Not a huge revver, but torque out the wazoo. Now, I expect that you could improve it even more with a larger downpipe, port-matching, and a free flowing intake. If you did all this, I expect 140-150 isn't out of the question.
Heck VW has a 1.9 in europe making 150 out of the box!!
So, I'm gonna guess it'd be kind of between A and B. Could be a neat B car if you added some weight (say 2450-2500 lbs).

Wouldn't it be a gas (or 'fuel') to run in an enduro?

One major stumbling block is that the computer cuts the fuel when the brake pedal is pushed, so no left-foot braking.

JamesB
10-15-2005, 11:31 AM
The euro TDI makes 150 out of the box with nearly the same exhaust but bigger injectors and a diffrent fuel map. But yes, I have seen the tuning capabilities of this car and its pretty amazing, their are a few autocrossing in various regions under SM.

I think the corner workers would have to get used to the cloud a TDI makes at full throttle. Even on biodiesel it makes some every time.

Bildon
10-15-2005, 12:06 PM
TDi Torque :023: :119:

The boys in WOB are doing wonders with the TDi.
I saw one at the Ring that had so much torque that it needed Viper gearbox internals to deal with it. I think it was making 600-700 lb-ft! In a 4cyl. Jetta! :happy204:

So I don't see us managing turbo diesel legality anytime soon in IT.

OTLimit
10-16-2005, 12:48 PM
If someone wants to buy me one, I'm sure that Chris would be willing to work it over and let me drive it to work everyday. :D

m glassburner
10-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Lesley...when (and if) I win the "powerball" I'll buy three,one to race,one for my daily driver and one for you :) would you like a jetta wagon ?? :)

lateapex911
10-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by m glassburner@Oct 16 2005, 02:09 PM
Lesley...when (and if) I win the "powerball" I'll buy three,one to race,one for my daily driver and one for you :) would you like a jetta wagon ?? :)

What about the rest of us??? What are we, chopped liver??

I'll take the Toureg diesel v10, thankyou very much, and happily tow my dinky (to that torque monster!) trailer across the country in perfect luxury!

m glassburner
10-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Copped liver ?? heck no. My primary purpose with the tdi would be endurance racing:) How would you like to be a driver at the 25hr. race ?? Or a 12 hr. race ?Could you imagine doing a double stint oh lets say 4hrs in a car like that?? Can you say depends?? :D

lateapex911
10-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by m glassburner@Oct 16 2005, 03:05 PM
Copped liver ?? heck no. .....Could you imagine doing a double stint oh lets say 4hrs in a car like that?? Can you say depends?? :D

That's cHopped liver, LOL..;)

I did a 3 hour enduro alone once, and at the end, the bathromm was the LAST thoing on my mind!

m glassburner
10-16-2005, 06:50 PM
I've never done well in spelling bees :P can you tell?

Geo
10-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911@Oct 16 2005, 10:02 PM
That's cHopped liver, LOL..;)

I did a 3 hour enduro alone once, and at the end, the bathromm was the LAST thoing on my mind!

That's bathroom, LOL. ;)

Knestis
10-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Back in the '80s, a friend of mine had a seat in a Consulier (look that one up) at the Nelson Longest Day. One of his co-drivers radioed in that he needed to pit, 'cause he had to go and was pointed told by the team manager to "shut up, piss in the seat, and keep driving." It wasn't Steve's car so he didn't care but it was an insight into a mindset.

My fave is the story of Gianpiero Moretti pooping his drawers rather than coming in, when he won Daytona with Mad Max. But then, you see little old Italian ladies peeing by the Autostrada: They just don't have the potty taboos that 'mericans do. Blame it on the stand-up, "bombsight" toilets" that they have over there...

I did the NASA 3.5 hour enduro at VIR solo this spring and it was really fine in that respect. I had a drink bottle and emptied it, having started pretty hydrated, so the water went somewhere. Some of it went into the seat but not through me: I let the hose dangle between my leg and the bolster of my Recaro, and squeezed the bite valve enough that I suffered from some embarassing wetness.

K

EDIT - Geez, what a highjack.

lateapex911
10-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by m glassburner@Oct 16 2005, 06:50 PM
I've never done well in spelling bees :P can you tell?

LOL... :happy204: touche' Geo!!!

And I have obviously failed more than one typing class!!

Bill Miller
10-17-2005, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Knestis@Oct 16 2005, 09:28 PM
Back in the '80s, a friend of mine had a seat in a Consulier (look that one up) at the Nelson Longest Day. One of his co-drivers radioed in that he needed to pit, 'cause he had to go and was pointed told by the team manager to "shut up, piss in the seat, and keep driving." It wasn't Steve's car so he didn't care but it was an insight into a mindset.

My fave is the story of Gianpiero Moretti pooping his drawers rather than coming in, when he won Daytona with Mad Max. But then, you see little old Italian ladies peeing by the Autostrada: They just don't have the potty taboos that 'mericans do. Blame it on the stand-up, "bombsight" toilets" that they have over there...

I did the NASA 3.5 hour enduro at VIR solo this spring and it was really fine in that respect. I had a drink bottle and emptied it, having started pretty hydrated, so the water went somewhere. Some of it went into the seat but not through me: I let the hose dangle between my leg and the bolster of my Recaro, and squeezed the bite valve enough that I suffered from some embarassing wetness.

K

EDIT - Geez, what a highjack.

Wow Consulier, haven't thought about those for a while. I wonder what ever happened to all the cars? I remember seeing one show up at a couple events in the late 80s/early 90s. Strange looking cars for sure!

Geo
10-17-2005, 07:32 AM
They still make them.

Wreckerboy
10-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Didn't Consulier morph in some fashion into Mosler, or was there some sort of legal action that resulted in that? There used to be one (turbo Dodge-em powered, IIRC) that ran all sorts of stupid fast at Bridgehampton in the early '90's.

Knestis
10-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Yup - that Dodge Omni GLH powered thing was what Steve ran. He was NOT particularly pleased with the build quality or strength, beating around NL.

K

lateapex911
10-18-2005, 07:28 PM
I was there. It ran in the "prototype" class, a catch all of psuedo "showroom stock" cars that wanted the overall. It was fast. It was sloppy. But it was REALLY ugly!

The Mosler is the current, but far removed version of it. At one point it had a split V windshield.

The thing looked so much better after 24 hours when it had dents and tire marks and dirt and scratches. As a matter of fact, the less stock the body, the better it looked!

Bildon
10-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Wreckerboy@Oct 18 2005, 10:48 AM
Didn't Consulier morph in some fashion into Mosler

http://www.moslerauto.com/mosautoweb/html/autos.htm

The new stuff is pretty nice finally....

http://www.moslerauto.com/

Wreckerboy
10-19-2005, 08:36 AM
Note that in the history section on the link Bill provided that there are no pictures of the split-window version.

m glassburner
10-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Well....I got my vts sheets in the mail today :023: I'm going to try and get the tdi classed in ss or the soon to be called "t" class...Any hints on where to find ALL of the information I need ? Also I'm not sure the options that were avaiable on the tdi?? ie suspension stuff...The car will not be competetive without some help..maybe the spec package they allow for the ssb vr6 ?? What are your thoughts?? thanx !!

Bill Miller
10-21-2005, 04:25 PM
THAT should make for a fun fuel test!

Knestis
10-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Before you get too involved in filling out forms, understand that the response is a foregone conclusion if you just request classification of the TDI - "No."

What you probably need to do, is write a letter requesting the creation of a new class, or specific changes to the SSS to allow classification of turbos and/or fuelies. Without a class where the car fits, there is no way that it CAN be seriously considered for classification.

Requesting classification in hopes that it will somehow create a class just won't work within the current system. You gotta be specific.

Now, if we were truly in the world of T3 and T4, you might have a shot. Turbos are already listed in the Touring category.

K

m glassburner
10-22-2005, 04:40 AM
Ok...now you have me confused :119: Is'nt touring the same as ss except for the shocks and rims?? I know some t cars are already turbocharged ,that's why I thought it might be the most logical fit. Unless you think it might be a better fit in IT?? I'm open for suggestions, ideas .... B)

Knestis
10-22-2005, 07:01 PM
I don't know all there is to know abou the Touring category but you are going to find an age cut-off there, I think - in that, once a car gets too old, it's no longer eligible. Turbo cars are listed but T2 is the slowest CURRENT T class, and this car ain't up to that, I don't think.

You may be talking T3 or T4, which as I understand it are going to replace SSB and SSC - a good thing, as far as that goes. There are NO turbos in SS at this point in time.

The TDi is a complete non-starter in IT under the current rules.

Hey - for all I know, someone in Topeka will think this is a great idea so why not go for it. I just have a suspicion that it's going to confuse the bee-jeebers out of them.

K

Bill Miller
10-22-2005, 11:41 PM
Kirk,

T3 is actually a currently defined class. It was Regional-only for '05, but the T3 cars were allowed to run as T2 cars in Nationals. There has been talked of changing SSB/C to T3/4, and merging the current T3 cars w/ the current SSB cars, for the new T3 class. I'll have to go back and look at the T3 cars and the SSB cars, but from what I recall, the T3 cars were a tick more powerful than the SSB cars.

Personally, I think they should keep T3, and convert SSB/C to T4/5.

Knestis
10-23-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm glad someone is keeping track of how things work... :)

K