PDA

View Full Version : MARRS 10: Mad Frog's end of season.

MadFrog
10-11-2005, 10:09 AM
My racing season is now officially over, and it was kind of reminiscent of the beginning of it, which is only fitting, after all.
As you may recall, I had my second SCCA school at Nelson Ledges, in the freezing rain and snow. This past weekend was quite wet, and the paddock quite muddy. Blah.

I was paddocked next to young gun Mark Carpenter - you know, another one of them annoyingly talented young whipper-snapper, driving a wicked fast 2nd Gen integra prepared by Anthony Serra - Brad Barnhouse in a Civic Si and Art Jaso in an unfortunately out-gunned MR2. Good people, all of them.

Anyway, down to the details. On saturday, as all you Northern VA area folks know, it was raining. A lot, all day. This time around ITA/ITB was in group 7, meaning our first qualification was late in the morning, and the second one in the afternoon.
After putting on the semi-treaded Toyos and looking longingly at Mark Carpenter's Dirt Stockers, we went to play on track. Well, it was wet, and I realized that I had never driven Summit in the rain. So I experimented with various lines, and qualified 17th overall, I think 10th in ITA. Not all that much fun since the car was hydroplaning in several spots, and the carousel was just awful. Standing water, and a river: ugh. A couple of cars went spinning in front of me, but i kept the car shiny side up and on track. Mission accomplished.
I talked to the King Rat about the rain line and got some good pointers. Thanks Alex!

The ITA and ITB drivers made and served lunch for the corner workers on saturday, and I went out there to help out. It was a very nice little lunch. We borrowed the Rattcliffe's grills (thanks! ) and grilled up some burgers and hot dogs, and had all the workers come over and grab some food. That was a very cool thing. We got to meet a lot of the people who watch over our collective asses and do a little something nice for them. I understand that other driver groups "just" get a catered lunch - which is nice, but I agree with Matt Yip (the ITA driver rep) that it doesn't have the personal touch. Anyway, any driver rep reading this: it would be a good thing to do in your region/group/sanctioning body.

For the second session, we were hopeful as the rain had abated a little, but as soon as we got on track, it started pouring - of course. I pulled in after about 4 laps: I couldn't see crap. The windshield was all fogged up (Fog-X does NOT work), and the wiper wasn't wiping enough water for me to see anything. After a Volvo almost collected me in the carousel (he started losing it, and I didn't see that until I was quite close to him) I just called it a day.
Looks like Alex's pointers were good as in 4 laps and no visibility whatsoever I was a second faster than in the first session. 16th on grid, 8th or 9th in ITA.

Thankfully, Sunday was dry. I showed up around 12:30 at the track, put on the shaved Toyos, topped off the gas and was ready to go. I like me a low maintenance car. The race start was pretty fucking ugly. As the green flag came out, I hit the gas and was immediately blown away by a yellow golf who must have started hitting the loud pedal WAYYYY early. He squeezed in between my car and the one next to me and proceeded to pound into the rear of an RX-7. He hit it on the passenger side, and actually drove OVER it with 2 wheels. Nice. I dodged that mess and proceeded to dodge another clusterfuck in turn one. I didn't know what happened other than there were a bunch of cars sideways, off track, and general pandemonium. I somehow managed to avoid getting hit and found myself in pretty good position.
In turn 10, a BMW went off right in front of me and threw up a gravel screen. You know that scene in days of Thunder when he drives through the smoke? Same thing here, on the outside of 10, except it wasn't smoke, it was gravel and rocks. I need a new windshield. After that, the race was pretty clean, other than a pretty Audi parking it outside turn 8, on fire. There was a yellow flag there for the last 3-4 laps of the race, unfortunately.
I hooked up behind John in a nice yellow RX-3 and we started having some fun. That was a total blast as I passed him 2 or 3 times, and he passed me back, like the rookie that I am. I got a run on him in 10, and he went on the inside in 1 - twice. I need to learn the defensive line through there.
On the last lap, I thought I had him, as the audi had left some oil in the carousel and he found it ( ) I was going to go under him, but there was that damn yellow flag and I couldn't pass. I then made a mistake. Instead of thinking ahead and setting him up for a run in 10 where I knew I could get him, I just kinda let up and drove, without thinking much about it. He crossed the finish line ahead of me. I was 4th though, exhausted and smiling.
We had a great clean race, I made a bonehead move on him passing him in 10. I had a good run, but timed it wrong and had to go way to the outside to avoid bumping him. He saw me at the last minute and gave me some room to get back on track without have to go through the grass.

The car ran well, and was much more predictable than before. I guess it's better when your camber stays the same throughout the corner. It does push more now, though: especially in turn 1 and 5. I was hoping to have some test time during qualifying, but the rain blew that idea. I will probably try to disconnect the front sway bar next time I am out on track, and see how that feels.

I was also trying the Carbotech XP-10s this weekend. I think I bedded them in ok in the rain, but who knows? It was definitely a bit too much brake in the wet. It was hard to modulate with non-rain tires, and standing water. When we got to the dry track though, they worked great. No fade, lotsa bite - harder pedal than the Cobalt Spec Bs. You can tell that these pads were meant for a heavier car and I locked up the front wheels a few times. Also, the pedal stays higher, which made me try harder to do proper heel-and-toe. I do like the fact that the backing plates are thicker, time will tell if they resist bending better than the cobalts. I think I like these pads quite a bit.

That's it for me this year.
Events:
1 HPDE, 2 schools, a 2-hour enduro, 3 MARRS races and 1 NASA weekend.
New tracks:
VIR, Nelson Ledges, CMP
Old track:
Summit Point

Next year... well, my wife is pregnant with kid #3. Which means that she is sick as a dog, and will be until she delivers. Which means I am going to have to stay home and watch the kids on the weekend. That also means that next year's racing budget just took a big ass hit. This was accidental. And this also means that I will be spending about 1 set of tires' worth on elective surgery next year to prevent further accidents. :shiver:
So we'll see. I may do just 2 SCCA races to keep my license current - preferably enduros to rack up as much track time as possible, or do the labor day MARRS double at Summit. A lot of this will depend on money and time.

I want to thank all the people I met this year at the tracks, and on line as well. The racing community, despite its love of bickering, bench racing and pissing contests (Well, mostly on HT anyway) is still the best damn bunch of people I have met to date. From the drivers who will go WAY out of their way to get their direct competitor back on track and racing, to the workers, officials and crews. Ya'll rock.

Peace out, y0!

mgyip
10-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by MadFrog@Oct 11 2005, 10:09 AM
From the drivers who will go WAY out of their way to get their direct competitor back on track and racing, to the workers, officials and crews. Ya'll rock.

Here, here!! Sebastien - hopefully you can make at least a few events next year other than the license keepers. It was certainly good to see you finish well this weekend. We really need to figure out how to either tap into Mark's talent pool or add weight to slow him down ;) Seriously - CONGRATULATIONS MARK!! NICE WIN!! :smilie_pokal:

My season finale wasn't quite as stellar but at least I ran the race and finished in a complete car. Heck, I even passed a couple of cars that weren't broken or otherwise damaged. Many thanks to my buddy Dave who loaned me his 2002 although I must say, the car certainly had it in for me. Without the help of Dave Toy, Matti Vikkala and especially Ron Willis who diagnosed the frozen mechanical advance, provided me with a replacement distributor and installed just before the race, I'd have sat out b/c 4500 rpms in a 2002 is slow enough to make an ITC car look fast :o

It was certainly an interesting and fun season - don't forget that the DC Region banquet is on Sat, 21 Jan 05. It would be fun to get the "herd" together for an evening of awards :unsure: , beverages :birra: and some good old-fashioned bench racing :eclipsee_steering:

Racerboy03
10-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Sebastien,

It was nice meeting you, congrats on 4th place, good thing I told you that you get a trophy for 4th. :023: I had one of those Days of Thunder scenes also on the 1st lap, driving past the spinning Alfa in a cloud of smoke saying "just drive right through it Cole!" then clear open track afterwards. Hope to see you next year some time, good luck and congrats on your 3rd child.

Matt,

I don't think my "talent pool" won me the race this weekend, but thanks for the congrats. Its a shame what happened at the start, I was hoping to try and keep up with Greg in the race, and would have been happy finishing 2nd with him in my sights. Regardless, it was an amazing feeling winning for the 1st time! Although some of the heavy-hitters didn't start, or show up. As John Cummins put it, "I pulled a rabbit out of my ass today!" lol. Hopefully, Ill see the General Li out there at MARRS 1, dont for get the dixie horn! B)

I really enjoyed racing with all you guys this year and hopefully will be a part of the full MARRS season next year. I liked racing here the most this year, and it was because of the great people that make up this region. Hopefully I can make it to that banquet and see some of you guys there.

-Mark

mowog
10-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by MadFrog@Oct 11 2005, 02:09 PM
The ITA and ITB drivers made and served lunch for the corner workers on saturday, and I went out there to help out. It was a very nice little lunch. We borrowed the Rattcliffe's grills (thanks! ) and grilled up some burgers and hot dogs, and had all the workers come over and grab some food. That was a very cool thing. We got to meet a lot of the people who watch over our collective asses and do a little something nice for them. I understand that other driver groups "just" get a catered lunch - which is nice, but I agree with Matt Yip (the ITA driver rep) that it doesn't have the personal touch. Anyway, any driver rep reading this: it would be a good thing to do in your region/group/sanctioning body.

As a worker I would like to thank all the ITA/ITB drivers for the lunch. It helped make the weather bearable.

-chris fox

RP Performance
10-12-2005, 06:33 AM
Congrats Mark on your win. I thought about running but did not go out in the rain to qualify with the car for sale. I did the same in Spec Miata to finish second and did not want to push my luck but if I knew that that Greg would have problems I would have. I had a very good time running with everyone this year and hope the best for all next year. Not sure at this time what my plans are for 2006? Maybe a 1.8 ITA Miata? Just kidding.

ITABrad
10-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by RP Performance@Oct 12 2005, 10:33 AM
Congrats Mark on your win. I thought about running but did not go out in the rain to qualify with the car for sale. I did the same in Spec Miata to finish second and did not want to push my luck but if I knew that that Greg would have problems I would have. I had a very good time running with everyone this year and hope the best for all next year. Not sure at this time what my plans are for 2006? Maybe a 1.8 ITA Miata? Just kidding.

Bret,
You had the season the rest of us dream about. Great job! It will be interesting to see where you go with that talent you have. I'm sure that whatever you decide to do, you will find a way to succeed. I would like to say I've enjoyed racing with you, but I never really got to see you with that 30 second lead you always had. Thirty fifth to second in Spec Miata WOW!
Brad

ajmr2
10-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Greetings. I hope this thing works. I'm a serious cyberphobe, so please be patient with me. It was great to see all of you at M10. Qualifying in the rain on Saturday put me up into the grid pretty well, so I was doing my Mexican rain dance on Sunday morning. No such luck. Almost perfect racing weather. I started 12th overall, 7th in class, so I was seeing the back end of cars I don't usually see until I get lapped! The start was interesting, to say the least. A big wreck behind me at the green flag, and another big wreck in front of me in turn 1. I'll leave the judgements to the wisdom of others. I think I closed my eyes, because all I saw was wagging tails and tire smoke. Anyway, by some miracle, I went from 12th to 3rd as we headed toward turn 3 and chased James Troxel's VW down the chute. I think we were both very surprised at our sudden good fortune, but he went off in 5 and I locked them up pretty good but managed to squeak by him. JEEZ, now I'm in 2nd place! Of course I knew my fate and I waited patiently for the guys to gather themselves back up and give chase. Long story short, I furiously battled my way back to 11th overall and 7th in class. Had a blast. Get to watch it all on tape.
A special congrats to Mark and his dad, a hell of a good run. Also to Matthew for gettin' it done, both the BMW prep and the workers' lunch! Great to see Brad and Deb and Sebastian, but let's face it, we missed Sean and Mo!

AJ

RP Performance
10-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by ITABrad@Oct 12 2005, 11:39 AM
Bret,
You had the season the rest of us dream about. Great job! It will be interesting to see where you go with that talent you have. I'm sure that whatever you decide to do, you will find a way to succeed. I would like to say I've enjoyed racing with you, but I never really got to see you with that 30 second lead you always had. Thirty fifth to second in Spec Miata WOW!
Brad

Thanks Brad, This was my fourth marrs championship since I started in ITA in 1994. I might run nationals next year since Spec Miata will be a National class for 06 but am not sure yet.

Matt Rowe
10-12-2005, 10:21 PM
I'll take the easy way out and let a short video show the highlights (and low lights) from my point of view on Sunday's race. And apologies to Scott Holman (car # 69) if you listening. It certainly wasn't my intention to turn you around, I just didn't have any more room to give up at turn 3.

MARRS 10 Highlights (http://pahillclimb.org/Video/2005_MARRS_X_Highlights.wmv)

mgyip
10-13-2005, 09:35 AM
I saw the "festivities" from the last row although all I saw was the top of the Rabbit as it bounced on two wheels and righted itself on the orange Volvo. I'm almost thankful that I wasn't in that pack of stupidity in the first lap.

Matt Rowe
10-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by mgyip@Oct 13 2005, 09:35 AM
I saw the "festivities" from the last row although all I saw was the top of the Rabbit as it bounced on two wheels and righted itself on the orange Volvo. I'm almost thankful that I wasn't in that pack of stupidity in the first lap.

Yeah, I spoke to Dave Teal who was one of the starters observing the green flag and he said no one on the starters bridge noticed the jump the rabbit got before any of us saw a green. Looking back at the video it looks like he moved up at least 2 rows before I can remember seeing the green which explains how he had enough closing speed to drive up the back of the RX-7 like a ramp.

I'll agree I was happy I wasn't right in the middle of that mess. and by the time I got to turn 1 I had already picked up about 7 or 8 positions. Nothing like a little rain during qualifying to mix up the grid. :119:

dave parker
10-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Matt Rowe
Thanks for providing the video of the melee on the start. I have been trying to piece together what Guy Frank's part of it was and now I can. He was fully responsible.

Now for the harder part.
[quote]
And apologies to Scott Holman (car # 69) if you listening. It certainly wasn't my intention to turn you around, I just didn't have any more room to give up at turn 3.]

After watching the video I would have to agree that you certainly do owe Scott Holman an apology. Did you go find him after the race? I also applaud you for being man enough to show us what you did and stand up for it.

cheers
dave parker
wdcr ITC#97

MadFrog
10-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Matt Rowe@Oct 13 2005, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I spoke to Dave Teal who was one of the starters observing the green flag and he said no one on the starters bridge noticed the jump the rabbit got before any of us saw a green. Looking back at the video it looks like he moved up at least 2 rows before I can remember seeing the green which explains how he had enough closing speed to drive up the back of the RX-7 like a ramp.

I'll agree I was happy I wasn't right in the middle of that mess. and by the time I got to turn 1 I had already picked up about 7 or 8 positions. Nothing like a little rain during qualifying to mix up the grid. :119:

he went by me so fast, I was actually screaming at him in the car! :) I couldn't believe how he launched of that damn RX-7. I would have been looking for him in the paddock if I were the RX-7 driver. I had a front row seat, and I sure wish I hadn't (again) forgotten my camera. B)

Racerboy03
10-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Anyone know of anyone who was at the track taking photos last weekend? Were the jordanmotorsports guys there?

-Mark

JamesB
10-13-2005, 07:03 PM
if they where smart they where home toasty and warm. But they probably needed a small boat to get any pictures from the inside area.

spnkzss
10-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Racerboy03@Oct 13 2005, 04:36 PM
Anyone know of anyone who was at the track taking photos last weekend? Were the jordanmotorsports guys there?
-Mark

As someone else said, they where home and toasty in their beds. They did not make it up for MARRS 10.